Best format to copy/paste formatted notes into Evernote?

Apologies if this is a stupid question but... 

What is the best language/format to create formatted notes for Evernote? I mean if you wanted to basically copy a formatted note (tables, images, font styles, all kinds of crazy stuff) from something else and paste it into an Evernote note, what would be the ideal form for that formatted note to be in so that when it is pasted, it doesn't lose any of the formatting?  HTML? Rich Text? Something else?

Here's a link to an example note with screenshots, etc., explaining what I'm talking about:

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5

I prefer to use a method that is consistent - not necessarily the best. 

• Simple Text: I will use copy and paste.
  • Web capture: 98% of my web captures use Evernote Clearly. On a few occasions I will use Evernote Clipper as the last resort.
  • Emails: The vast majority stay in my email program. The few I want in Evernote are forwarded to my Evernote account, using my Evernote email address. I never paste them in.
  • PDF's and Scans: 100% done by ScanSnap which automatically sends it to Evernote.
  • Heavily formatted documents are imported into Evernote in their native file structure (usually .DOC, .XLS, or .PPT) 

Thanks for the reply jbenson.

What I'm really wanting is to be able to create more elegant, richly formatted notes in Evernote, such as the one I linked to. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Is there a certain format that is the most consistent? 

For example, I've noticed that if I create a note with Calibri font, and then share it as a web page, it changes the font to Times New Roman (and skews alignment, etc.).  Even when I email notes (instead of copy/paste) it changes the font. Is there a certain coding (HTML or otherwise) or applicaiton, or whatever, that is best to use when creating formatted notes?  I've noticed that Outlook's Email editor seems to work best for me so far. But it's still not perfect.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, joshfree said:

Did you ever figure out the best format to paste into Evernote?

I've been testing out a new note app for Mac (called Bear) and have tried plain text, markdown, RTF and HTML and none of them is great. Any luck?

You had a problem pasting plain text!!!!

My problem happens when pasting complicated formatting into an existing note with complicated formatting; for example a table into a table

DTLow, sorry for not being clearer. The problem I'm having is in trying to find a way of pasting that retains the formatting and functionality of the source material -- same as everyone else on this thread. I tried plain text with markdown to see if Evernote understood it. It doesn't. So that is not an option, though it seems to me it would be a relatively simple and good solution.

Using RTF, Evernote retains some of the visual formatting but none of the structure, so bullets and numbering are no longer "live"... the bullet is copied, but not the ability (for example) to hit return and generate another bulleted line in the list.

These are very basic structural elements that work in pretty much all email clients, in many, many word processors including the simplest ones, in Apple Notes, in Bear, Notesy, Drafts, Notational Velocity, NVAlt, UpWord, etc etc etc. Seems to me Evernote should import and retain that information -- especially because it can create lists like that internally. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, joshfree said:

I tried plain text with markdown to see if Evernote understood it. It doesn't. So that is not an option, though it seems to me it would be a relatively simple and good solution.

Using RTF, Evernote retains some of the visual formatting but none of the structure, so bullets and numbering are no longer "live"... the bullet is copied, but not the ability (for example) to hit return and generate another bulleted line in the list.

These are very basic structural elements that work in pretty much all email clients, in many, many word processors including the simplest ones, in Apple Notes, in Bear, Notesy, Drafts, Notational Velocity, NVAlt, UpWord, etc etc etc. Seems to me Evernote should import and retain that information -- especially because it can create lists like that internally. 

For sure, Evernote doesn't support markdown.

I've had success pasting bullet/number lists from web pages; an html>html transfer
No ideas on the other sources

Archived