Penultimate vs. Noteledge for iPad

mroyse

Penultimate is a wonderful product. I try to use it however it is missing something that I dearly need. A Palm Rest like is in the app NoteLedge.  It allows a palm rejection slide in that lets me rest my wrists with NO issues.  Have you considered something like this? I find it very difficult to write without touching the screen, and my addonit pen with the bluetooth doesn't help.

Well I too find the palm rejection while using my jot script to be a bit sporadic, but not terrible. I have used other apps with those rejection "panes" (I don't know what else to call them), such as notability and PDF Expert, and I like them, but I do find it to be almost a bit more intrusive to the overall experience. 

That being said, a lot of our fellow users here have found Penultimate to not be the ideal note taking application, rather unfortunately! Best to use what works for you right now! That being said, Evernote staff do read these posts so you can consider your 'complaint'/request recognized. If you want a direct response from staff you could submit a support ticket (see my signature). 

Evernote and Penultimate are being rapidly developed so I imagine we will see ongoing changes/improvements, but if Penultimate just isn't working for you right now, then use the best tool for the job!

I don't know of any application that syncs with EN that offers good annotation. 95% of my PDFs are in dropbox and are annotated in PDF Expert on my ipad (or Preview on my Mac).

While I would love to keep all of my PDFs organized in Evernote, there are a few reasons I don't. 1) My research group works out of dropbox so our 2+gb collection of academic literature lives there and there's no way I'll convince my less-than-tech savvy colleagues to make the switch.

2) Annotating in Evernote is not as slick as I'd like, in general, and as such I keep my articles, for now, in a place that offers the ultimate flexibility in terms of what applications I CAN use. 

If there is a change in how iOS handles files (so that opening a file from one app in another doesn't create copies that you the need to clean up),  or there are changes/improvements to annotation in Evernote, I'd definitely reconsider my workflow. 

• 4 weeks later...

Annotating in EN is *****, let's face it... I use NotetakerHD on my iPad, but I'm interested in how you use preview on your Mac Scott.

Can you draw on it? Or do you type only? I have a Magic Trackpad, if that's of any use?

Ok, no problems... I wonder if it will let me write on it? One way to find out I guess!

Preview doesn't allow freehand drawing on PDF files. You can do shapes and lines and insert text, and insert notes and highlights. That's about it! 

in your experience what do you use that WILL sync with EN.  I am 100% paperless, and need a quality app that I can doodle, note take etc, and sync with EN.

And @Scott,

I am experimenting with ZoomNotes, Upad, NoteLedge and EleEditor.  Have  you tried any of these?  If so, what is your experience?

in your experience what do you use that WILL sync with EN. I am 100% paperless, and need a quality app that I can doodle, note take etc, and sync with EN.

And @Scott,

I am experimenting with ZoomNotes, Upad, NoteLedge and EleEditor. Have you tried any of these? If so, what is your experience?

Hmmm I've never used any of those. I pretty much get by with PDF Expert on my iPad, preview on Mac, and Evernote from time to time.

I'll take a look at those apps though, because I love new stuff, especially if it makes things easier!

• 1 month later...

I find that the Moleskine ipad app has a very good handwriting facility, it allows me to implement a good hand guard, and its writing recognition is better than Penultimate, the only drawback being that I have to export each page individually to Evernote, and it then stores them separately, not ideal but the only way round that I have found so far!

Archived