(Archived) Conflicting Changes How?

crbdc

Idea

I had my files in evernote divided among several notebooks. I decided that I wanted to have less notebooks and use tags. So I dragged the files from several notebooks into one. I then got a 'conflicting changes' notebook that I'd never gotten before. I checked help in the menu bar, and amazingly nothing. I deleted the conflicting notebook and lost the files (my fault) and I'd like to avoid that happening again.

I don't use the web interface, and haven't used my iphone for evernote in a week.

1. Can someone please explain to me how moving files in evernote on my mac and doing nothing else results in a conflicting changes notebook.

2. How can I solve this if it happens again without losing files.

Thanks.

4 replies to this idea

# 3. I back my mac weekly. I dragged the evernote database from my backup to my mac. I replaced my screwed up database with the weekly backup.

Great, all my files are back.

Except, the web version has the screwed up database, and no matter what I do it replaces my evernote mac database. In other words, desktop evernote is fine now, but syncing ruins it. I don't see a way to force a sync one way to the web.

So any ideas?

My best guess is that the notes had been modified in some way on another client (or on the web) before you moved and synchronized them on your mac to create the conflict.

Evernote's sync works like a mail system ... the web service shows the current state of your account, and the clients have cached copies that you can use offline. But the clients will always try to update to the "latest" information from the service.

If you have notes in your local database that have been deleted from the service, you can Export them from the local client to an .enex file, then sync, and Import them to create new notes with the same contents.

If you have notes in your local database that have been deleted from the service, you can Export them from the local client to an .enex file, then sync, and Import them to create new notes with the same contents.

well, that sounds like a perfect solution, i wonder, if user crbdc will tell us, if this worked for him? or for any other user which had the same trouble?

Archived