Evernote disappeared from i-phone

My Evernote app icon has disappeared on my Iphone. I cannot get it back when I go to the App Store

Please advise

Mark

Evernote should always be available from the App Store. Do you see EN in the App Store? If so, do you tap buy/install (I forget the exact verbiage when it's an app you've already installed). If so, what happens? What version iPhone do you have? What version OS is it running? I think Evernote is only available for iOS 7. If you're not using 7 and you had Evernote previously & have an iTunes backup, you may be able to get the old version from your backup, IDK. You need to be more specific.

Something very similar to this happened to me too. This morning I opened my iPad Air and the Evernote icon is gone. If I look in the Apple App Store I can still see that Evernote is listed as one of the apps I have purchased. However if I try the "Open" button for Evernote in the App Store, nothing happens. I don't believe I have used Evernote since late Wednesday night, May 7. I can also see in the App Store, under Updates, that it says I received an Evernote update May 9, 2014, version 7.3.5, 39.2 MB. My iPad is on iOS 7.1.1

I have also checked Evernote on my laptop (Microsoft Windows 7, Enterprise version). The Evernote icon is still there, but when I try to start Evernote nothing happens.

I also logged in to Evernote via the website. I can see changes I made to one of the tabs from Wednesday night, however the tab I use the most appears to be completely gone. Gulp.

On iOS, try navigating from your home screen:

Settings>general>usage

And wait for the list of applications to populate (May take 30secs or so depending on how many you have)

Does Evernote appear here? If so, tap on it and delete it from here. Then revisit the App Store and see if you can download it.

If Evernote is NOT there.... Then I am at a loss.

Thanks for the idea Scott. Evernote did appear in the Settings>General>Usage area, and listed about 40MB in data. I deleted it as you described, then went back to the App Store. The option in the App Store for Evernote had changed from the "Open" button to the "download from the cloud" symbol. I downloaded it (clock/timer symbol spun around to completion). When I tapped the now available "Open" button, nothing happens again/still -- nothing starts or launches. Also checked and the Evernote app icon is still not on my iPad. Going back to Settings>General>Usage shows Evernote data has dropped from 40MB to 8.0KB. Otherwise, the problem still seems to be the same.

Have you tried rebooting your device? If that doesn't work, you might consider backing up your device to iCloud or your computer, restoring it (that means erase EVERYTHING) using iTunes, the reload from the backup you had just made. 

Restoring from a backup is a bit onerous, while retrieving a backup makes things a bit easier you'll inevitably have to do some tweaking to get things just right again. Though it is one of THE best ways to clear the cobwebs. (The next step is to restore WITHOUT a backup, but this is a real chore to get things back set up the way you like).

You might also try searching, and if you haven't found your answer, posting on the Apple Support Communities (http://discussion.apple.com), since I don't think this is necessarily an Evernote-specific problem. There may be a bit more general iOS expertise over there. Lots of great folks roaming that community too. 

In another thread about the same issue:

Some potential help from the apple community:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25576305

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18136619#18136619

Ah, and while I was searching for that, I came across this little iOS tidbit I didn't know existed:

Settings>general>reset home screen layout.

It seems that a lot of users who had "missing apps" along the same lines as you (sometimes users were even missing the App Store application!) found using this solved their issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17223837

Of course this might mean you need to rework your app icon layout, but you can speed the process up by snagging screenshots of each page of your home screen (press the home and sleep button simultaneously). This way you can use those as a guide and you'll be back in action pretty quick. 

It has a built in web browser that theoretically could be used to view adult content, as such Apple requires the 17+ rating. Same thing for applications like 1password which has a built in browser. Google Chrome for iOS too is 17+ I believe. It's a very odd and somewhat clumsy App Store rule developers must adhere to.

So this will never change?

Can evernote disable the built in web browser if the age restriction is set?

Since this is Apple's policy, whether this changes or not is up to them not Evernote. 

If the browser could be disabled by the user, I think Apple would still enforce a 17+ rating because there is still the possibility that the user/device admin simply does not disable the browser in the application settings. Even then, what is to stop a child or user from just re-enabling the browser? 

As far as I know, it is not currently possible for an application to dynamically change its features based on an OS-level setting. As such it is not possible for the Evernote application to say "It looks like the user has enabled age restriction on this phone. I should disable my browser", to which the OS would then respond "I see that Evernote has recognized the parental restrictions and disabled its browser, I should let the application remain visible". This level of communication isn't possible. 

This is the unfortunate reality of the iOS ecosystem. The trouble is that there have been some legal issues surrounding application age ratings that Apple had to respond to, and this is the result. See some of the cause and fallout:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/04/apple-highlights-age-ratings-in-ios-app-store-with-new-icons/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/04/apple-adds-age-rating-tags-to-ios-app-store-descriptions

http://voltmagonline.com/why-apps-like-vine-have-the-17-age-rating-on-them/

http://www.mobileworldlive.com/apple-highlights-app-store-age-ratings

One possible workaround is, if you are at a institution or have users on a VPN, to block access to adult content at the network level (e.g., through your institution's network administration software) and lift the OS-level parental restrictions. Clearly this is not ideal but such is the tension that exists between Apple's response to legal challenges, the limits of the OS, and your own needs. 

I tried the iPad restart -- no luck. So I checked the age restriction settings and moved it from 12+ to none. It worked! We changed that settings back around December of last year when we first got it, so not sure why it stopped working now (maybe due to the May 9 Evernote update?).

My laptop still didn't work (icon was there, but it wouldn't start Evernote when clicked). So I rebooted it this morning and now it is working. Not sure why both the iPad and laptop quit working at the same time, but I'm happy to be back in business.

Thank you for all of the input and ideas! You have been so helpful.

Glad you got it sorted out! Always happy to help! Learned a few things myself (home screen reset and the age restriction thing were new to me!) that I am sure will be helpful in the future, you folks aren't the first to have their various icons mysteriously disappear! Now I probably know what advice to give. 

• 4 months later...

On iOS, try navigating from your home screen:

Settings>general>usage

And wait for the list of applications to populate (May take 30secs or so depending on how many you have)

Does Evernote appear here? If so, tap on it and delete it from here. Then revisit the App Store and see if you can download it.

If Evernote is NOT there.... Then I am at a loss.

This worked for me, you are AWESOME!  Not sure why it disappeared off of my phone though.  It was not on my phone, yet when I went to app store it thought it was on my phone and I could not open it.  I'm so very happy!

Archived