Notes in shared notebook, doesn't get deleted on client

RasmusDK

Hi, 

So my girlfriend and I both got the Evernote client on our Windows PC's (One with windows 8 and one with Vista). 

I have shared a notebook, that my GF got full rights on, and that is synced to her client. 

Lately we have seen a specific issue more and more which is this:

When I delete a note in the shared notebook, the note stays in her notebook, even after we have synced both clients. I can see that the content of our other notes is synced, but for some reason the delete of the note does not get registered.

We have checked through the web interface, that the note is deleted on the servers.

We have tried deleting her repository/local DB from Evernote, and when we do that, and make a new sync, then she gets the right notes, however the next time I delete a note, the same thing happens.

If she tries to delete the same note in here system, then she will get an error when she tries to sync - most likely it seems that the delete info send to the server gives an error, as the note doesn't exist anymore.

I should mention that some of the notes in the notebook are created through a 3. party app (developed by me) and the API, but I know the problem have been there both for notes I have created through the regular client and through the 3. party app, and the 3. party app never deletes any notes. 

So I hope that someone knows a permanent fix for this - hopefully a solution where we still can use the Windows client, or that the developers of the Evernote client can fix the local DB, so that it gets updated correctly, if that is the issue. 

Best regards, 

Rasmus

Same thing here!

I share ideas and photos with my architecte, and this situation just happened to me a few minutes ago.

The note that I deleted in my notebook still appears in the shared notebook. I have tried syncing a few times, but that didn't work.

And at the same time, the new added notes are syncing ok.

Thanks!

Luc

Hi, 

So my girlfriend and I both got the Evernote client on our Windows PC's (One with windows 8 and one with Vista). 

I have shared a notebook, that my GF got full rights on, and that is synced to her client. 

Lately we have seen a specific issue more and more which is this:

When I delete a note in the shared notebook, the note stays in her notebook, even after we have synced both clients. I can see that the content of our other notes is synced, but for some reason the delete of the note does not get registered.

We have checked through the web interface, that the note is deleted on the servers.

We have tried deleting her repository/local DB from Evernote, and when we do that, and make a new sync, then she gets the right notes, however the next time I delete a note, the same thing happens.

If she tries to delete the same note in here system, then she will get an error when she tries to sync - most likely it seems that the delete info send to the server gives an error, as the note doesn't exist anymore.

I should mention that some of the notes in the notebook are created through a 3. party app (developed by me) and the API, but I know the problem have been there both for notes I have created through the regular client and through the 3. party app, and the 3. party app never deletes any notes. 

So I hope that someone knows a permanent fix for this - hopefully a solution where we still can use the Windows client, or that the developers of the Evernote client can fix the local DB, so that it gets updated correctly, if that is the issue. 

Best regards, 

Rasmus

I have been having this exact experience for a few months now & through several upgrades of the Evernote app.  There have been several posts on this topic, so this is not an isolated incident.  I have submitted this issue on ticket # 508270 & the reply was that the support person could not recreate the situation.  I just confirmed the incorrect behaviour persists in the latest version 5.4.0.3698 (271698).  They said (yesterday) it would be escalated but that's all I've heard.

oooh, I so hoped it was fixed in the new release that I got today :(

I also got a support ticket on it #509246 - haven't recieved a reply on it yet - I mention this thread in the support ticket.

But happy to read, that they have mention an escalation of the issue.

I am thinking of becoming a premium user of Evernote, as I use it for a lot of stuff everyday - but this is kind of a deal breaker for me, as it really stops the flow in our daily rutines, and my plans to use shared notebooks even more isn't really relevant if this problem persists. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have also raised a ticket (#5382449) on this and submitted them activity logs. It is clearly a bug in the windows client.

This together with the issue of changed shared notebook names not being syncd renders the share function close to useless.

Let's see if and when they get this ever fixed.

For me this will be a measure of how seriously EN take their job of making their software more reliable.

Same with me, several emails, last one says: "We want to let you know that we are looking into this issue, we will contact you back as soon as possible"

I wonder why they just don't simulate it themselves. It is easily 100% reproducible. It's a reliable bug ;-) completely described in your 1. post.

Well, I have described it in an e-mail to them again, very step by step, and I have linked them to this post. 
Lastly (a few hours ago) I also wrote back and asked if they had tried reproducing it - because yes it seems to be a reliable bug. 

btw. I also got this message  "We want to let you know that we are looking into this issue, we will contact you back as soon as possible" - but shortly after I got an e-mail from a new person at EN, asking me to test something (which I had just tested the day before, with the first supporter). 

Anyway, I am happy that EN are responding to the support ticket, and I hope they will solve it. I will keep communicating with them as much as possible to try and help as much as possible with the solution. 

I too, have sent detailed instructions on how to create this problem on demand.  Furthermore, in my testing, since the problem is 100% with the Windows client (IE, if you log into the same account with any other client, the "ghost notes" are not there - they live only in the Windows client), it would be/should be safe to delete those notes from the Windows client if you want to keep your Windows database current.  However, IME, when you do that, it generates a perpetual sync error on the Windows client & the only way to get rid of it is to rebuild your Windows client database.  Not a terribly big deal for me, since the account in question is one of my smaller accounts with only ~5,000 notes.  But it's crazy to think that this has now become part of my workflow:

• amass several hundred notes in the secondary account that I want to transfer to my main account
  • move them to the shared notebook & sync
  • move them to the correct notebooks & tag appropriately, when needed, in the main account via the web client
  • rebuild Windows client database for the secondary account to eliminate "ghost notes"

I also pointed out this was a newly introduced bug, since a year ago, this was not happening.  I can't pinpoint a date or an EN version number, but I'd guess it's been going on roughly ~4 months???  And clearly through more than a few Windows client updates.  FWIW, Geoff (Gbarry) has said he's brought some issues (including this one) to the attention of some other key EN folks (I don't think I'm violating any privacy issues with this information.)  So hopefully, this will be fixed soon.

(crossing fingers & toes)

• 2 weeks later...

I received this email yesterday:

"I would like to update you on this issue. The fix has been identified and is coming soon. I apologize I do not have an official date. You may get a notification at some point in the future that the system has closed out your ticket. Don't worry about that. The case has a flag on it for followup on bug resolution, so you will still be notified. I appreciate your patience"

thanks for letting us know :)

The last mail I got, was that it was sent to "development team for review". So there might be hope.

Still thinking about paying for the premium service, if they get this to work, as it will open up for a lot in my workflow with others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived