Tags erased on deletion

DrGaellon

When I delete a note (which sends it to the Trash folder), it erases all my tags. If I then restore the note, the tags are gone. Is this by design, or is it a behavior I can modify? If it not modifiable, I'd like to request that the behavior be changed. As long as the note is restorable, the tags should be preserved until the note is permanently deleted.

• Level 5*

Erases all of your tags, or just the ones in the note? It shouldn't delete any tags. This is not by design, and nothing I've ever seen. If it's happening to you, then it's a bug, but I don't think that I have a clear picture of what you're actually doing. In any case, it sounds like something that you should report to support; see the link in my signature.

• Level 5*

OK, wait a sec, I think I get it. What you're seeing is tags stripped from a note when you delete it? Yes, that's the case, and I believe it's by design. Are you getting a note deletion confirmation when you do this? 

I'm not sure I'm getting a confirmation (but if there's an option to turn off confirmations, I probably did).

As I said, I think that's less-than-useful if there's an option to restore a note - if I restore it, I want it back with its original tags.

Hi DrGaellon,

I just want to make this clear for others looking in the future.

Just tested on a Windows laptop and can confirm that it does not delete the Tag.

If you create a Note, create a Tag then sync. Confirm that it has gone to the cloud if you want by looking at your account on the web.

Delete the Note, sync again and the Tag is still there.

However, as you are stated, when you restore the Note the Tag does not then associate with the Note again. Not sure if there is a way of getting around this to be honest. But no harm in asking if it can be including in a future update.

Best regards

Chris

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

Interesting.... just tested this out myself, and on my Mac it keeps the tag... what a strange difference across platforms. 

Confirmed, in EN Mac 5.5.2, when you delete a Note, it does NOT remove/unassign the tags that were assigned to the Note.

This is VERY MUCH how I prefer it.

But I'm with you Scott, I see no justification for the behavior being different in EN Win.  I can't see how the platform would make any difference.

Evernote Management:  Is there a common set of design requirements that both EN Mac and EN Win must meet?

• Level 5*

Feature Request: That the tags on windows clients are not removed from the note when it is Trash(ed), so that when items are restored that the tags remain? The notes however should remain unsearchable by tags or otherwise when in trash.

Fortunately, this is already how it works in EN Mac 5.5.2 (let's hope they didn't  s c r e w  this up in v5.6).

Archived