Why does Evernote have to reinstall every time I shut down / boot up?

gcniner

I've used Evernote for quite some time.  On my iPhone it sticks around; but on my PC (Toshiba Satellite) it disappears from the notification center and desktop every time I shut down the laptop.  No, I do NOT log out of Evernote when I'm done.

It remains in the program list, so I go there and restart it, which takes it through the reinstall.process.  It is the most up-to-date version, by the way.  It syncs with my iPhone just fine, both directions.

Why does it disappear from the notification center, taskbar and desktop when I shut down?  Any ideas?

Is it possible the program itself is still on your machine and it's the shortcut icon that keeps disappearing? I know whenever the Windows version updates, I generally have to recreate and pin the shortcut icon back to my taskbar.

I've used Evernote for quite some time. On my iPhone it sticks around; but on my PC (Toshiba Satellite) it disappears from the notification center and desktop every time I shut down the laptop. No, I do NOT log out of Evernote when I'm done.

It remains in the program list, so I go there and restart it, which takes it through the reinstall.process. It is the most up-to-date version, by the way. It syncs with my iPhone just fine, both directions.

Why does it disappear from the notification center, taskbar and desktop when I shut down? Any ideas?

• Level 5*

There's a registry key or a Windows install file that flags to Evernote that it has a 'live' installation,  and if that's set wrongly or missing Evernote assumes it has to reinstall.  It's a nuisance but not a major issue.  AFAIK the best fix is to thoroughly uninstall your current application with the free version of Revo uninstaller,  and reinstall the current version from scratch.  I've also found that if you ignore the reinstalling message a few times it does eventually go away... but that might also have been because I updated the version I was using.

Archived