Feature request: easier way needed to re-organize tags

Mark78

First, a huge THANK YOU to the Evernote company and it's community of users for a FANTASTIC product. I have been using Evernote for 4 years now on Windows, iOS and Android. Evernote on each platform is 5-star and has done so much for getting my brain organized and my information accessible, as well as useable. And it just keeps getting better and better. I frequently recommend Evernote to others.

Speaking of getting better and better: One weakness of Evernote for Windows is that the only way to reorganize tags is by click and drag over a list of tags. That's fine if someone has 100 tags or less, but I have over 1500 (in an Evernote database of over 12,000 notes). Clicking and dragging a tag in the vertical list is a terribly inefficient and error-prone method of moving a tag into another tag. Let's say I have a tag called "Verizon" and I want to drag it into a tag called "Bills", so that "Verizon" becomes a sub-tag of "Bills". I have to drag the "Verizon" tag past 1000 other tags. The chance for error is high. 

I requested this feature a few years ago and still have not seen it: PLEASE give us a better way to organize tags! May I suggest that being able to mult-select tags, then right-click them, find an item called "Move to tag...", which brings up a dialog containing the tag list, where I can select the destination tag, click and voila! Those tags are now child tags to another tag. This improvement would be of tremendous benefit to all Evernote users.

THANK YOU for such a great product and THANK YOU for implementing a better way to organize tags!

A huge Evernote fan,

Mark

• Level 5*

The tag list in the left panel is not the only way to organize your tags. You should investigate the tag panel (click on the "Tags" header in the left panel). Tags are displayed in their hierarchical form, but across multiple columns. You can filter your tags (i.e., filter out tags from shared notebooks, etc.), open and close subtrees, etc.. You can also multi-select a set of tags and reparent them under a different tag.

• Level 5*

One weakness of Evernote for Windows is that the only way to reorganize tags is by click and drag over a list of tags. That's fine if someone has 100 tags or less, but I have over 1500 (in an Evernote database of over 12,000 notes). Clicking and dragging a tag in the vertical list is a terribly inefficient and error-prone method of moving a tag into another tag. Let's say I have a tag called "Verizon" and I want to drag it into a tag called "Bills", so that "Verizon" becomes a sub-tag of "Bills". I have to drag the "Verizon" tag past 1000 other tags. The chance for error is high. 

I requested this feature a few years ago and still have not seen it: PLEASE give us a better way to organize tags! May I suggest that being able to mult-select tags, then right-click them, find an item called "Move to tag...", which brings up a dialog containing the tag list, where I can select the destination tag, click and voila! Those tags are now child tags to another tag. This improvement would be of tremendous benefit to all Evernote users.

THANK YOU for such a great product and THANK YOU for implementing a better way to organize tags!

A huge Evernote fan,

Mark

Mark, I completely agree with the issue you have pointed out, and with your suggested solution!

Furthermore, you need not have 1500 tags for this to be a problem.  It is a problem if you have more Tags than will fit on the screen, which is about 70-80. 

The tag list in the left panel is not the only way to organize your tags. You should investigate the tag panel (click on the "Tags" header in the left panel). Tags are displayed in their hierarchical form, but across multiple columns. You can filter your tags (i.e., filter out tags from shared notebooks, etc.), open and close subtrees, etc.. You can also multi-select a set of tags and reparent them under a different tag.

You obviously don't have that many tags or you would know this is not a practical solution.  As Mark pointed out, if you have to drag a number of tags from one end of the Tag list to the other, even the Tag Panel is of little help with a large number of Tags (> 100).

• Level 5*

The tag panel is offered as a better way to manipulate tags than the tag tree, and one that exists today, not as an ideal solution. It is, in general, more practical than operating in the tag tree. To wit: "an easier way to re-organize tags".

• Level 5*

With a large number of tags, I don't see that the Tag Panel is materially easier to use than the Tag Tree, if you need to drag a tag from one end of the list to the other.

• 7 months later...

This really needs to be improved!  I just realized I was using the tags incorrectly and have 100+ tags - many only used 1 time.  I want to create a .Work  master tag category and put most of them in that group. It's very inefficient to be dragging/dropping these tags, but more importantly... it's very time consuming. If there were a way to view all the tags in a smaller format, maybe something like a Windows Explorer window/pane where they can be dragged from the right side and dropped on the left side - that would be a much quicker way to organize the tags.

Tags need an easy/fast way to be organized.

• Level 5*

This really needs to be improved!  I just realized I was using the tags incorrectly and have 100+ tags - many only used 1 time.  I want to create a .Work  master tag category and put most of them in that group. It's very inefficient to be dragging/dropping these tags, but more importantly... it's very time consuming. If there were a way to view all the tags in a smaller format, maybe something like a Windows Explorer window/pane where they can be dragged from the right side and dropped on the left side - that would be a much quicker way to organize the tags.

You can do that. Just press the Tags section in the left panel and you are able to drag the tags from the main window into the tag tree in the left panel.

You can do that. Just press the Tags section in the left panel and you are able to drag the tags from the main window into the tag tree in the left panel.

Thanks. It's not how I expected it to work....it was easier. 

Feeling a little silly now.

Archived