Notes sorting dilema

Phil777

Is there any way to make some notebooks sort their notes by title, and other notebooks to sort their notes by modified date? This is a huge need for so many reasons. For instance, I need my notebooks containing all my students' names to always sort alphabetically, but I need my teaching notes to always sort by modified date. Having to switch back and forth every time I access different notebooks is so annoying and such a waste of productivity. We would be really grateful to have this ability. I have taken the plunge and become an Evernote Premium user, but I was greatly disappointed that I could not find a way to accomplish this simple but vital sorting requirement. Maybe I'm just missing it... does anyone know how to achieve this on any Evernote platform -- Mac, iPhone or iPad?

Is there any way to make some notebooks sort their notes by title, and other notebooks to sort their notes by modified date? This is a huge need for so many reasons. For instance, I need my notebooks containing all my students' names to always sort alphabetically, but I need my teaching notes to always sort by modified date. Having to switch back and forth every time I access different notebooks is so annoying and such a waste of productivity. We would be really grateful to have this ability. I have taken the plunge and become an Evernote Premium user, but I was greatly disappointed that I could not find a way to accomplish this simple but vital sorting requirement. Maybe I'm just missing it... does anyone know how to achieve this on any Evernote platform -- Mac, iPhone or iPad?

I have deleted your other thread that is a copy/paste of this one. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

Currently, there is no way to have certain notebooks sorted one way & other notebooks sorted another. It is very easy to change the sorting method, when moving between notebooks. This has been discussed in other threads on the board, including some of the issues that would arise. Please use the search function, if you want more info.

• 3 months later...

I don't agree that when a notebook sort is different from the default, that you can easily make the change. I think an effort should be made to allow different sorting of different notebooks. I have run into this recently and I found it to be irritating to have to switch back and forth with the sorting when you jump between notebooks. Personally I favor being able to sort different notebook differently. That's just it, my personal opinion.

I don't agree that when a notebook sort is different from the default, that you can easily make the change. I think an effort should be made to allow different sorting of different notebooks. I have run into this recently and I found it to be irritating to have to switch back and forth with the sorting when you jump between notebooks. Personally I favor being able to sort different notebook differently. That's just it, my personal opinion.

It may be *irritating* to you, but making one click (two if you need to toggle between ascending/descending) after switching to a different notebook is still considered *easy*, IMO.

Well Mr. Moderator, you may not be affiliated with Evernote and it makes me wonder why someone who is not from Evernote responds to my comments. You appear to be saying, "It's my way or the highway." Like I said, "In my humble opinion" it would be good to have notebooks sortable differently for each notebook.

I would love to hear from an Evernote designer as to their opinion. In any event it looks like you have your mind set and those of us who may think differently are just out of luck. Thanks for your response, I can now scratch Evernote Forum off my list of usable forums.

Sincerely,

CJWelsh, W1PI

Any Hams reading this can join me on the *QRP* Conference Server on Echolink, Monday thru Saturday at 11 a.m. Eastern Time.

• Level 5*

I would love to hear from an Evernote designer as to their opinion. In any event it looks like you have your mind set and those of us who may think differently are just out of luck. Thanks for your response, I can now scratch Evernote Forum off my list of usable forums.

Uh, perhaps the designers have spoken based upon the way EN performs today?  

What you are requesting has merit, so perhaps an enhancement request would be in order.  BnF was providing her view of a workaround, just another opinion in the wilderness, though perhaps not the same as yours..

Well Mr. ClayW!PI, here's the thing. This is a USER'S forum, hosted by but not an official route to, Evernote the company. You expressed your opinion and BurgerNFries expressed *hers.* Everyone is welcome to post on this forum.

Evernote staff do read all the forum posts, but rarely participate.

If you wish to speak directly with Evernote, then please do refer to the below thread and do so. If you do not have a Premium or Business account, it is unlikely you'll hear much back from them, but you are free to try.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/#entry254984/

Well Mr. Moderator, you may not be affiliated with Evernote and it makes me wonder why someone who is not from Evernote responds to my comments. You appear to be saying, "It's my way or the highway." Like I said, "In my humble opinion" it would be good to have notebooks sortable differently for each notebook.

Sincerely,

CJWelsh, W1PI

Any Hams reading this can join me on the *QRP* Conference Server on Echolink, Monday thru Saturday at 11 a.m. Eastern Time.

Ever since I first encountered Evernote, I have been one of its strongest adhearents. I love the program and have been raving about it amongst my Amateur Radio friends. I was therefore very surprised when I made my first or second post in the forum and seemed to get a relatively negative response to a simple suggestion. One problem with the written word is that you can't always tell the attitude of the person responding to what you are saying. I'll assume that was what happened when I made my suggestion. I am sure the "Group Illustrious" is sincerely attempting to help users as much as possible.

Since I am not a commercial user and it seems that most of the emphasis is aimed at that group, I should just maintain a low profile and gleen as much information as I can without making waves or responding in a negative manner. I guess I shouldn't expect to get that warm and fuzzy feeling when I visit. Evernote is after all a FREE program to non commercial users and that's a good thing. I am therefore thankful for its availability and use. W1PI

Clay,

Okay I've had some time to calm down. You are quite right that tone cannot be accurately read on the internet. The problem I had with your response to BurgerNFries is that it did come across as targetting her for simply stating her own opinion in response to yours.

No-one was, or is, denying your right to express your opinion about what Evernote features, or lack thereof, are are good or bad. BNF responded to the OP's *query* about wanting to know if it was possible to sort certain notebooks differently from others. She clarified that it was not.

In the year or so that I've been on this forum, I've seen no evidence of what you term the "Group Illustrious." What I have seen is a fair amount of disgruntled users - free and paid - take out their frustrations with Evernote not being what they hoped or assumed it to be - on the very (unpaid) moderators who have gone out their way to help other us. Which is honestly what it felt like you were doing in your 2nd post on this thread, hence my own reaction.

ClayW1PI29 Aug 2014

Well Mr. Moderator, you may not be affiliated with Evernote and it makes me wonder why someone who is not from Evernote responds to my comments...

Can you see now, how you yourself came across? Just as an FYI, developers almost never respond to anything said on this forum.

I too, am a free user, but still quite active on the forum. I do know for fact that BNF and other now former mods fought, so to speak, quite hard for EN to continue providing full tech support for us free users. It didn't work, but they tried and yet as far as I know, all are paying users...so the implication that they don't wish to be as helpful to us free users, as they are to Premium or Business users, is wrong.

Anyway, sorry my own hackles stood up. I am just sick of the people I see doing their best to help others for zero compensation of any kind, being the target of other people's anger and frustration.

Ever since I first encountered Evernote, I have been one of its strongest adhearents. I love the program and have been raving about it amongst my Amateur Radio friends. I was therefore very surprised when I made my first or second post in the forum and seemed to get a relatively negative response to a simple suggestion. One problem with the written word is that you can't always tell the attitude of the person responding to what you are saying. I'll assume that was what happened when I made my suggestion. I am sure the "Group Illustrious" is sincerely attempting to help users as much as possible.

Since I am not a commercial user and it seems that most of the emphasis is aimed at that group, I should just maintain a low profile and gleen as much information as I can without making waves or responding in a negative manner. I guess I shouldn't expect to get that warm and fuzzy feeling when I visit. Evernote is after all a FREE program to non commercial users and that's a good thing. I am therefore thankful for its availability and use. W1PI

Sincerely,

CJWelsh, W1PI

Your opinion of what I am saying is wrong. Perhaps you can read simply read my post and not try to flavor it with any of your own Knee jerk reaction. Quite simply and with no hidden undercurrent...

It may be *irritating* to you, but making one click (two if you need to toggle between ascending/descending) after switching to a different notebook is still considered *easy*, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a response to BurgersNFries.

I want you to know that with your arrogant replies to posters in this thread you have single handedly made me decide to look elsewhere for software other than Evernote.

Why? Well all I wanted to do was to create some reminders and then sort them by the date they were due to occur, which seems totally impossible in this **** software. You would have thought that any imbecile could have worked out that people would have liked to do that.

Well judging by your responses to others quite valid questions this would seem unlikely to happen, so I'm taking myself off from Evernote if you're the standard of person that uses it.

If it's your life then I think you need to get one.......

• Level 5*

... Well all I wanted to do was to create some reminders and then sort them by the date they were due to occur ...

Evernote supports this currently! Depending on whichever version you're using, it might look slightly different, but here's a Windows screenshot to show you what to do:

63frXKXP8R-3000x3000.jpeg

Too late - I've gone back to One Note and am trying Intellinote as well.

However, whatever you say, it didn't do it on my Android smartphone which is where I really needed it - sorry, but it wasn't there. Anyway I've removed Evernote from both laptop and Android and never will bother with it again.

Cheers

I'm sorry to see folks leave a program that normally does do what you'd like to do. Unfortunately you folks are correct in the visible arrogance of some of the moderators. I can understand your dissatisfaction with this group. I am glad to see that others agree with my view of this group of responders. I had decided not to use this forum any more and only decided to look again when I received email that there were new comments here. It would have been so much better had those folks spent more time seeing if what features its users would like to have, instead of berating them as stupid for not wanting to use a feature that is definitely limited, no matter how easy it is to use.

It looks like some folks have reaped what they sowed.  Sorry to see you leave Mamparra but I certainly understand why you chose to do so. Good luck and regards.

It is interesting to note that those who were previously the most evangelical of "Evernote Evangelists" are now jumping ship, BnF included.

Our exasperation is now being shared by a significant number of former Power Users. 

Perhaps we weren't doing something wrong or asking for the wrong features after all.

Sigh. To be clear, no-one was *ever* doscouraged from making feature reqiests and BurgerNFries never attacked anyone. She freely shared her knowledge & experience, and stated opinions. In my experience, the very people who have left the most venomous posts about her are also the same people who took offense that she dared voice an opinion.

Has BNF occasionally snipped back at people who assumed the worst when reading one of her typically brief responses to questions they didn't bother to search for the answer before posting, then make assumptions about her original intent and reply angrily? Yes, who wouldn't? She has *donated* countless hours to helping other EN users, as have all the other former Evangalists...so rather than making assumptions about her motives, passing and posting personal judgement, perhaps it would be more useful to just contribute to the knowledge here on the forum, hmm...?

It is interesting to note that those who were previously the most evangelical of "Evernote Evangelists" are now jumping ship, BnF included.

Our exasperation is now being shared by a significant number of former Power Users.

Perhaps we weren't doing something wrong or asking for the wrong features after all.

Sigh. To be clear, no-one was *ever* doscouraged from making feature reqiests and BurgerNFries never attacked anyone. She freely shared her knowledge & experience, and stated opinions. In my experience, the very people who have left the most venomous posts about her are also the same people who took offense that she dared voice an opinion.

Has BNF occasionally snipped back at people who assumed the worst when reading one of her typically brief responses to questions they didn't bother to search for the answer before posting, then make assumptions about her original intent and reply angrily? Yes, who wouldn't? She has *donated* countless hours to helping other EN users, as have all the other former Evangalists...so rather than making assumptions about her motives, passing and posting personal judgement, perhaps it would be more useful to just contribute to the knowledge here on the forum, hmm...?

Meanwhile, moving away from the straw man and back to the point --

Even respected Power Users like BnF are now looking at alternatives to EN having become exasperated at how EN no longer suits their user case in much the same way that it hasn't suited others', albeit different, user cases in the past. 

Sincerely,

CJWelsh, W1PI

I was wondering the same thing about BurgerNFires. I did appreciate her comments but the tone seemed authoritative. I noticed she did not reply to this post. So I think it was just her tone was misinterpreted. She was just trying to be part of the Evernote Forum and share her perspective.

That being said. I'm new to the Forum and Evernote. I'd like to fiend easy to learn and quick reference materials on how to optimize my Evernote. If anybody has any suggestions please feel free to contact me.

Oh, and I know I'm not from Evernote staff or anything but I wanted to comment on your post. I enjoyed it and I'm curious if anybody gives you any options.

Sincerely,

CJWelsh, W1PI

I'm sorry to see folks leave a program that normally does do what you'd like to do. Unfortunately you folks are correct in the visible arrogance of some of the moderators. I can understand your dissatisfaction with this group. I am glad to see that others agree with my view of this group of responders. I had decided not to use this forum any more and only decided to look again when I received email that there were new comments here. It would have been so much better had those folks spent more time seeing if what features its users would like to have, instead of berating them as stupid for not wanting to use a feature that is definitely limited, no matter how easy it is to use.

It looks like some folks have reaped what they sowed.  Sorry to see you leave Mamparra but I certainly understand why you chose to do so. Good luck and regards.

No where did I say or imply ""It's my way or the highway."  No where did I berate anyone.  Nowhere have I said people should not ask for features.  Perhaps you can read the words I wrote & try to comprehend them.  There is no underlying agenda. 

I would also say that if my replies have caused you so much angst, that you should consider yourself fortunate b/c it's clear you have nothing of great importance to worry about, so you choose to fret about something so trivial as a post or two that you dislike.  Lucky you.

And since you're still "following" this thread, please feel free to unfollow it (top right of the top of the thread) so you won't have to be bothered again.  Oh wait, you could have simply ignored the email notification, if you really wanted to. 

Carry on.

Please point out where I ever said anyone should not ask for features or was asking for "wrong" features. 

Not that it's any of your business, but if you read my posts as to why I'm defecting (feel free to use the search function), you'll see it has nothing to do with something as trivial as this thread.  It's regarding core features that make Evernote totally unusable.  I only wish the "note sorting [dilemma]" was the worst thing wrong with my Evernote experience. 

Please point out where I ever said anyone should not ask for features or was asking for "wrong" features. 

Not that it's any of your business, but if you read my posts as to why I'm defecting (feel free to use the search function), you'll see it has nothing to do with something as trivial as this thread.  It's regarding core features that make Evernote totally unusable.  I only wish the "note sorting [dillemma]" was the worst thing wrong with my Evernote experience. 

"Please point out where I ever said anyone should not ask for features or was asking for "wrong" features..." -- It appears that in your opinion, people were asking for the wrong features here.

"...if you read my posts as to why I'm defecting..." -- I already know why you're defecting. I read the thread in the course of browsing the forum. My Evernote database is nowhere near as big as yours so your scaleability problems don't apply to me. In other words, to me, your problem is trivial. It's massively major to you of course. It may become a problem for me in the future but it isn't at the moment. We share concerns about Evernote's lack of communication and that their support system also falls down more often than users would like.

I note that you recognise that the "note sorting dilemma" may be wrong for some people's Evernote experience. In other words, for them, it is non-trivial even if it is not on the scale of your usability problems.

"Not that it's any of your business..." -- Here's a tip - if you want something to not be any of my business, don't post it on a public forum. See? I can be snippy and passive-aggressive too.

"(feel free to use the search function)..." -- I didn't need to use the search function as I'd already come across the thread. Whilst we're on the subject of searching the forums, the search function itself leaves a lot to be desired and it takes a lot of burrowing through posts to see if a similar problem has been posted before. So users just give up searching the forum and start a new thread. Yes, some users don't bother using the search tool but hey ho, it's the way of the internet forum and always will be and really isn't a threat to World peace.

Look, you're a respected member of this community and I recognise that you have been an enormous help to a great many people. But you are snippy and passive-aggressive in too many of your responses because you often view other people's problems as "trivial" when to those users, they are anything but. I am surprised you cannot see this.

The main point of my post that you quoted was that even the likes of you were looking at alternatives. Your use case is now being screwed up. Other people's use cases have also been screwed up but in different ways that were not trivial to them. That you are leaving is damning for Evernote and should give you a clue as to how much your presence here is respected. I genuinely hope you find a solution to your Evernote frustrations and you continue to share your knowledge on here when you can. 

Well I certainly stoked up an interesting discussion didn't I?

Anyway, apologies to BNF for being a bit harsh to start off with - as you can probably tell, I've got to that stage in my life that I need things that work: don't have the time to mess around. Which is why this thread has been really helpful - thanks to everyone that contributed. I basically had my suspicions about Evernote confirmed, most particularly by the fact that BNF doesn't use it either any more! Great, just what I needed - not that it's helped me that much simply because I'm now using One Note (as noted earlier) and finding it to be the typical poorly-designed Microsoft product. But at least it's part of my Office suite so that's a bit easier for me to use even if I don't get some of the functionality of EN or other products.

Referring to imagenomad's link to the Springpad story, this is a big reason why I've decided it's better to stick to One Note and not go, for example, the Intellinote route. The latter seems to be pretty good, but if it's going to collapse like SP apparently did, then the risk is too great. And as I said I just don't have the time to learn yet another package, or - worse - lose any data I might have on their server.

Anyway, everybody, many thanks for your input - highly appreciated.

And to Evernote?  ....... Bye!!!!!

Archived