(Archived) Student Best Practice - Annotate PDF text book scans

I'm in my late 40's and starting grad school in a few weeks. I work fulltime during the day and will take classes at night. My back can't handle lugging around two laptops (work and personal) and jumbo sized textbooks. I just got a great price on used text books at Amazon. (http://bit.ly/AmzTextBooks So great, in fact, that I'm willing to rip apart my first text book so I can just carry a chapter with me at a time. Seeing the recent announcement about searchable PDFs with Evernote Premium, I wondered about scanning these chapters into PDF files and not lugging any paper with me. This would be ideal but I will need to take notes in the files. I haven't used Evernote for PDFs yet so I'm not sure if this would be workable.

Any thoughts?

Any other best practices for students would be appreciated, as well. I use a Mac but also use VMWare with Office 2007 for a few of the classes. I was considering using OneNote for my school notes but if Evernote can do the trick I'd rather send my bucks to the Elephant!

In my opinion, it would be easier to scan + OCR directly before sending to EN (with OCR IRIS software for example, http://www.irislink.com. You have free version delivered with some Scanners (HP)). These OCR PDF files are usually far smaller than raw ones, and are faster to transfer to/from EN.

You can write short notes directly within PDF with Foxit reader.

In general, if you're using a decent scanner to scan black-and-white printed text, you don't need to use the absolute highest resolution color/greyscale scanning mode. You'll get just as good results at a fraction of the file size with a black & white scan ad medium resolution. The crazy high-rez modes are for scanning things like photos that require lots of subtle gradiations, etc. Text is pretty simple stuff.

Archived