Notebook deleted accidentally, no way to recover?

Jason Zhang

I had a problem with synchronization initially. There was a notebook which I had made a lot of updates recently using my phone (Android) not synchronized on my laptop (Windows). Reading on the forum suggested that I might need to delete notes with discrepency and re-install the application. So I made a backup (export) of the notebook, deleted it and re-installed Evernote. However, after the re-installed program got synchronized, it instantly deleted the same notebook on my phone as well. I tried to restore the backup made earlier to recover the notes, and thought I might be able to get my latest updates through notes history, but no history of these notes can be found. It seems once a note is deleted, all the history associated with it is instantly deleted as well and data is deleted on all the devices without further notification. This is really unexpected. Any way I can get my data back?

• Level 5*

In the windows client, the notes from the deleted notebook should wind up in the Trash. You can sort the Trash by deleted date to move those notes to the top of the list.

In the windows client, the notes from the deleted notebook should wind up in the Trash. You can sort the Trash by deleted date to move those notes to the top of the list.

Hi Jeff, thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I emptied trash as well, because I didn't see the trash folder on my phone (the Android client), so I thought it might also be a reason casuing the sync problem, and because the Windows client could not sync at the time, I didn't expect deletion would have any (irreversible) impact on the server side. For now, it would be really helpful if I can access history of the deleted notes or to roll back everything to 2 days ago. You know if there is a way to do that?

• Level 5*

Do you still have your backup of this notebook?  You should be prompted to restore it to an offline (local) notebook in the Windows client.  Do that,  then recreate the original notebook name as a new notebook and move the notes from the local notebook to the synced one.  Cross fingers...

It seems once a note is deleted, all the history associated with it is instantly deleted as well and data is deleted on all the devices without further notification. This is really unexpected. Any way I can get my data back?

Deleting a note on one device causing that note to be deleted from all the other devices absolutely is EXPECTED behaviour. That's one of the points of using Evernote.

As has been mentioned in the thread, if you delete notes, they go into the trash. If you delete notes, empty trash & sync, the only recovery options you have is either restoring from a backup or if you have the note(s) on a computer/device that has not synced these changes down from the EN servers. In that case, you would prevent that client from syncing, then you could email them to your EN account or copy the note or move the note to a local notebook, depending upon what client the good notes are residing on.

If you delete notes, empty trash & sync, the only recovery options you have is either restoring from a backup or if you have the note(s) on a computer/device that has not synced these changes down from the EN servers.

Actually, I was expecting notes history can aso be a source of backup even after the notes are deleted.

If you delete notes, empty trash & sync, the only recovery options you have is either restoring from a backup or if you have the note(s) on a computer/device that has not synced these changes down from the EN servers.

Actually, I was expecting notes history can aso be a source of backup even after the notes are deleted.

It would...if you hadn't emptied the trash.

Archived