Send E-Mail To Evernote® Account

• Level 5

Hm. Canot reproduce what you are saying. Emails are arriving perfectly well in my default notebook (using Win desktop)

Which OS are you using?

• Level 5

I use email forwarding every day. I've never seen a problem. All the emails to go to my default notebook.

Be sure your default notebook really is your default notebook.

In the Windows client,

* Right-click on the notebook name in the Left Panel.
* Click on Properties

The default box should be checked.
http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/7e8aff1b-f4ff-412f-af2e-fea2877424d6/8874e549aa6222d67f59cf3f8b041736

@jbenson2

Although I do not have an emailing issue, I have a question.

I have my Evernote email in my contacts twice.  One that has not Title to it (just the blahblahblah@evernote.com), the other entitled "Evernote Uploader".

Does the title of the email make a difference in how it arrives in EN?

• Level 5

The actual name / description of the email is not important.

The correct email address is important.

The email address you should use can be found on your Evernote web account.

Upper right corner, click on your name, then account settings
At the bottom of Account Summary is "email notes to"

Email your notes, snapshots, and audio clips directly into your account. Emailed notes will go directly into your default notebook.

This email address can be reset to another Evernote generated email address if desired.

Here is some more information on changing the subject line in the email to affect the destination.

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2010/03/16/emailing-into-evernote-just-got-better/

Could be an "issue" with auto-filing which is enabled by default. 

Log into www.evernote.com, go to your account settings>personal settings and uncheck "auto filing". 

This has a tendency to put messages in unexpected places, rather than your default notebook, if you don't specify a notebook.

Hm. Canot reproduce what you are saying. Emails are arriving perfectly well in my default notebook (using Win desktop)

Which OS are you using?

I'm using OS X (v10.9.2).

Which OS are you using?

Could be an "issue" with auto-filing which is enabled by default. 

Log into www.evernote.com, go to your account settings>personal settings and uncheck "auto filing". 

This has a tendency to put messages in unexpected places, rather than your default notebook, if you don't specify a notebook.

For an email that does NOT have "@whatevernotebook" in the subject line:

I just tested mine.  If I have the Auto-filing box CHECKED in my personal settings in the web client, then the email goes into a Notebook other than my Default Notebook.  If the Auto-filing box is UN-CHECKED, then the email goes into my Default Notebook.

Interesting!

Sounds about right. Evernote attempts to figure out where, based on your past behaviour, you sent notes with similar content, or which notebook has similar content to the note your sending in. It then puts it in that notebook rather than your default.

This is, quite literally,guess work, and so it is likely to make an error from time to time. More likely though, since it is on by default, it might be guessing accurately, but most users are not expecting it to deviate from the default folder since they aren't aware that this setting is even on and therefor get understandably confused.I've wondered why this setting is on by default, or why there isn't a prompt at setup to let the user turn it on or off.

• Level 5
A couple years ago, when the "Smart Filing" feature was released, it performed so poorly that many users immediately turned it off and forgot about it completely. There was no way the user could assist in teaching the robot (with filters, etc). It was not a lot of fun trying to locate notes the software misfiled in a seemingly random fashion. It was smart enough to recognize a recipe however. :)

Evernote saw the reaction from their users about how poorly it performed, so they renamed the feature in the Web Settings, but oddly kept it as the default.

So for emails, here is the setting:

"Auto-filing

And for web cliping, here is the setting

Evernote still uses the ill-chosen "Smart Filing" moniker in Clearly.

Archived