QUESTION: Ability to Use Multiple Alarms within a Single Note?

Howdy, EN Members:

I wonder if anyone has figured out:

HOW to set multiple ALARMS for text on separate lines within a single note?

WHY? What's the purpose or benefit?

• A multiple alarms feature would effectively create a PLANNER with separate, independent alarms for multiple tasks or to-does listed... all outlined on a single page

• VS. having to create a NEW NOTE for every task

Any possibilities?

Thanks much in advance for a prompt and brilliant response!   :)

Alan

• Level 5*

No way that I know of, unless there's a third-party solution (check the Market). I just use a separate note for each reminder, doesn't seem that onerous for my admittedly low-maintenance task management approach.

No way that I know of, unless there's a third-party solution (check the Market). I just use a separate note for each reminder, doesn't seem that onerous for my admittedly low-maintenance task management approach.

Howdy, Jeff.

Thanks for getting back.

It's not an issue of ONEROUS... but rather having an OUTLINE where ALL TASKS in are visible in an outline... is real valuable and practical in regards to keeping me organized.

Thx.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Evernote is a database of Notes.  The Note is the core record in the database.  The database is a list of Notes, which each note having attributes.  The Reminder is an attribute of the Note.  While I could see, technically, multiple alarms per note (just as you can have multiple checkboxes), I don't see Evernote ever allowing those alarms to be specific to text or paragraphs _within_ a Note.

What Evernote _should do_ — in this and other cases — is create a special container of Notes that shows them in a way that aids users.  You could have a container that showed all your To-Do Notes in one borderless pane.

Evernote seems so far behind in basic database functions, and commits (_just judging by how far behind it remains_) so few resources to development, that I don't see that ever happening.

having an OUTLINE where ALL TASKS in are visible in an outline... is real valuable and practical in regards to keeping me organized.

Of course — this is a widely held desire.  Despite what Evernote may claim, Evernote is radically unsuited to that task:  it does not outline in any but the most rudimentary pre-computer sense, either by text within a Note, or by the structures containing Notes, and its task-management functions are pretty much limited to checkboxes in-line with text within a Note, and to the Reminder attribute of Notes.

There are scores of task-managers on the market; many of them are excellent.  None of them are named "Evernote".  I have used, and recommend (with no slight to a program not on this little personal list) Things, The Hit List, TaskPaper, Workflowy, and OmniFocus.  Each of them is at least 10x better at task management than Evernote.

Here's Phil Libin, CEO of Evernote, talking a little over a year ago:

What's your favorite to-do list manager?

You know, I don't actually have one. I use Evernote, which isn't particularly great for to-dos yet. Yet.

Imho, he is still correct.

HTH,

—Kirby.

Howdy, Kirby

Thank you for such a detailed and thoughtful response.

I completely understand and would like to pursue this issue further.

I will take a look at the applications you have mentioned. Please feel free to message me if you have any other thoughts.

Thank you again!

Alan

Archived