Upload my evernote database online

Hi,

I have an evernote database saved on my local PC. I would like to have IT online so it could be synced between my devices.

What I did :

- I did a backup of this database on a USB key

- on evernote I deleted all my notes and notebooks (please don't ask why, it would be long and complicated to explain you, just trust me on this one)

- i deleted all the content of the evernote trash

=> At this point my evernote account is absolutely empty

- I copied back my evernote database so it could be properly synced online

=> Problem is : it's working, evernote recognize them, BUT it also recognize that I deleted all these notes so during the sync process it just deleted almost every notes

Whereas I would like to evernote to take this local database and upload it.

What i tried so far :

- when i copy back the database i added  a new fake tag on every single note so evernote would recognize them as newly modified notes (and not deleted one) and taking them to the upload process => not working, evernote is deleting everything during the sync

- I generate an enex file => working BUT I can absolutely not rearrange and sort them back on notebook, it would take to much time !

Is there a another solution for me ? Thank you in advance

By default your database is stored on Evernote's servers and synced to any device that you log into Evernote with. You can verify that your database has been uploaded by logging into www.evernote.com. What you see here is stored on Evernote's servers and reflects what will be pulled down to any other device.

An overly simplistic explanation from evernote:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/11/01/whats-sync-anyway/

In short, if you want to sync your database across devices, you simply need to install evernote on each device and log in. Then your content will sync automatically and without any intervention from you.

Hi,

I have an evernote database saved on my local PC. I would like to have IT online so it could be synced between my devices.

What I did :

- on evernote I deleted all my notes and notebooks (please don't ask why, it would be long and complicated to explain you, just trust me on this one)

=> Problem is : it's working, evernote recognize them, BUT it also recognize that I deleted all these notes so during the sync process it just deleted almost every notes

What i tried so far :

- when i copy back the database i added  a new fake tag on every single note so evernote would recognize them as newly modified notes (and not deleted one) and taking them to the upload process => not working, evernote is deleting everything during the sync

- I generate an enex file => working BUT I can absolutely not rearrange and sort them back on notebook, it would take to much time !

Evernote keeps deleting the notes because it knows you deleted those notes.  This is no different from if you had the EN desktop running on two computers, then you deleted all the notes from one desktop & sync'd.  Now, you'd want the second computer to also have all the notes deleted, so when it's sync'd it deletes the notes too.  Same situation as any change made on one computer - it gets sync'd to all the other computers.

Since you deleted all the notes & sync'd, what you will need to do is generate new globally unique IDs for all of the notes you want "restored".  To do this, disconnect your internet connection from your desktop so it will not sync.  Restore the desktop database from your backup/USB key.  Move all the notes to a local/non-sync'd notebook. .  Sync.  (The sync should not change anything...just do it so your desktop is in sync with the EN servers.)  Now, all your notes on the desktop are in local/non-sync'd notebooks.  Now, move all the notes back to sync'd notebooks & sync.  This generates new GUIDs for all the notes.  Be aware that this will go against your upload limit, since these are seen as new notes.  Depending upon the size & quantity of notes you have, you may either need to upgrade to premium and/or add more premium upload gigs and/or do this over several months. 

By default your database is stored on Evernote's servers and synced to any device that you log into Evernote with. You can verify that your database has been uploaded by logging into www.evernote.com. What you see here is stored on Evernote's servers and reflects what will be pulled down to any other device.

An overly simplistic explanation from evernote:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/11/01/whats-sync-anyway/

In short, if you want to sync your database across devices, you simply need to install evernote on each device and log in. Then your content will sync automatically and without any intervention from you.

I don't think this is what OP is looking for...  If I understand correctly, he deleted all notes from the EN servers & wants to restore them from a backup he has.  But since he deleted the notes, EN servers keep deleting them after he restores because Evernote is doing what it's supposed to be doing.  I think he needs to generate new GUIDs for all the notes.

Another option is to export all your notes to enex & the import them.  This also generates new GUIDs (I think).  But in either scenario, since you need to generate new GUIDs for the notes you deleted, they will go against your monthly upload quota because they are considered new notes. 

Hi,

What I did :

What i tried so far :

Evernote keeps deleting the notes because it knows you deleted those notes.  This is no different from if you had the EN desktop running on two computers, then you deleted all the notes from one desktop & sync'd.  Now, you'd want the second computer to also have all the notes deleted, so when it's sync'd it deletes the notes too.  Same situation as any change made on one computer - it gets sync'd to all the other computers.

Since you deleted all the notes & sync'd, what you will need to do is generate new globally unique IDs for all of the notes you want "restored".  To do this, disconnect your internet connection from your desktop so it will not sync.  Restore the desktop database from your backup/USB key.  Move all the notes to a local/non-sync'd notebook. .  Sync.  (The sync should not change anything...just do it so your desktop is in sync with the EN servers.)  Now, all your notes on the desktop are in local/non-sync'd notebooks.  Now, move all the notes back to sync'd notebooks & sync.  This generates new GUIDs for all the notes.  Be aware that this will go against your upload limit, since these are seen as new notes.  Depending upon the size & quantity of notes you have, you may either need to upgrade to premium and/or add more premium upload gigs and/or do this over several months. 

You understood perfectly my problem !

I tried yoru solution but there is something really annoying : when I move all the notes in a local notebook I will have to move them back individually to their right notebooks which will take forever !

That's why like I said before I hadded a new tag "NEW" on each note by batch to try to change the note's GUID

So to be this : is there a way to change the GUID of the notes but without moving them in another notebook ?

PS : I don't care about the quota, i'm premium, i just want my note back :)

I tried yoru solution but there is something really annoying : when I move all the notes in a local notebook I will have to move them back individually to their right notebooks which will take forever !

That's why like I said before I hadded a new tag "NEW" on each note by batch to try to change the note's GUID

So to be this : is there a way to change the GUID of the notes but without moving them in another notebook ?

Adding a tag does not change the GUID of the note.  Depending upon how many notebooks you have, you can either tag the notes with the notebook name or make a local notebook for each sync'd notebook.  This may take some time, but since you deleted all your notes & sync'd, AFAIK, these are the only two ways (move to local/sync/move to sync'd or export/import enex) to generate new GUIDs & get the notes back into Evernote.  Evernote is doing exactly what you told it to do & what it's supposed to do - deleting all the notes.  The up side is that you at least have a backup.  ;)

Adding a tag does not change the GUID of the note.  Depending upon how many notebooks you have, you can either tag the notes with the notebook name or make a local notebook for each sync'd notebook.  This may take some time, but since you deleted all your notes & sync'd, AFAIK, these are the only two ways (move to local/sync/move to sync'd or export/import enex) to generate new GUIDs & get the notes back into Evernote.  Evernote is doing exactly what you told it to do & what it's supposed to do - deleting all the notes.  The up side is that you at least have a backup.  ;)

You are absolutely right, i'll do it this way.

Btw I have a last question : I have to do that because on my company computer i cannot access the evernote servers. So the sync is not working.

I told myself that it's ok and i will just use evernote offline BUT after sometimes I realised that I couln't search on my new notes anymore.

=> So i guess we have to upload our notes so the evernote server construct the database and there you can research in the notes

Is it working this way or did i miss something ?

PS : I know that for the images you HAVE to upload them with a premium account if I recall to be able to search on the text on these images. But i didn't know that we must do that also for the regular "text based" notes...

Archived