Web clipper - when done clipping I want it to go away

The evernote web clipper is nifty.  But when it's done clipping it gives me this silly dialog that tells me "Clipped such-and-such page", with options to "Open in Evernote", "Related Notes", and various sundry.

I don't want to see any of that.  When I press the Save button, I want it to do its work and GO AWAY.  Simple, like google.  Can I please get a config option so that I don't have to see this annoying dialog _every time_?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the feedback - I wouldn't use that myself;  the pop-up is a handy confirmation that the clip has been made successfully and a reminder not to browse away from the page too quickly in case the clip gets aborted. I just use another tab in my browser to go elsewhere.  Don't see any harm in having an choice in the clipper options though,  whether or not to show any dialogue.  Sometimes it would be handy to add a comment or an annotation to the clip and Chrome,  currently, doesn't allow that - you have to clip,  save,  sync and open the note to add more.  +1 for more clipper options (if that's possible) please..

@purplejacket

We plan something along those lines for the near future.

@Gaz

You can add plain text comments before you save the clip if you open the 'filing dialog' and look at the bottom for 'Add comment'. Or did you mean something else?

• Level 5*

@jbignert - don't think I have a 'filing dialogue' in Chrome.  If I clip your comment forinstance

The clipper comes back with -

post-63053-0-92838200-1398954485_thumb.p

And if I ask it to open in Evernote I get

post-63053-0-53694200-1398954514_thumb.p

(I don't know what happens if I go for the Evernote desktop option in that second pic - another app took the focus for a second and I lost the option!)

Edit:  I'm guessing if I chose the Evernote for Windows option it would sync the note and open it for me...

Sorry Gaz, I should've been more clear... here's a Skitch of what I was referring to:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/0d866cab-aab9-471d-86f9-edea360e9052/90515d5baea37e2f42be4437f1521f57

Your second screenshot is asking you where you want to open notes from the Clipper

a) In your desktop client

B) ON the webclient

I sets a preference after your first choice and you won't see that dialog again. (unless you delete the cookie...)

• Level 5*

Sorry Gaz, I should've been more clear... here's a Skitch of what I was referring to:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/0d866cab-aab9-471d-86f9-edea360e9052/90515d5baea37e2f42be4437f1521f57

Your second screenshot is asking you where you want to open notes from the Clipper

a) In your desktop client

B) ON the webclient

I sets a preference after your first choice and you won't see that dialog again. (unless you delete the cookie...)

Well gosh,  golly and gesundheit! I didn't realise that hovering over / clicking the notebook name gave me those extra options!  

That's even better but maybe a tad obscure for those of us of the s-l-o-w persuasion.. - maybe a little item under the notebook area in the menu at some point to say "click a notebook for more options" ? 

Thanks for the additional explanation - now all I have to do is find that cookie and remove with extreme prejudice...

:D

The newer versions of the clipper are completely obnoxious with their insistence on showing you tips or related notes before going away. There needs to be an option to STOP this post haste, as it's super annoying. Earlier versions of the clipper didn't do this. The DevonThink clipper doesn't do this. Why EN thinks it's a good idea as immutable behavior is beyond me.

I see this thread, and I just had a dialog with a chat CSR about this issue, and reading between the lines this is what I see:

It's working as intended; some marketing doofus thinks this is a good idea, and so it won't be changing.

I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but the proof is in the pudding, not "we're thinking about it" or "maybe we'll do that". I've had that kind of fluff shoveled my way by no end of services in the past, and in virtually no examples has anything positive happened. 

If someone has a suggestion for how i can keep the EN clipper from annoying me every time I use it, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I guess I'm looking for a service to migrate to.

The newer versions of the clipper are completely obnoxious with their insistence on showing you tips or related notes before going away. There needs to be an option to STOP this post haste, as it's super annoying. Earlier versions of the clipper didn't do this. The DevonThink clipper doesn't do this. Why EN thinks it's a good idea as immutable behavior is beyond me.

I see this thread, and I just had a dialog with a chat CSR about this issue, and reading between the lines this is what I see:

It's working as intended; some marketing doofus thinks this is a good idea, and so it won't be changing.

I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but the proof is in the pudding, not "we're thinking about it" or "maybe we'll do that". I've had that kind of fluff shoveled my way by no end of services in the past, and in virtually no examples has anything positive happened. 

If someone has a suggestion for how i can keep the EN clipper from annoying me every time I use it, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I guess I'm looking for a service to migrate to.

For every advantage, there is a disadvantage.  You have to decide which weighs more for you.  If the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, then don't take the step, (i.e., don't use the web clipper).

However, for me, the changes in the web clipper are improvements (advantages outweigh the disadvantages of it's behavior).  Quite frankly, what you are referring to as being obnoxious, is the advantage for me.  When looking at the big picture, the web clipper is only one Feature of EN.  Don't be too hasty to change services over just one feature, if that is what you mean.

"For every advantage, there is a disadvantage."

No, not really. That's fuzzy thinking at best.

I care about a streamlined workflow. I care about not getting ***** features that futz up that workflow. If you love the obnoxious post-clip dialog box, that's great, but it's completely bananas to make a tool LESS sleek with such behavior that cannot be disabled.

Maybe I just don't understand the issue. The post-clip dialogue disappears when you click on the web page or press esc. That doesn't seem terribly intrusive to me. In fact, quite likely after clipping, I'll be click somewhere on the page or browser window anyway as a natural part of my workflow, which would then dismiss the post-clip dialogue. That is, the post-clip dialogue sticks around as a way of confirming to me that the clip occurred, and is dismissed as soon as I do what naturally comes next in my workflow: navigating away from the page I just clipped. As such, I'm not clear how this can significantly impact workflow. 

There are also a two issues that are being conflated here.

1) Related notes/"other clips from this website" are not a marketing things, they are a feature that permeates many parts of Evernote. They can also be disabled, yes, in the clipper too. I personally like these because it helps me see that I've clipped something similar, or in some cases, the exact same thing, so I can go clean up immediately. 

2) Tips is perhaps much more accurately described as marketing. I am a premium subscriber and I have only ever seen that segment of the clipper pop up once in a couple of years. Seeing that dialogue once was really nothing that made me lose my cool, however I'd rather not be nagged to invite friends at all as a premium subscriber. While, as far as I can tell, this cannot be disabled, it seems like after one prompt, you get left alone. This isn't the greatest of crimes.

The issue of related notes cannot lumped in with the issue of "tips" not the least because related notes can be disabled and is not marketing, while "tips" cannot be disabled (though they only appear once in my experience), and essentially could be understood as marketing. These are two separate issues/features/annoyances/whatevers. 

That I HAVE to press a button to dismiss it is the problem. I shouldn't have to. I said save the page. Do what I told you to do and go away; that's how other web clippers I've used have worked, and unless I'm terribly wrong that's how EN used to work. 

I'm sure the behavior -- user must dismiss dialog -- was changed to allow EN to shove messages at us, even paying customers (and I am one, fwiw). There appears to be no way to disable the related notes list that pops up. There IS a "related items" option in the configuration dialog, but it refers to search behavior, not clipping behavior. And, in any case, it's disabled for me.

When I don't see a useless list of related notes, I get tips I don't want to see either. It's obtrusive and obnoxious in either case, and so I see it as the same issue.

Save the information and go away. Don't get in my way. I don't need to be shown other data, or tips, or marketed to. 

Thanks for the correction re: related notes being for search. 

That being said, it is not necessary to push any button to dismiss the dialogue box, simply clicking anywhere will dismiss it. I am hard pressed to imagine a workflow that doesn't involve clicking at least somewhere in a browser window! 

I personally appreciate the persistence of the post-clip window. When I initiate a clip and move to a different tab before the clip is complete, I like that the post-clip window is there to confirm that the clip was successful when I come back around to that original tab. Sometimes clips fail and I have appreciated that the post-clip window was there to tell me that it failed. EDIT: Also, the post-clip window offers the opportunity to attach a reminder to a clipping, which is handy and has been requested by users on this forum. I have also used it from time to time for when I clip things that have a due date or an ETA. 

It's been a long time since I've seen the "tips" section of the post-clip window, but I remember that there was a way to dismiss them.... either by proceeding through them but not completing them, or by selecting something like "not right now". Once I did that (whatever it was), I never saw them again. It took a few seconds of time, and it will save you the frustration of seeing them every time you clip. I'm not justifying Evernote's decision to present these "tips" to premium users (I'd rather not see them either, not even once), just passing along my own "tip" to you that might save you this ongoing grief. 

You are welcome to read the persistence as a push for marketing, and I am sure that is a portion of the justification for it. Whether or not it is as you suggest, I find that it serves a useful purpose for my workflow (which is just as important as yours ;)).

Sure. So give me an option that makes the damn thing go away without braying additional pointless information at me.

Evernote staff read all the posts so consider your suggestion made. If you wish to make a more formal suggestion, you can submit a support request. The link is in my signature. 

Best of luck. 

Eek, Meg, I think chetman's "braying additional pointless information" comment was directed at the clipper, not at me... Or at least I hope so! 

Edited to assume the best intentions. 

Yes, it's Evernote's Clipper that I describe as braying, not Scott. I apologize for any bray-related confusion.

Regarding the suggestion: I find that when companies make choices like this, it's deliberate. Perhaps I'll hear later that the option has been added, and I'll consider using it again.

Generally I am in favour of giving users options too! indeed I think a "quick clip" option would be nice to address your concerns. Could be turned into a premium feature too to encourage subscription. 

No worries re: bray-ing confusion. 

I travel a lot. When in cities with good broadband, all is well on my lean and clean MacBook Pro Retina.

Out in country areas in USA, Australia, New Zealand, or when visiting Pacific islands, Evernote Web Clipper often fails. It can fail at any stage of the process:

1. fails to start to clip the page

2. fails to complete the clip

3. fails to deliver the dialog box with Related notes

My guess is the big chunks of Safari Web Content memory being used by Evernote Web Clipper are the cause of the problem for the clipping to fail. Speeds around 1Mbps download and 0.3Mbps upload are not unusual in smaller towns, outer suburbs of cities and country/island areas.

Many web pages are nothing like the 137.4MB chunks of memory being required by Evernote Web Clipper.

How much of the 'under the bonnet' 137.4MB is required for Related notes and the entire post-clip dialog?

Will Evernote Web Clipper be made available with a 'lean' mode for travelling, and a 'full' mode for cities/high-speed-broadband?

Sidebar: I'm a longtime Premium Evernote user, and use Evernote extensively, especially alongside other services like Zite.

But as I travel a lot, and rely on MacBook Pro and iPad for all the research and journal heavy lifting, creeping bloat (a la Windows) is really not what I need in apps like Evernote.

Hope you can allay my fears :)

• Level 5*

Hi - I think Evernote would be interested in your experiences,  so I'd suggest you raise a support ticket to pass the information on - we're only a user forum here so don't have the technical information (or the crystal ball) to comment much further..  though working "in country" in the UK with a not very impressive internet connection and Windows laptops I'd be interested to know what streamlining might be possible...

• 3 weeks later...

Been trying to disable the post-clip dialogue for days.  I just thought I was missing something, never occurred to me it was an unmanageable feature.  I'm all in for the Quick Clip Option.  The sooner the better.

• 1 year later...

Was anything done with this suggestion? I've been trying to figure out how to disable the post-clip dialogue box too. I'm on Mac Firefox and clicking anywhere or clicking escape doesn't work to get rid of the box—I have to hit the close "x" on the dialogue box and I'm finding it very annoying.

Archived