Exporting confusion

Wordsgood

Hi folks.

I know my, er, dimness, is showing again, but please help the village idiot anyway... ;)

I have been fishing around for hours here in the forums, in the knowledge base and googling the WWW, but I'm still confused.

I'm not leaving Evernote, but I do want the ability to Export select Notes into an editable Word document. But before we go there, I'll explain what I *do* (I hope) understand, versus where I'm chasing my own tail.

● I know there is an option to export using either ENEX or HTML Formats.

● I understand (finally!) that HTML is coding/formatting text for the web.

And now we're at the point where I'm lost...

● I know I can do simple Copy & Pasting of an EN Note's text over to Word. (Like the PDFs...sigh.) But once again...

I keep running into conflicting, or at least confusing (to me) information everywhere I look, trying to figure out how to convert HTML into Word or a file type Word can read AND edit, like an RTF file. So...

1) Is this yet anothet case of I must purchase software to achieve my goal for exporting EN Notes into Word - without messing up the orginal - and in such a way that I can edit them one in Word?

2) Is the Export option even available to free users?

Oh, and on a completely unrelated and totally irrelevent topic... For anyone who recalls my recent whine about two of our three senior furballs campaigning to fund the our vet's entire practice all by themselves...

Well, the 3rd senior - thought not ancient - cat, was feeling left out, or jealous, or somethin' the other day, necessitating yet another emergency trip to the vet... ( That makes, sob, trip 5 in one month.) I swear, he somehow will himself into a sickie.

It's okay kitty, Mom and Dad thrive on poverty. So long as you three get the very best in food, toys and better medical care than we get (despite the fact that *we are* insured!), we'll manage just fine on our rations of stale bread and fetid tap water. (Sigh. I love them all, but at least our two-legged kids had the decency to grow up, get jobs and move out!)

Okay, I'll shut up now. And try very hard not moan about my furry kids anymore... *halo floats lightly over her head* :)

• Level 5*

Wordsgood, you SHOULD be able to do this:

1. Export one or more Notes from Evernote as HTML files
  2. Import these HTML files into Word (File > Open > All Files, select the HTML file)

However, I have found a BUG doing this on the Mac -- not sure if it applies to EN Windows or not.

See:  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/57890-bug-export-note-to-html-import-into-ms-word-mac/

You might try this process in Windows to see if it works for you.

• Level 5*

Sure is.

And it's a pretty commonly accepted format.

● I know I can do simple Copy & Pasting of an EN Note's text over to Word. (Like the PDFs...sigh.) But once again...

I keep running into conflicting, or at least confusing (to me) information everywhere I look, trying to figure out how to convert HTML into Word or a file type Word can read AND edit, like an RTF file. So...

MS Word can directly load HTML. Works fine on Windows (which is the tag of this post).

1) Is this yet anothet case of I must purchase software to achieve my goal for exporting EN Notes into Word - without messing up the orginal - and in such a way that I can edit them one in Word?

You can edit an exported note in MS Word. You should note that metadata like notebook and tags don't go along with the exported HTML, however. On the other hand, exporting doesn't harm the original; it's still in your notes database.

Sure is.

• Level 5*

Interesting, I found that EN Mac DOES include the Note Tags in the HTML export as metadata in the HTML <head> block.

However, it labels the Tags as "keywords".

For example:

<meta name="keywords" content="EN.Export, Issue, testTag"/>

This means that you could write a simple script (Word VBA for example) to import the HTML files into Word (or anything else) and get the Tags from the "keywords" meta.

The EN exported HTML also includes:

• Evernote version
  • Evernote user name
  • Created Date
  • Updated Date
  • Latitude/Longitude
  • Note Title

I'm glad to hear that the import to Word works for Windows.  Should make it easy for Evernote to fix the Mac export.

Thanks JMichael! That nicely clarified things for me. :)

Sure is.

MS Word can directly load HTML. Works fine on Windows (which is the tag of this post).

You can edit an exported note in MS Word. You should note that metadata like notebook and tags don't go along with the exported HTML, however. On the other hand, exporting doesn't harm the original; it's still in your notes database.

Sure is.

Thanks JMichael! That nicely clarified things for me. :)

Sure is.

Sure is.

Jmichael??? Jefito???

BurgerNFries, thank you for catching this! *blush*

JEFITO: Please accept my humble apologies for mixing up the names... Let the records show that I am *very* GRATEFUL to JEFITO, for his detailed, informative reply that cleared up all my confusion, and provided the answers I needed! :)

And, to be clear, I also still most grateful to JMichael for his assistance, as well! :)

Again, great catch there, BNF! I'm very glad you pointed it out. Credit should always given where due! :)

Archived