Evernote for Windows 5.4.0 Beta 2

dlu

Hey Folks,

We have a new beta! Now if you are in a shard notebook and one person makes changes to the note title and another made a change to the URL, these two changes can be merged appropriately without creating a conflicting note. We've improved this behavior for meta data (excluding tags). We also have bugfixes to Presentation Mode. If you haven't yet, go check it out!

You can opt into beta's by going to Tools >> Options and checking [ ] Update to pre-release version when available

You can also download directly here: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.4.0.3446.exe

thanks!

• Evernote Expert

Hi Dlu, Just downloaded the latest beta, and i am working on it. Here are my immediate observations -

1. Presentation Mode seems to be really smooth in this release. Like the little Animation for First Time Presentation Mode users as well. The laser pointers are working smoothly, and there is easy transition to forward-back slides as well. Don't see any complaints in the Presentation Mode, so far in this release. 

2. However, Search experience still continues to frustrate. I particularly mention this, since you have said that bugs related to Search have been fixed. However, I fail to understand is that, it has been several releases since we have launched version 5 now, Why does the client freeze for a few seconds, when a word is begun to be typed in the search bar? It is so frustrating to wait for the client to respond, before you continue the search key word. The bug continues to remain in this beta release as well. 

• Level 5*

1. Presentation Mode seems to be really smooth in this release. Like the little Animation for First Time Presentation Mode users as well. The laser pointers are working smoothly, and there is easy transition to forward-back slides as well. Don't see any complaints in the Presentation Mode, so far in this release.

Have you tried editing while presenting (dual screen)?  I'm just wondering if anyone else gets live editing to show up on the presentation screen?  Also, have you tried this on a dual display?  Also wondering if you can get this to launch on the desired display consistently without using the method I mention in the pinned Presentation Mode on Windows thread.

Why does the client freeze for a few seconds, when a word is begun to be typed in the search bar? It is so frustrating to wait for the client to respond, before you continue the search key word. The bug continues to remain in this beta release as well. 

This behavior can be disabled in the registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE -> EVERNOTE -> EVERNOTE -> SearchAsYouTypeDelay

Set this equal to 0 and it will not search until you have typed in the entire entry and pressed enter.

• Evernote Expert

Bug Report - Latest Windows Client Beta - 

It is really refreshing to see the ability to pick a Notebook which has come in the recent versions of Windows. However, when i want to move or copy a Note to another Notebook, The Note book does not work when the mouse button is clicked. The type ahead is working, but when i click on one of the destination Notebooks using a mouse, there is no response from the GUI. 

Inevitably, I have to type the whole Notebook using the Keyboard, and only then it will work. 

This issue needs to be fixed. 

• Level 5*

Did the "Copy Note Link" functionality change?

I just moved a note from personal to business, then selected "Note: Copy Note LInk" - I was expecting a note link that looks like: evernote://view/58824/s1/....

Instead, I got a note link that looks like https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/.....

I did NOT share the note, and it is not showing as shared. I cannot for the life of me get it to generate an evernote:// link, and I don't want a publicly accessible link.

This is on 5.4.0.3446

I just moved a note from personal to business, then selected "Note: Copy Note LInk" - I was expecting a note link that looks like: evernote://view/58824/s1/....

Instead, I got a note link that looks like https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/.....

I did NOT share the note, and it is not showing as shared. I cannot for the life of me get it to generate an evernote:// link, and I don't want a publicly accessible link.

This is on 5.4.0.3446

Yes, it changed a few releases ago. You can hold down Ctrl and go the Note menu up top and you'll get the old link. The old format automatically occurs if you paste inside of Evernote. If you paste outside of Evernote you'll get the https:// version since that is much more recognized across apps and OS's

• Level 5*

This is on 5.4.0.3446

Yes, it changed a few releases ago. You can hold down Ctrl and go the Note menu up top and you'll get the old link. The old format automatically occurs if you paste inside of Evernote. If you paste outside of Evernote you'll get the https:// version since that is much more recognized across apps and OS's

But that also requires internet access to work doesn't it? I cannot be on a plane or anywhere where there is not wifi and be able to use the new linking scheme.

I get the reason for the change, but hiding it behind the CTRL button is confusing. I'd rather there be a "Create Evernote Link" menu item and a "Create Link For Other Apps" button, or something where you don't have to find the hidden menu item.

• Evernote Expert

I think it will be more simpler for users to understand if Evernote provides two options like - Copy Internal Link (or) Copy External Link. 

By making External Link the default copy, the offline Mobile WorkFlow for many users is badly broken now. Please consider something like this. 

• Level 5*

I think it will be more simpler for users to understand if Evernote provides two options like - Copy Internal Link (or) Copy External Link. 

By making External Link the default copy, the offline Mobile WorkFlow for many users is badly broken now. Please consider something like this. 

Agreed, and I like your terminology.

I just hate secret menus. It is like the "Paste Picture Link" in Excel. Very useful, but hidden behind the need to use the CTRL key before selecting the Paste icon.

I found a bug. When I try to search using ReminderTime. ReminderTime:Day works as expected as does ReminderTime:Day-7 will use 7 days ago, but if I use ReminderTime:Day+1 it will search today with notes having "1" in them. It does not search for ReminderTime set to tomorrow. This only is an issue on Windows. 

• Level 5*

I found a bug. When I try to search using ReminderTime. ReminderTime:Day works as expected as does ReminderTime:Day-7 will use 7 days ago, but if I use ReminderTime:Day+1 it will search today with notes having "1" in them. It does not search for ReminderTime set to tomorrow. This only is an issue on Windows. 

Yep. Longstanding, and previously reported.

Archived