Too many version updates!

I LOVE the product but holy cow, every 3rd time I open it on one of my many devices there is a new update that requires closing everything out.  I'm good with the latest and greatest, but seriously can't you reduce the update frequency to monthly or something less than 3 per week!

I LOVE the product but holy cow, every 3rd time I open it on one of my many devices there is a new update that requires closing everything out.  I'm good with the latest and greatest, but seriously can't you reduce the update frequency to monthly or something less than 3 per week!

First, the more devices you use it on, the more updates you're going to have since it would be foolish for Android or iOS to hold off on an update until all the other clients are ready for an update.

Second...

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28057-way-too-many-updates-released/

I use the beta version on my Mac, and the release version on my iPhone, iPad and work phone (right now a Windows phone). Oh, and there's a Kindle Fire around somewhere. The only thing I ever have to close out of is the Mac version when it updates. Even with the beta version, I don't think I get updates more than a couple of times a week most of the time. What is the "everything" you have to close out?

• 1 month later...

Hey moderators, 

Just saying it is easy and not a problem isn't really helping here. There are lots of people annoyed at this behavior. Evernote is for taking quick notes, but when i have to close outlook, word etc to get an update its annoying.

The most annoying thing is the popup. I want to jot a quick note, I as a user don't care about whatever you are updating because I have a million things to do. So not not reading the relase notes. 

As a software developer I'm all for scrum and fast iterations, but we the users don't really care that much, we just want to use the product.

Please update on a less frequent schedule or make it silently update. 

This is a very poor user experience.

Evernote is for taking quick notes, 

If you just want a program for taking quick notes, Evernote is probably overkill. Taking "quick notes" is a fairly minor feature of the program/service. You are also not required to update unless you want to. On the Mac version (and I'd bet the Windows version) you can turn off the "Automatically check for updates" and you won't see that pop up. 

If you just want a program for taking quick notes, Evernote is probably overkill. Taking "quick notes" is a fairly minor feature of the program/service. You are also not required to update unless you want to. On the Mac version (and I'd bet the Windows version) you can turn off the "Automatically check for updates" and you won't see that pop up.

Yup. Exists on the Windows client.

Hey moderators, 

Just saying it is easy and not a problem isn't really helping here. There are lots of people annoyed at this behavior. Evernote is for taking quick notes, but when i have to close outlook, word etc to get an update its annoying.

The most annoying thing is the popup. I want to jot a quick note, I as a user don't care about whatever you are updating because I have a million things to do. So not not reading the relase notes. 

As a software developer I'm all for scrum and fast iterations, but we the users don't really care that much, we just want to use the product.

Please update on a less frequent schedule or make it silently update. 

This is a very poor user experience.

I would not want a silent update. I want to know when something updates, not just Evernote.

Sorry you think "Just saying it is easy and not a problem isn't really helping here. There are lots of people annoyed at this behavior."  But as they say, you can't please all the people, all the time.  That's life.

I guess I'm more frustrated with the lack of understanding.

This IS an annoyance to you users.

There exists proven methods of making this not an annoyance.

Chrome updates constantly, but I neither know nor care.  I could understand major releases triggering a popup, but we as users don't need to know about your development process and how fast you fix/change things.

I TRUST the devs to give me updates that won't break anything. 

Is there any good reason to notify the every user that a bug was fixed if it affects only 2% of your userbase?

I am only trying to be helpful. 

Thanks.

If the notices to upgrade are a problem for you turn them off. Most people either don't care or like them but, for people like you, Evernote kindly includes a toggle to turn off automatic checking for updates. 

Chrome updates constantly, but I neither know nor care.  I could understand major releases triggering a popup, but we as users don't need to know about your development process and how fast you fix/change things.

FYI, no one who has posted in this thread so far is an Evernote employee.

Is there any good reason to notify the every user that a bug was fixed if it affects only 2% of your userbase?

Thanks.

This is a user's board.  Evangelists do not work for Evernote.  Honestly, I don't give a rat's behind if they update weekly, twice weekly or once a month.  I control when I update.  If I don't feel like it (for whatever reason) and don't need anything that was fixed/added in the update, I skip it & go on my merry way.  NBD.  If this is so irritating to anyone, I dread to think how they'd react when something truly crucial happens.

Another POV is when other users want a fix or feature they've been asking for ASAP.  Who's to say they should wait for a couple/several months because someone else doesn't want to be bothered by update notifications...???  The takeway here is that you can't please everyone all the time.  Someone is always going to be annoyed.  And when you're the one who's annoyed, you should prioritize annoyances so you don't get up in arms over small things.  Life is too short.

• Level 5

Thanks.

I understand your concern. 

Yes, it would be nice if Evernote could perform an automatic update the same as Chrome updates. I think Firefox also upgrades behind the scenes as well.

But there are some benefits to the notification. You will see quite a few constructive suggestions , comments, and complaints from other users after each release. From my past experience, I have found it helpful to hold off on accepting a new release or update for at least a couple months. This gives the developers time to make corrections.

Personally, I would like to see more information about the improvements and bug fixes for each release. The very short bullet points are too vague. So I sit on the sidelines and let other users find the problems with the new release. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived