I need a way to separate business and life

KingOfPop

I like evernote so much, I can't leave it with everyday's life...I have bring all my data, photos, cards, games in it, and also PPT, PDF file used in business.

the problem is in the work, when I do the string search, the result will return all relative things include my personal docs, such as family photos, my pets, my hobby,    all my colleague can see it, and my client laugh about it...that's really I don't want.....and now when I want search something, I have to do it when nobody around! I have no plan to use two account, because that will lost efficiency.

I do have a suggestion below, just a idea, not sure whether it can be realized.

Add a concept called "workspace" or "repository",  so I would create "work" "life" "game"... and I would close any one of these workspace, so all documents in this workspace will act as disappear before next time I reopen it.

Thanks for bring me such good App, wish evernote empire will be strong than ever :D

Have you looked at one of the "virtual workspace" apps like Zendone? It sounds like that might be a good fit for you. I actually tried that last year and liked it, but it was actually quite a bit more than I needed. I think - don't quote me on this - it's still free for single person + a few invitees (if you want). It's in the App store if you want to take boo at it.

Good luck. :)

Hi Kingofpop,

I'd also like to separate things.

Wordsgood, it's not a matter of switching to another software, Evernote is very nice and usefull.

But when you are in front of colleagues, clients, or pupills (I'm a teacher), it's annoying to display your private stuff in the search function, or, worse, in the continiously displayed "notes connexes" (excuse me I don't know the english word for the suggested notes that are displayed below the notes.

• Level 5*

Hi - Given the complication of setting up a protected area within notebooks I'd doubt Evernote is planning to add this feature anytime soon,  if at all.  

But if you're a premium user you can share notebooks with others and allow them to edit notes.  With free accounts you're allowed one share with edit permissions.  

Why not have two accounts,  set up on different email addresses and use your work account for work only (you'll be able to move notes between accounts too) but share one notebook from your work account with your personal account so you can work on both from that account if you need to.

When you need both accounts open,  just use one on the web and the other in a desktop client.  If you're a premium user,  it's very easy to switch between the two.

Mmh , it sounds frustrating not to be able tu use the desktop version for all my stuff, and paying two premium accounts is not possible for everyone.

I think that allowing to set the limit range of the global search and the "related notes" (is it the word?) would be good enough and not that complicated.

There is already a "limit search to present context" (translation?) that could be a enhanced to fit the need.

• Level 5*

Sorry - I should have stressed;  you only need one premium account to be able to switch between a premium and a free account easily.  (Look in File > Add another user" for the link).

The developers read these posts,  so you have suggested the need to them - there's not usually much feedback,  but you may see something in a future version...

Hi. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I'm not suggesting a software switch. Apps like Zendone work *with* Evernote (and a lot of other programs as well, such as Word and Excel).

They allows you to set up a virtual (online) work station where organize your files into whatever set up works best for you. *Without* affecting your actual Evernote database at all, you can bring in copies of whichever files you choose. You could have separate sections, such as Work, Family, Pets, etc. AND set viewing permissions so your private life ones would *not* spill over to your work ones (or vise versa). Once you've set things up the way you want, you could click on files in specific sections of your "work station" to show - and physically share if you want - any file or set of files & folders you want.

You can also edit these *copies* and if you "Invite" someone - say a colleague - to view it on their system as well. *NO download is needed for anyone,* as it is strictly a Web app and just requires a sign-in to bring it up.

Basically, Zendone and similar apps, are intended as collaboration tools using their own Cloud storage servers (and like Evernote, you can also use other Cloud services, like Dropbox), allowing you to bring COPIES of files from a variety of programs, including Evernote.

*However,* if you don't wish to use it for that, I think you could still use it for the sole purpose of organizing any Evernote files you want to make copies of - by opening in the App (and naming and saving in-app), into Sections and Folders that would help avoid accidentally bringing up the wrong ones because you are working in a hierarchy that you build, in a way that makes sense to you.

To put it another way, Evernote is like a bottomless storage bin that you can locate anything you want, provided you know "how." Which, if you're not a really experienced user who knows the full Search capability so well it's pretty much second nature (which it definitely is not for me), can take up considerable amounts of time and lead to the accidents you've described where you bring up the wrong file.

If you're coming from a Windows type background, or even just a paper filing system, you are used to working in a hierarchical system. Having tried Zendone for this very reason, I think it might work for you. The only reason I didn't stay with it is that for me personally, it was overkill. I don't keep absolutely everything in Evernote (at least not yet :) ), and I don't have to worry about clients or colleagues seeing what I do use it for.

Anyway, if I've peaked your interest, I would suggest you Google the company site, watch their demo video, read about the features and then decide.

Cheers! :)

Some of these issues are resolved a bit if EN were to enhance it search functionality properly though (and the OP I *think* sort of hints at it). With a premium account, you can search in attached documents, but that is a useless feature actually. After a few PDF or Word attachments (heaven forbid anything nearly the size of a book) and almost every search returns far too many results with no way to exclude attachments or be specific in a manner that you are confident will work (the docs/attachments/images have lots and lots of words and the collisions are everywhere). 

• Level 5*

I have the same situation and sometimes need to search when presenting to a roomful of people.  What I have done is create a "work" stack containing all of my work notebooks (all local in my case).  Then I create a saved search, stack:Work.  I call this Search Work Only.  This is then saved to Shortcuts.  When I need to search work only information I first click on the Search Work Only shortcut and then click in the search window and type in my search terms.  It will search just that stack, and saves me from typing stack:Work for every work only search.  If all of your work is in a single notebook, can you do this at the notebook level instead.

• Level 5*

It is definitely a work around, but it works well for me.  It doesn't limit my organization since I use very few notebooks and only created the stack because I do have a few work notebooks and I wanted to include them all in the work search.  For related notes, you can disable that, View -> Show Related Notes.  I keep that unchecked.

Simply because something is a workaround doesn't mean that the software is flawed. IE medications are often used "off label". It's just different people using something for a different purpose. This feature may or may not be something EN will add at a future date. However, there are already several good & viable ways to get around the issue of separating work/personal notes that have been mentioned in this thread. So I doubt this is a high priority for Evernote, at this time. That's assuming it's on the to do list at all.

You're right.

But I think that its more than separate work/personnal.

If we could mark out the range of searched notes in global search and related notes, it could be more usefull.

Yes, robisme. I think you have totally understand my request :)

I will give it a try on different account methord temporary,hope any of same function will add soon

• 11 months later...

I completely agree! I run in to the same issue - like to keep personal and work separate, but not :-) At least being able to select "personal" or "business" would be handy! I asked Evernote about this too - they didn't have any suggestions. 

• Level 5*

Hmnn - Evernote Business is another product,  which if you have a business (hence the name) and several employees,  is great for allowing employees to keep their two lives separate.  However...  getting to grips with a new product,  which is similar to,  but not the same as EN Premium,  and involves extra administration work connected with controlling others' access to notebooks and libraries,  is actually more difficult (IMHO) than just using two accounts and sharing information between them.  However (again) Evernote's general attitude is "if it works for you...",  so if you want to try it out,  go ahead!!

Archived