importing outlook contacts into evernote

hello 

can anyone point me in the right direction please?

i want to list out my ms outlook contacts into an evernote note.  its important that it turns out to be a list of all of them. not one at a time.

many thanks for any help.

• Level 5

hello 

can anyone point me in the right direction please?

i want to list out my ms outlook contacts into an evernote note.  its important that it turns out to be a list of all of them. not one at a time.

many thanks for any help.

This is what I did:

1. exported contacts from google contacts into a csv file (comma separated values, I think it should be possible in Outlook as well)

2. imported csv file into Microsoft Excel (OpenOffice/LibreOffice simpress works in the same way)

3. cleaned-up Excel table (removed unused columns etc.)

4. exported Excel table into pdf file

5 imported pdf file into Evernote

It works but whenever you change your contacts you have to repeat the process.

• Level 5*

As an option,  a CSV file is just a text file,  so if you want to have a different format and can handle some manipulation in a word-processor file,  you can just import it into your WP file and go crazy with formatting and layout.

a big big thankyou to stuhrer and gazumped!!

worked like a treat!  clever guys!

for any who follow, i discovered the following information that was useful for me:

** instructions to export the contacts listing to excel via a csv file and then import it into excel:  http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook-help/export-contacts-HA101870639.aspx   (from the microsoft website).

** i didnt actually import the excel file created above into evernote.  I found all i needed to do was to select the relevant rows and columns and and copy then paste the result into a new evernote note.  worked very well. 

this is my first foray into the world of evernote and i am very impressed.  i think i will appreciate it more and more as i increasingly work from my phone, laptop, pc and e-reader.  its fabbo!

thanks again to stuhrer and gazumped

regards

hominid

• 6 months later...

Hello! I am trying to import my business card contacts into my Outlook. I have Evernote downloaded on my phone and my computer, I have my contacts automatically "Saving to Contacts", yet when I sync they are still not exporting to my Outlook account. Can someone from Evernote help? Thanks!!

• Level 5*

Hi - no Evernote tech support from staff here I'm afraid - it's a User Forum.  What devices devices do you have?  Windows/iOS/Android/Mac?  And how are your business card contacts being stored - scanned into Evernote?

Hi! Thanks very much for your reply. I'm using my iPhone to scan the business cards into Evernote on my phone, and I have the Evernote program downloaded onto my work computer which uses Microsoft Outlook Exchange for business emails- and that is where I want the contacts stored. I would like to import them directly from Evernote to my Outlook contacts folder, but they aren't, even when I hit the "Sync" button in Evernote on my computer.

Hi Sharih,

As far as I know, unless the business card has turned into useful text there is nothing you can do.

If it has turned into text then it will be about importing that into something like a spreadsheet and making sure each contact details are the same.

How many do you have?

If not too many I would just type it out.

If you have several thousand, it would not cost a lot to get someone to type them into a spreadsheet.

Best regards

Chris 

I have hundreds of cards, too many to type out. Once they are in a spreadsheet do you know if you can upload that into Microsoft Exchange? The end goal is to get them into my Outlook contacts without typing them all in. Thanks!

• Level 5*

I have hundreds of cards, too many to type out. Once they are in a spreadsheet do you know if you can upload that into Microsoft Exchange? The end goal is to get them into my Outlook contacts without typing them all in. Thanks!

I think you will find it a big challenge to get the contact data out of Evernote in a useful form for importing to Outlook.

You would probably have to write a script to process the HTML export from Evernote.

If you still have the business cards you scanned into your iPhone, I'd suggest finding a scanner and software that will either directly produce Outlook contacts, or a CSV file of the contacts.  You can import CSV file into Outlook by going to File > Import.

I have seen a number of apps that will generate CSV files from scanned biz cards.  And, if I remember right, some scanners like the ScanSnap will scan and generate Outlook contacts.

• 2 years later...

I have written a program that will take the export from outlook in TAB delimited format and converts it to ENEX format.  It has a few requirements.

1) Must either have First and Last Name or Company, I use this as the Title

2) There must be no extraneous TAB characters in any of the fields (save as CSV, look for TAB characters and then go into Outlook and remove them).

It works for me, but my format is very simple.  Any one interested in playing with this conversion tool please ask here on the forum.  New to this forum, so hopefully there is a way to send E-Mail address's without putting it here as public.

Example:

Company Absolute Smile Dental
Business Street 5206 Rufe Snow Dr
Business City North Richland Hills
Business State TX
Business Postal Code 76180
Business Country/Region United States of America
Business Phone (817) 281-5000
Notes Mon, Wed-Fri, 10 Am ? 6 Pm
Notes Sat 9 Am ? 1 PM

I am planning on cleaning this up a little more, fixed format and adding : and making every thing line up better.  This is version 1.0 of the program.  The ? should be a - (Dash), not sure why it is a dash in Outlook but shows up as ? in the export file.

Bill

Archived