How to implement hierarchical tags in Evernote 5.5.1 for Mac OS X 10.6.8 ? S.O.S

Adira

Idea

Hi,

I just started using Evernote to implement my GTD system based on the "After the book" method but i faced a tricky situation : i don't know how to create tags which are “nested” inside one another in order to organize all my notes (and i really tried to find it out for hours!!).

Does anybody have a solution to his issue?

Thank you.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi,

I just started using Evernote to implement my GTD system based on the "After the book" method but i faced a tricky situation : i don't know how to create tags which are “nested” inside one another in order to organize all my notes (and i really tried to find it out for hours!!).

Does anybody have a solution to his issue?

Thank you.

You can create nested tags, but the nesting doesn't help organize your Notes.  The ONLY benefit to next Tags is to organize your Tag list. 

I was about to tell you how to add a sub-tag, but when I went to test it out the process used with EN Mac V3 doesn't seem to work in EN Mac V5.  I could not find any way to add a sub-tag!!!  This is unbelievable!?!?!?

I'm sure there must be some way to do it, but it is NOT INTUITIVE NOR DISCOVERABLE.  :angry:

EDIT:  In EN Mac V3, it was VERY SIMPLE:  Right-click on the Parent Tag and select "Add Tag".

• Level 5*

OK, so there IS a way to create hierarchical tags in ver 5.

But this create then drag-n-drop approach is a GIANT step backwards.

If you have more than about 25 tags, this is impractical/

Evernote Devs, what where you thinking when you REMOVED the right-click to add a new tag?  Really???

Evernote Devs, what where you thinking when you REMOVED the right-click to add a new tag?  Really???

That's why our whole office - with 4 EN accounts - is still on v3.3.0.

The Tag functions in later versions have been so mangled, they are unusable.

Bizarre. One of the many reason I no longer recommend EN to anyone.

Why "simplicity" of course.  Or as the artsy designer says in the video "minimizing distractions and letting the content shine through".  Which is design speak for "remove vital functionality to make things look simple while actually making the product more complex".  I rarely use the Mac client but I believe it's been this way for a while.  I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Having just look at this on my Mac, my best guess is this is another case of dumbing down a PC interface so that it becomes more consistent with the touch mobile interface, in this case the iPad.

Archived