Camera Vs. Page Camera. What is the difference?

I wonder if there is any difference between Camera and Page Camera in Evernote for Android.

Major difference I see is that Page Camera is extremely slow. It takes ages for a page to be processed after taking a scan. Scanning 3 pages takes 2 or 3 minutes. It should take 1 minute maximum - it takes 1 minute with Google Drive app.

• Level 5*

Camera = WYSIWYG: pictures as viewed (more or less),  taken one at a time.

Page Camera = auto-cropping to the edge of the document page you photographed,  enhancement of the text for optimal OCR and multi-page recording.

You can choose between the two.

Thank you for your reply.

Does that mean that no text on pictures made with Camera will NOT be OCR'ed at all?

Is the Page Camera slow for you, too?

I use Galaxy Note 2. It is still a very fast phone but the Page Camera takes ages between pages.

• Evernote Expert

Even if you take pictures using the default mode, the contents will continue to be OCR'd and will be searchale using Evernote. But, that mode is recommended for regular picture shots i.e a Digital Camera Effect. 

If you want to use Evernote to manage documents, then you can use Document Camera, which will flatten the taken picture, and try to detect edges and smooth the document, by removing unwanted background. i.e similar to Cam Scanner Effect. 

• Level 5*

Thank you for your reply.

Does that mean that no text on pictures made with Camera will NOT be OCR'ed at all?

Is the Page Camera slow for you, too?

I use Galaxy Note 2. It is still a very fast phone but the Page Camera takes ages between pages.

I didn't mean to suggest normal cam pictures would not be OCR'd,  just that the page camera is supposed to generate better results from documents.  As noted above,  they're both OCR'd.  Page cam seems OK to me on a Galaxy S3 - it takes a little while to process each shot,  but as long as there's reasonable contrast between a document and its background it will autocrop down to the page edges and enhance the text.

Archived