How to Link to Excel Spreadsheet on Local Computer

Hello, 

I am new to Evernote (5.3.0.3360) and have a simple question. 

In a note, I want to insert a link to a spreadsheet which exists on my computer so that I can view and edit it in the note.

I can right click in the note and use the "Attach Files" option, but that creates a new spreadsheet and puts it in ...Evernote\Databases\Attachments folder.  Now I have 2 spreadsheets.

I only want a link to the original, so that I can edit it in Evernote, or directly from its original location.

Synchronizing it in the cloud is not important.

Can this be done?

Thanks

Mike Thomas

812 331 8657

• Level 5*

You don't mention which OS you're using,  but whatever mechanism you use to create a 'normal' shortcut should work with Evernote - just create a shortcut and drag it into a note.  Be aware that you can only access that spreadsheet from a note in Evernote on the same computer where the spreadsheet is stored.  It's actually more effective to attach the file to an Evernlote note - you can open and re-save the file from and to the note from any computer that has Excel installed.

• Level 5*

Hello, 

I am new to Evernote (5.3.0.3360) and have a simple question. 

In a note, I want to insert a link to a spreadsheet which exists on my computer so that I can view and edit it in the note.

I can right click in the note and use the "Attach Files" option, but that creates a new spreadsheet and puts it in ...Evernote\Databases\Attachments folder.  Now I have 2 spreadsheets.

I only want a link to the original, so that I can edit it in Evernote, or directly from its original location.

Synchronizing it in the cloud is not important.

Can this be done?

Thanks

Mike Thomas

812 331 8657

The Attachments folder is not where Evernote stores your attachments permanently. It's a folder that Evernote uses to store the copy of your attachments while you're editing them. When you're done, it should be able to remove the temporary copy automatically.

If you just want to store a link to an attachment, then you can create a Windows shortcut for it, and drag that into a note, or copy the path name to the document, and in your note, use the Add Hyperlink functionality (Ctrl+K) and paste the path into that.

Archived