(Archived) using Evernote to store passwords (security question)

Hi, I have just started using Evernote, and would like to use it as a replacement for Yojimbo for Mac, since I really need to have web/iPhone access to my notes.

One thing I would like to (possibly) transfer into Evernote is my various website passwords. I know that Evernote is not built specifically for this, but I would like to ask if it would be a good/bad idea to use Evernote in this way. I also realize that Evernote has 2 different security types: "standard" (whatever that is) and the some sort of SSL for the paid version.

I would love a breakdown over whether using Evernote for passwords is a good idea, and whether i should upgrade to the paid version if so.

Thank you!

You can't unencrypt with the web version. So, if you type in a password in your desktop app, and encrypt it, you can only see it on another desktop app - not the web itself. At least, that's the way it has been working.

Would this mean that I wouldn't be able to access it with the iPhone version either? Because that is the main reason I am switching to Evernote...to be able to use my notes with my iPhone.

So, the question remains: is Evernote (in the entirety of its web/mobile/desktop versions) suitable to store passwords, and if so can I use the regular version or should I use the paid version?

The iPhone currently allows you to view encrypted text, but not encrypt new text.

On the web, you can't currently view encrypted text, but this is something we plan to add in the near-ish future.

Evernote doesn't have any copies of your encryption passphrases or the derived keys, so we don't have any ability to read anything that you encrypt within a note. On the other hand, a dedicated desktop-based password management program may have some nice features (e.g. auto-filling forms on the web) that may be convenient.

Archived