Evernote 4 vs Evernote 5 Customer Satisfaction Survey

princess99

Please take time to complete this very quick survey about your experience with Evernote Version 4 and 5.

Disclaimer: This is not an official Evernote survey. However it was written in the hope that official Evernote employees will take notice of what their customers want.

Note: For simplicity, this survey distinguishes only two versions of Evernote: 4 and 5.

Limited to 100 participants only. Results so far can be seen here but I'd appreciate it if you could take the survey before you view the results. Many thanks for participating!!

FWIW, Evernote *does* listen to their customers. However, some users seem to confuse "listening" with implementing. If your feature requests are not implemented or implemented in the time frame you think they should be, that is not the same as listening. Your feature request may either be low on the priority list or not on the to-do list at all. IOW, EN may have listened & simply decided not to implement it.

Wow BurgersNFries, it's never easy to know what to say when the moderator goes off topic. This post is about completing a customer satisfaction survey, which I see you haven't done. If you want to discuss or defend the degree to which Evernote listens to or implements their customers' views, maybe you would be so kind as to fill in those views in the survey, or start your own topic with that heading.

Wow BurgersNFries, it's never easy to know what to say when the moderator goes off topic. This post is about completing a customer satisfaction survey, which I see you haven't done. If you want to discuss or defend the degree to which Evernote listens to or implements their customers' views, maybe you would be so kind as to fill in those views in the survey, or start your own topic with that heading.

My post is very ON topic. 

Due respect,  but if you post a topic in a discussion forum,  I think you have to allow some discussion..

I'm sorry, Gazumped, if I came across as trying to block all discussion. That's not the case at all.

I welcome any comments that people would like to make regarding the topic of this discussion, which is customer satisfaction with Evernote 4.x vs Evernote 5.x.

While I like you enthusiasm, unfortunately a survey like this is going to attract a passionate self selected group who care enough about the difference with 4 and 5 to spend time on the survey so may not be valid data.

• Level 5

While I like you enthusiasm, unfortunately a survey like this is going to attract a passionate self selected group who care enough about the difference with 4 and 5 to spend time on the survey so may not be valid data.

You are correct. It certainly attracted my attention.

• Level 5

Please take time to complete this very quick survey about your experience with Evernote Version 4 and 5.

Disclaimer: This is not an official Evernote survey. However it was written in the hope that official Evernote employees will take notice of what their customers want.

Note: For simplicity, this survey distinguishes only two versions of Evernote: 4 and 5.

Limited to 100 participants only. Results will be posted as soon as 100 people have completed the survey.

question #2 - does not include the list view (available in both version 4 and 5)

question #7 - Objection your Honor! Leading the witness!

Limited to 100 participants only. Results will be posted as soon as 100 people have completed the survey.

question #2 - does not include the list view (available in both version 4 and 5)

question #7 - Objection your Honor! Leading the witness!

jbenson2, thanks for your feedback.

Right, I didn't include list view in question #2 because it is a feature that has remained pretty much unchanged between versions 4 and 5. Basically we are only interested in the features that have been changed between versions 4 and 5.

#7 I don't see this as a leading question. Right now, the responses for that question are split at 20%, 30% and 50%, so if I was trying to push people in a certain direction, I'm not really doing a good job of it.

A survey which is capped at 100 responses is unlikely to be statistically valid in the strictest sense. However it may be able to provide a broader and clearer 'snapshot' of user opinion than a single discussion post alone could do.

As to being a self-selecting group, I think you're right, but that could be said about any forum post and I don't think that it invalidates the survey. With hundreds of new discussions being started every week, forum users are naturally only going to spend time writing responses to the issues that interest them.

The only alternative to having a survey based on a self-selecting group would be a compulsory/highly recommended survey for all Evernote users. In that case we would be drawing in responses in the 1000's and the data would be much more reliable. But as I'm not an Evernote employee, this is clearly impossible.

I'm just doing what I can, given these limitations. If many more people respond, maybe I'll take the plunge and upgrade my survey monkey account to receive more than 100 responses!

Thank you so much to the ten people who have completed the survey so far.

You can see the results and comments so far here

These results will be updated in real time as more people take the survey.

We need to get to 100 respondents.If you're just looking at this post and haven't taken the survey yet, I'd be really grateful if you could take the time to do it (it only takes a couple of mintues) :)

What is the point of this? A school project or something?

Since as far as I can tell you, do not work for Evernote or a company hired by them to guage customer satisfaction, I've been wondering what the purpose of your survey is as well. I fail to see what's offensive about Metrodon's query.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I just realized some things about this survey seem a tad fishy to me.

● Earlier in the thread you called out BNF for having an opinion you didn't like and then outed her for not having taken your survey. Are surveys by definition, supposed to be blind/anonymous? How can you get even a reflection of wider statistical evidence if you are identifying who has or has not participated?

● Now you're angry with Metrodon for asking the purpose of it. Why? If you are indeed not working on behalf of Evernote - which I don't believe you possibly could be because they are always upfront about who they are when stopping by the forum - what is wrong with asking you the purpose of your survey.

● And, I will upfront admit my tech ignorance here in that I don't understand how it works...but that said, how is it you know who has taken your survey and who hasn't? Do you, as a non-moderator, have access to user information? Or are is there somthing at the end of your survey asking people to identify themselves as real users and not spam? If so, that's fine, but it still comes back to my earlier point of survey data integrity.

● And, since I'm going there anyway - again, assuming you in no way represent Evernote - the Title of your original post is misleading. It implies that you are in fact a rep from them, which is why I opened the thread in the first place. I would be happy to cooperate in an actual Customer Satisfaction Survey if I knew it was A) anonymous and B) from Evernote itself.

A paranoid person might get the impression your are trolling for the competition so they (or you) can claim polling results showing unhappy Evernote customers and back it up with the appearance of actual documentation, ergo "your company" looks better. Just like political groups do. Just saying....

p.s. If you are a student and this is a project, just say so.

• Level 5*

Honestly, it was a perfectly innocent question.

You are a brand new forum member who is asking people to spend time filling out your survey with no real indication of what you are going to do with the data.

For a school project, I'd wish you luck and spend a few minutes helping you out.

If you are a user who thinks that you are going to "force" Evernote to roll back their UI to version 4 because you don't like 5, well good luck with that (it's never going to happen), but I won't waste my time on the survey.

Since as far as I can tell you, do not work for Evernote or a company hired by them to guage customer satisfaction, I've been wondering what the purpose of your survey is as well. I fail to see what's offensive about Metrodon's query.

Have you actually read the survey? A quick glance over it (or even just reading the title) would tell you that we are not surveying customer satisfaction in general, but user response to several features that have changed between version 4 and version 5. These features have all been the subject of multiple discussion posts, and yet have received no concrete answers from the Evernote development team. Then instead of creating yet another discussion forum, we put the questions into a survey. It's a graphical way of representing user opinion to the Evernote team on a variety of features that have changed between the two versions. And if you can't see why it's important to represent user opinion to the Evernote team in the best way possible, then it really is time to go back to school.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I just realized some things about this survey seem a tad fishy to me.

● Earlier in the thread you called out BNF for having an opinion you didn't like and then outed her for not having taken your survey. Are surveys by definition, supposed to be blind/anonymous? How can you get even a reflection of wider statistical evidence if you are identifying who has or has not participated?

● Now you're angry with Metrodon for asking the purpose of it. Why? If you are indeed not working on behalf of Evernote - which I don't believe you possibly could be because they are always upfront about who they are when stopping by the forum - what is wrong with asking you the purpose of your survey.

● And, I will upfront admit my tech ignorance here in that I don't understand how it works...but that said, how is it you know who has taken your survey and who hasn't? Do you, as a non-moderator, have access to user information? Or are is there somthing at the end of your survey asking people to identify themselves as real users and not spam? If so, that's fine, but it still comes back to my earlier point of survey data integrity.

● And, since I'm going there anyway - again, assuming you in no way represent Evernote - the Title of your original post is misleading. It implies that you are in fact a rep from them, which is why I opened the thread in the first place. I would be happy to cooperate in an actual Customer Satisfaction Survey if I knew it was A) anonymous and B) from Evernote itself.

A paranoid person might get the impression your are trolling for the competition so they (or you) can claim polling results showing unhappy Evernote customers and back it up with the appearance of actual documentation, ergo "your company" looks better. Just like political groups do. Just saying....

p.s. If you are a student and this is a project, just say so.

Wow, all of this hostility to a few bar graphs.

Let me correct the numerous errors and false assumptions in your recent comment

You said:

Earlier in the thread you called out BNF for having an opinion you didn't like.

No, I didn't. I kept the discussion on topic. Her comment was perfectly valid but it was so general and that it could have been posted in almost any feature request forum. Some people would call it 'Evangelist spam'-I see what she is saying, but I didn't want the thread to get diverted to talking about meaningless distinctions such as listening and not implementing at all, and listening and implementing within five years. The net result to the end -user is the same.

Now you're angry with Metrodon for asking the purpose of it.

No, that was not the reason I didn't care for his remark. Asking the purpose of a survey is a perfectly valid question, which is why I gave you an answer to your question. I took offense that he was equating my survey with a school project.

How is it you know who has taken your survey and who hasn't?

I don't. Have you ever used survey monkey? It's anonymous. The only way I knew was by looking at the survey count. BNF posted when only two other people had posted, who I knew about, so it was obvious she hadn't.

The Title of your original post is misleading.It implies that you are in fact a rep from them.

Well, if you had looked at the author of the post, or read the disclaimer right at the top, you would have seen straight a way that I was not a rep.

If you begrudge me those couple of clicks, or couple of seconds it took you to decide not to take the survey, then I'm very sorry.

And no, I am not a student, and not a rep.

Yes, I did read it. I just didn't see the point in participating. Evernote has made their business model clear. If we don't like, we are free to leave.

Also, by "We," I assume you have teamed up with other users?

Judging by your responses, it appears Metrodon was correct. You are hoping to "force" Evernote to change/revert to features you want. I doubt your angry survey quest will work, but okay, whatever floats you're boat.

Incidentally, I did notice you haven't actually answered any of the points I brought up and instead have chosen to just be insulting. I don't much care at this point. I started out genuinely wanting to know why and how you would use such data, but now I just don't care.

See ya!

Have you actually read the survey? A quick glance over it (or even just reading the title) would tell you that we are not surveying customer satisfaction in general, but user response to several features that have changed between version 4 and version 5. These features have all been the subject of multiple discussion posts, and yet have received no concrete answers from the Evernote development team. Then instead of creating yet another discussion forum, we put the questions into a survey. It's a graphical way of representing user opinion to the Evernote team on a variety of features that have changed between the two versions. And if you can't see why it's important to represent user opinion to the Evernote team in the best way possible, then it really is time to go back to school.

• Level 5*

Sure, the survey results are just more grist for the mill. Nothing wrong with that. I didn't take it because I see at least part of it as pushing a particular point of view in a simplistic (multiple choice) way without any way of expressing much outside the parameters of the questions; I think that discussion is more effective way of presenting argument, but maybe publishing the results will lead to more helpful discussion here eventually. And for me, the discussion's the thing. Whether Evernote staffers use the results to discuss/defend their choices is another matter, since that seems to be a partial motivation (since you mention that features important to you were never concretely discussed by them). Have to wait and see on that.

You might get faster uptake if you have the survey tell you which rock star/sports car/fish/whatever best represents you... :)

• Level 5*

I think the major problem with any group of users expressing an opinion is that on the one side you have a skinny 100 users (if you're lucky) who might want to roll back to a previous version.  On the other side you have the 300-pound gorilla of 90M users (or somewhere in that bailiwick) who will react badly to any more changes - even if it's to go back to the previous version.  We have no idea of how many of those users give feedback via the support links (see below) but I bet it's more than 100.  And we have no idea how much user feedback Evernote arranges in focus groups and surveys - but I bet it's more than 100.

(Not suggesting the thrust of the survey is looking for a roll-back,  just using that example.)

I'm pretty happy with Evernote as an app and a software provider - (Ever tried interacting with MS or Google?) - so I won't be completing the survey.  Good luck with the project though!

You are a brand new forum member who is asking people to spend time filling out your survey with no real indication of what you are going to do with the data.

For a school project, I'd wish you luck and spend a few minutes helping you out.

If you are a user who thinks that you are going to "force" Evernote to roll back their UI to version 4 because you don't like 5, well good luck with that (it's never going to happen), but I won't waste my time on the survey.

Maybe, but I didn't much appreciate your patronizing equation of the survey to a school project.

You are a brand new forum member

Um, been around since 2011. Just because I haven't had time to write thousands of posts like you doesn't mean I'm a newbie.

...with no real indication of what you are going to do with the data.

I'm not going to 'do' anything with it, except keep the link to the results posted for everyone to see.

If you are a user who thinks that you are going to "force" Evernote to roll back their UI to version 4 because you don't like 5, well good luck with that (it's never going to happen),

I don't think anyone who has spent any time perusing the Evernote discussion boards would imagine that it was possible to force Evernote to do anything. And who told you I wanted to go back to version 4? There are some things I like about version 5, and some things about version 4 that I wish they'd kept. That's it.

Sure, the survey results are just more grist for the mill. Nothing wrong with that. I didn't take it because I see at least part of it as pushing a particular point of view in a simplistic (multiple choice) way without any way of expressing much outside the parameters of the questions; I think that discussion is more effective way of presenting argument, but maybe publishing the results will lead to more helpful discussion here eventually. And for me, the discussion's the thing. Whether Evernote staffers use the results to discuss/defend their choices is another matter, since that seems to be a partial motivation (since you mention that features important to you were never concretely discussed by them). Have to wait and see on that.

You might get faster uptake if you have the survey tell you which rock star/sports car/fish/whatever best represents you... :)

I agree with you- I prefer discussion as well to really get into the nitty gritty of each individual issue. But sometimes the sheer number of discussions and points can be overwhelming, and important points made months or years ago can be abandoned for lack of response. A multiple choice survey is way more simplistic, maybe too simplistic, but it can be useful for giving a broader perspective.

Like your suggestion about adding the personal touch to the survey (maybe that's one to consider for next time LOL)

• Level 5*

I asked if it was a school project because frankly that's how it appears and as I said, if it was I'd be willing to help you out.

If your plan is just to share the data with participants then you should probably say so, how else would anyone know?

Good luck.

I think the major problem with any group of users expressing an opinion is that on the one side you have a skinny 100 users (if you're lucky) who might want to roll back to a previous version.  On the other side you have the 300-pound gorilla of 90M users (or somewhere in that bailiwick) who will react badly to any more changes - even if it's to go back to the previous version.  We have no idea of how many of those users give feedback via the support links (see below) but I bet it's more than 100.  And we have no idea how much user feedback Evernote arranges in focus groups and surveys - but I bet it's more than 100.

(Not suggesting the thrust of the survey is looking for a roll-back,  just using that example.)

I'm pretty happy with Evernote as an app and a software provider - (Ever tried interacting with MS or Google?) - so I won't be completing the survey.  Good luck with the project though!

Thanks Gazumped, even though you didn't take the survey I appreciate your honest feedback. You know I totally agree (and have mentioned in a previous post also) that this is a very humble undertaking in comparison with the vast amount of feedback that Evernote must be receiving on a daily basis.

It might surprise you to know that I'm also pretty happy with Evernote, especially in comparison to One Note or other document management systems I've tried in the past. I do have my feature 'wish list' like anyone but in doing this survey I was not particularly trying to target one group or push my own opinion. (In that sense you needn't have excluded yourself from the survey, but of course I respect your decision not to do it). I just wanted to see how other people viewed the transition from v4 to v5, to see if they also had the same opinions as me about things like the loss of thumbnail view and the lack of contrast on the interface in v4, and the superior tagging capabilities in v5.

If so, great-that would be clearly communicated in graphic form to the user community and Evernote, but if not, that would be ok too.

One thing I've noticed looking at the forums over the last year and the number of 'urgent' feature requests relating to version 5 is at a high.You may well be right that most of the 90 M users would not favor a full rollback to v4, but equally I don't think it's accurate to portray them as very satisfied and resistant to change either.

Anyway thanks for your input!

• Evernote Expert

I am not going into the inner issues of what the thread has thrown out so far. Evernote v5 is definitely much more feature rich and in theory is supposed to be much more productive... But what good is it with such a buggy release?

Windows used to be my go to client, but off late, I am moving towards ios, simply because windows crashes too often..

Atleast, I can accept other errors, but the 'search bar' which is supposed to be the heart of the Evernote experience.. The freeze still is there after so many iterations of v5 client.. I am a beta tester as well, it is still there even in this release.. Yes v5 offers type ahead search, v4 doesn't. But how long do the search results take for both versions ?

Anyone who has used both v4 and v5 will know the difference.. And worse, if your in a hurry to get the results and force the v5 client will crash. The experience in v4 was seamless.

Given issues like this which continue to be there almost a year after v5 came out, months after Evernote did a survey of its own across all clients and was not transparent enough to share its results on the web, I feel that this will be a small microcosm of the response received by Evernote.

It would also help if some people read the message sent out by Phil libin to existing Evernote users at the beginning of the year, and understand that there is nothing wrong in admitting, when things are actually wrong, which some people here in the forum ( who are otherwise quite helpful, especially to new users) may never do so.

• Level 5*

I am not going into the inner issues of what the thread has thrown out so far. Evernote v5 is definitely much more feature rich and in theory is supposed to be much more productive... But what good is it with such a buggy release?

I don't find it to be particularly buggy, and they're making improvements on a regular basis. I think that some of the new feature rollouts could have been handled more smoothly (e.g., the new sync process, and the new note link behavior), but overall things tend to improve over time.

Windows used to be my go to client, but off late, I am moving towards ios, simply because windows crashes too often..

I track the betas, and use Evernote every day; haven't had it crash in quite awhile, a couple of months anyways.

Atleast, I can accept other errors, but the 'search bar' which is supposed to be the heart of the Evernote experience.. The freeze still is there after

so many iterations of v5 client.. I am a beta tester as well, it is still there even in this release.. Yes v5 offers type ahead search, v4 doesn't. But how long do the search results take for both versions ?

V4 certainly has type-ahead search. As did earlier iterations, 3.5 at least. There seem to be longer stalls in type-ahead search with v5, but that seems to have calmed down since first release.

Anyone who has used both v4 and v5 will know the difference.. And worse, if your in a hurry to get the results and force the v5 client will crash. The experience in v4 was seamless.

Haven't seen that, but I'm not doubting your experience. Not sure what you mean by 'seamless', unless you're referring to crashes, which are certainly seams in a user experience.

It would also help if some people read the message sent out by Phil libin to existing Evernote users at the beginning of the year, and understand that there is nothing wrong in admitting, when things are actually wrong, which some people here in the forum ( who are otherwise quite helpful, especially to new users) may never do so.

I'm not sure who you mean when you refer to 'some people'. If you're going to generalize, then be specific, otherwise -- "whatever". 'Some people' who have posted in this topic have communicated their opinions on their likes and dislikes of Evernote clients any number of times, including V5. I know that I have. There's nothing to 'admit', as far as I'm concerned. And as it stands, I'm not interested in going back to V4, not because I think that V5 perfect (which it isn't, but neither was V4), but because I think that V5 is *better*.

Well so far 14 people have taken the survey about Evernote 4 vs 5...

You can see the results here

Interestingly, so far  a majority (65%) of people have said that overall they prefer version 5, but an equal majority  (65%) say that Evernote 4 felt more stable and less prone to crashing than Evernote 5.

A majority (55%) also prefer the thumbnail view of Evernote 4 to card view in Evernote 5.

At this stage, we've already had the discussions about the 'agenda' behind the survey (none), and the questionable statistical validity of conducting such a small scale survey (agreed) but I'd really like to hear comments about the topic of the survey itself.

It's not that we all want to roll back to version 4 as there are obviously some great improvements in version 5 . But what do you think about card view, for example? Is it cutting it for you?

I am not a graphic designer but I remember reading some posts that for people who use Evernote for image storage and categorization, the change has really messed up the whole Evernote experience. For me personally, as an academic, I guess it's less important, but it has made it considerably more difficult to view my books and journals.See quotes from this thread as an example

Is there anything else which you are missing from version 4-perhaps changes in the interface, or other features which Evernote has dropped?

BTW the survey is still very much active and will remain so until we get 100 responses. Thanks!!

• Level 5*

Well so far 14 people have taken the survey about Evernote 4 vs 5...

To be honest, I thought this was a student request as well.  Surveymonkey is popular with students so I also jumped to that conclusion.

You may have better luck getting responses if you were more open about the purpose of the survey and how the data will be used, as others have asked.  If you think Evernote will use this then I believe you may have wasted your time.  They have their own ways of gathering customer input.  I suspect that forum input plays a very small role and I doubt surveymonkey results are even on the list.

Folks on this forum are pretty helpful but you are not giving us any reasons why we should take time to help with this, and who is the "we" that you keep on referring to?

To be honest, I thought this was a student request as well.  Surveymonkey is popular with students so I also jumped to that conclusion.

You may have better luck getting responses if you were more open about the purpose of the survey and how the data will be used, as others have asked.  If you think Evernote will use this then I believe you may have wasted your time.  They have their own ways of gathering customer input.  I suspect that forum input plays a very small role and I doubt surveymonkey results are even on the list.

Folks on this forum are pretty helpful but you are not giving us any reasons why we should take time to help with this, and who is the "we" that you keep on referring to?

Indeed, this forum is only a small fraction of the input EN receives. "Some people" think this is the only input & forget that there are tens of millions of EN users & only a small fraction of them participate on this board. As Gaz said, EN has used independent testing & focus groups to get feedback regarding their product. It OP's purpose is not for school & (supposedly) not to try to strong arm EN into doing what "they" want (yeah, well good luck with that), then there would appear to be no other purpose than a time killer.

Wow this is really not worth my time(but not for the reasons given by BNF) . It seems that some people :

-cannot be bothered to read previous forum posts before posting*

-seem unable the stick to the discussion topic

-are quite happy with forceful expressions of opinion in forum posts but associate a free survey, open to and viewable by everyone, with coercion

-can't get past the fact that bar charts or survey tools might be useful out of high school as a springboard for useful discussion and representation of people's opinions

-happily entrust their sensitive data to cloud services such as Evernote but are paranoid about how the data collected from simple, anonymous multiple choice questions might be used against them in the future.

*@BNF Already acknowledged the futility of forcing Evernote to do anything, so no need to wish me good luck with it. What you said about Evernote having multiple channels of gathering user feedback is true. But the user forum is here, and people are still posting to it everyday because they feel it is a significant way to share opinions and possibly shape the development of future releases.

@s2sailor tick, already explained in post to Metrodon and others above that I am not going to 'do' anything with the data except post a link to the results which is open for everyone to see.

This is getting boring. I wanted to have a discussion about v4 versus 5 based on the survey results but it's clear that for whatever reason, a few of the Evernote 'heavyweights' are not comfortable with the use of bar charts in a user forum.

I'll keep the link to the survey active for anyone to take the survey or see the results if interested.

• Level 5*

I don't in any way mean to be disrespectful to the idea or the execution of the survey - we should have said before: it was good of you to spend time putting these questions together,  and thanks for being willing to keep on coming back to defend your corner and try to pull everyone onto the main topic.  Evernote is lucky to attract individuals who are willing to put this sort of effort in to help the developers generate a better product.

But (You knew that was coming, right?)

This is an open forum and within broad limits all its members (including the Modervangelists) are allowed to express an opinion,  whether or not it's either complimentary or strictly on topic.

We'll police any blatant abuses,  but discussion is the name of the game and this is pretty much what you're getting.

On the positive side,  and as we keep on saying (sorry) the devs do read these posts,  though they don't often comment on work in progress.

If you do post further points of interest as and when any more surveys get completed,  I'm sure they'll be interested - though Evernote is pretty much like an oil tanker these days;  it stops for no-one, and you need a calendar to time the braking and acceleration.

Up to you whether or not you decide to continue to contribute,  but don't take it to heart.  Underneath their gruff exterior,  some of these guys are..  a bit less gruff?

B)

Archived