Jump to content
Due to limited holiday staffing, chat will be unavailable from Thursday, July 2 at 5:30 PM (CDT) to Monday, July 13 at 8 AM (CDT). This will allow us to reply to your email requests as quickly as possible. Thank you for understanding. ×
  • 553
ajschmidt

Text Collapse [Outlining]

Idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

 

2 hours ago, pdoninelli said:

Here is an example that you can run and test. https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_js_collapsible.asp

It needs some javascript, there might be some challenges for the desktop version because I am not sure how would javascript be implemented in desktop version.

So; it seems very easy to implement, except for the JavaScript... and CSS

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
53 minutes ago, DTLow said:

 

So; it seems very easy to implement, except for the JavaScript... and CSS

In web I know all of those are doable HTML+JavaScript+CSS as in the example i sent but on the desktop I'm not sure what would be the code behind. HTML+JavaScript+CSS is just the web-front end languages. On desktop you would probably use C# with some content processing libraries, where you would need to add a similar logic to the one that the example does with JavaScript in the web scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Seriously... how is this not a feature yet?  Is Evernote even working on it?  Is it even on the roadmap?  I get that we have to "Pick our apps to fit our needs"; but some of us are hoping to stick and grow with Evernote.  This is clearly a feature many longtime Evernote users have been asking for; but what we get is crickets... 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 hours ago, pdoninelli said:

In web I know all of those are doable HTML+JavaScript+CSS as in the example i sent but on the desktop I'm not sure what would be the code behind. HTML+JavaScript+CSS is just the web-front end languages. On desktop you would probably use C# with some content processing libraries, where you would need to add a similar logic to the one that the example does with JavaScript in the web scenario.

FYI Evernote uses the Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) for rendering, across all platforms, I think. Not sure how it all hangs together, but eventually you'd need some place to store collapse state: the section of the note, and collapsed/expanded. Is that part of the note (collapsible sections persist with the note), or stored locally on the device? If it's persisted with the note, then you need some way in the note format to denote that, and it needs to comport with the ENML standard (Evernote format; https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php). So, some issues to keep in mind when theorizing about how Evernote might do this...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
22 hours ago, David N - Research Analyst said:

Case and point, Evernote Super Guru @DTLow -- thank you for adding nothing but more hostility.

I don't know about the imaginary Evernote representatives; I'm seeing hostility from Evernote Member @David N - Research Analyst

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Please... this is the one thing that makes me go back to Workflowy a lot, even though it is not as full-featured as Evernote. Need this!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
21 hours ago, EAR3321 said:

this is the one thing that makes me go back to Workflowy a lot, even though it is not as full-featured as Evernote.

One of the great things about Evernote is the note can contain files of any format.
You can use the editor that works best for you.

I use the Evernote editor for basic notes; MS-Word/Apple-Pages for extended word processing features.  
I'll check out the Workflowy editor but so far my requirements are addressed with this combination.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

+1, in a big way.

One note doesn't do a great job at it - if Evernote does even half as good they will pick up a lot of new users and keep their current happy.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 minutes ago, CraigD said:

I have begun to research alternatives that would offer this feature

An Evernote Note can contain content of any format.
Check out word processing software like MS Word.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
31 minutes ago, CraigD said:

here's what I'm using as a compromise

Nice work-around.  I just use Word or Workflowy (whichever's most appropriate).  Hadn't thought of this.  They're all compromises unless and until Evernote rolls out their own option...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I would vote for this, too. My team and I are heavy users of Workflowy. We have often commented that this would make an amazing addition to Evernote.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

So many pulls, but no answered by dev for such long time,

probably this feature never gonna be happened on Evernote.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 8/3/2018 at 5:32 PM, NamD said:

probably this feature never gonna be happened on Evernote.

Evernote is adding word processing features but I don't think the base format (enml/html) supports "Collapsible / Expandable Outlines within Notes"

Until this is implemented, my recomendation is use a word processing editor/doccument.
There are also work-arounds, such as a link to a separate note.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote is adding word processing features but I don't think the base format (enml/html) supports "Collapsible / Expandable Outlines within Notes"

Actually this is a core, simple, HTML feature:
HTML summary Tag 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
22 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Actually this is a core, simple, HTML feature:
HTML summary Tag 

The HTML Summary Tag actually does work on Evernote/Mac945713311_ScreenShot2018-08-06at10_02_19.png.c769550b207381977acf9ead7f518e62.png1414878671_ScreenShot2018-08-06at10_14_33.png.2394dd9a1bc4273a67f019d2fef9c9a8.png
It requires a direct edit of the notes .enml file to insert the code
        
Unfortunately the note displays corrupted on the IOS and Web platforms.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 hours ago, DTLow said:

The HTML Summary Tag actually does work on Evernote/Mac945713311_ScreenShot2018-08-06at10_02_19.png.c769550b207381977acf9ead7f518e62.png1414878671_ScreenShot2018-08-06at10_14_33.png.2394dd9a1bc4273a67f019d2fef9c9a8.png
Currently it requires a direct edit of the notes .enml file to insert the code
        
Unfortunately the note displays corrupted on the IOS and Web platforms.

That might be why I cannot get it to work in Windows either, at least not the example at https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml5_summary

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

This is very important to me and unfortunately I'll have to switch to Workflowy (and abandon some important Evernote functionalities) if it doesn't get implemented in one of the next versions.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

+1 for folding paragraphs
I'm not using Evernote heavily (hence I've never bought the premium exactly because of the lack of this folding feature)...
I've resorted to using Textmate (or other code editors) that allow me to fold sections of text by simply wrapping them in a "/*    */"

--- Example of unfolded section
/* first line will always be readable
second line will be hidden
*/


--- Example of folded section
/* fist line will always be readable


@DTLow and @jefito
I think that a simple version would be possible to do it even just with CSS styling
I've created a sample without javascript here: http://jsfiddle.net/j5h4o2ad/25/

it would be awesome if Evernote considered extending the ENML with one or 2 more tags
like "en-folded" and "en-unfolded"
or if not possible, change the styling of the "area" tag

and to switch between one or the other, if actions / Javascript can't be inserted in the note content itself for security reasons,
it could be added on the window that holds the note, on the margin of the note, where in coding IDEs you normally see the number of the lines, and the folding triangles.

what do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, beltran said:

I think that a simple version would be possible to do it even just with CSS styling

Even simpler is the HTML Summary Tag.
It works on Evernote/Mac but not on other platforms

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
18 hours ago, DTLow said:

Even simpler is the HTML Summary Tag.
It works on Evernote/Mac but not on other platforms

how does that work? can we insert the tag where we want in a note or it's only if the web page which we clip has the tag?
thanks

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, beltran said:

how does that work? can we insert the tag where we want in a note or it's only if the web page which we clip has the tag?
thanks

There's no UI.  I directly edit the enml/html code with a text editor

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

There's no UI.  I directly edit the enml/html code with a text editor

interesting... could you give a bit more details on the process please?
is it mac or windows?

I've open the content.enml file
(had to search by date inside of the hashed folder in
~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com/6161906/content/2019AF79-87F5-49F4-96E5-F899B06B49B7,
unless you have a better option)

I've added the <summary> tag wrapping a list for example
but the folding functionality doesn't appear to be there

(I'm using EN Version 7.4 (456999 Direct))

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, beltran said:

interesting... could you give a bit more details on the process please?
is it mac or windows?

You've got the idea with editing the content.enml file.  I also access the note in Evernote and make an update so the back-end changes get uploaded to the server
Windows users can get a .enex file to edit by exporting the note

We can make simple changes to the code.  807542311_ScreenShot2018-09-05at08_05_49.png.f7349e3e58916d73e6258beb9bf8cdb7.png
The code I entered was

As I said, this actually works on my Mac, but not on other platforms

 

>>(had to search by date inside of the hashed folder in ~/Library/Application Support/com.evern... unless you have a better option)

I'm doing this a lot so I wrote a script to launch Finder with the correct folder.  Documented at 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
38 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You've got the idea with editing the content.enml file.  I also access the note in Evernote and make an update so the back-end changes get uploaded to the server
Windows users don't have a content.enml file to edit.  They can export/import the note.  This gives them a .enex file to edit.

We can make simple changes to the code.  807542311_ScreenShot2018-09-05at08_05_49.png.f7349e3e58916d73e6258beb9bf8cdb7.png
The code I entered was

As I said, this actually works on the Mac, but not on other platforms

 

>>(had to search by date inside of the hashed folder in ~/Library/Application Support/com.evern... unless you have a better option)

I'm doing this a lot so I wrote a script to launch Finder with the correct folder.  Documented at 

 

this is exactly what I did... I added the summary tag to a part of the text but it didn't work.

I checked that it was correctly updating adding other content to the note inserting it in the .enml file
and it was working

how is it's supposed to look when you fold / unfold inside of the evernote note?
do you have to assign a CSS style somewhere?
 

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 17.40.20.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
22 minutes ago, beltran said:

this is exactly what I did... I added the summary tag to a part of the text but it didn't work.

I checked that it was correctly updating adding other content to the note inserting it in the .enml file
and it was working

how is it's supposed to look when you fold / unfold inside of the evernote note?
do you have to assign a CSS style somewhere?

I can't comment on list tags in enml/html, but this code works.  No CSS required

1399107184_ScreenShot2018-09-05at08_52_09.png.d32873a7f448f39736f467a3ebdac67f.png   392120581_ScreenShot2018-09-05at08_53_51.png.e86aaf74a5ac911f3355f7c475149cfa.png     396876995_ScreenShot2018-09-05at08_50_19.png.63badada57863fd2d6e31fa3029e15e0.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
58 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I can't comment on list tags in enml/html, but this code works

1399107184_ScreenShot2018-09-05at08_52_09.png.d32873a7f448f39736f467a3ebdac67f.png   392120581_ScreenShot2018-09-05at08_53_51.png.e86aaf74a5ac911f3355f7c475149cfa.png     396876995_ScreenShot2018-09-05at08_50_19.png.63badada57863fd2d6e31fa3029e15e0.png

 

????? yay! that works. Thanks a lot @DTLow

the important duo of tags is the <details> (which I was missing) and <summary>  
the <summary> tag will be visible when the section is folded


ah what a dream if the Evernote developers added this to the UI!! !!! :)

now onto your script to quickly open the note with finder ;)


 

<details>
  <summary> what you want to be visible when you fold </summary>
    any other content that you want
    <p> a paragraph </a>
	<ul>
	   <li><div>or a list</div></li>
	   <li><div>of whatever</div></li>
	   <li><div>you want</div></li>
    </ul>
</details>
  

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Yes sadly, with the history of lack of innovation and the recent corporate leadership issues, I'm preparing for the worst with Evernote and looking into how to export to OneNote -- I mean do you guys realize how little I want to be using a Microsoft product?!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
40 minutes ago, David N - Research Analyst said:

I'm preparing for the worst with Evernote

I'm preparing for Evernote's continued storage of my notes and syncing to my devices.
I've seen no reason for any concerns, and look for a long future with Evernote.

I have no concerns with  exporting my data; the export feature runs weekly as part of my backups.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/12/2018 at 7:29 PM, Wolfach said:

Is Evernote even working on it?  Is it even on the roadmap? 

For various reasons, Evernote does not publish a roadmap of their development.
This feature could appear in the next release, but Evernote has given no indication they're interested in it.
I'm also looking at the base format for notes (enml/html) and I'm not seeing the feature supported.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

hi 

we have many contents in Evernote . so if Evernote can be made with accordions text feature 

may be a title and summary  can shape structure but accordions text feature can show a little bit  content (image, text, video )

 

Untitled.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Collapsible outlining has been requested many times.  You might want to find one of those threads and consolidate your vote there.  Here's a link.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 hours ago, rasool said:

we have many contents in Evernote . so if Evernote can be made with accordions text feature 

may be a title and summary  can shape structure but accordions text feature can show a little bit  content (image, text, video )

"Accordions text" not an Evernote feature. 

My work-around is to move the text to another note, and include a link
I also use file attachments for anything beyond basic notes.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I agree, collapsable sections/bullets would be very useful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Collapsing PDF and Images would be awesome.  They take too much real-estate 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, dirq said:

Collapsing PDF and Images would be awesome.  They take too much real-estate 

 

You can view PDFs and images as an attachment (as an icon), by checking the following two options in Tools / Options / Note / Note view options:  "Allow images to be displayed as attachments" for images and "Always show PDF documents as attachments" for PDFs. After checking the second option, the PDFs will be automatically displayed as icons.  In order to collapse an image, right-click on the image and select "View as attachment" from the bottom of the right-click menu. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I would strongly like to vote for a collapsable list feature similar to OmniOutliner's capabilities.  Multi level collapsable lists. Clone what Omni Outliner does in Evernote!

It's a hugely beneficial way to organize thoughts. Gives a way to break project ideas down. Helps organize and break down complicated ideas.

Humans love it.   It's how we think!

Thanks!
Mark.

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 4.46.35 PM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 5/31/2015 at 3:43 PM, LeoTM said:

+1, I love Evernote, but WorkFlowy has this.

+1 for expand/collapse. What about an integration? Embed a Workflowy list into a note?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
12 hours ago, Soy said:

What about an integration? Embed a Workflowy list into a note?

Foe embedding, a note can contain files of any format.  
Use any self contained document that supports outlining; Evernote works well with Office/iWork documents

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
I would like tu suggest a feature to collaps and expand indented text under a TITLE, in order to have information in a single line that could be expanded.
I use evernote as a Daily Diary, but I would like to have informations collapsed for Day (or may be for hour) in order to have a global view of my week at a glance 
 
I try to explain with an example.
 
Actually in my note I have
 
OLD EXPANDED VERSION 
03.04.2019 20.00 Home Cinema with Mary and Joe
                Hanna - Great Prime Series! We spent all night lookin at 6 espisodes on Amazon Prime Video
 
04.04.2019 Evernote Request
                I wrote a note in the evernote community to ask for a way to collapse text in evernote
                Here is the note:
               Collaps Text of a part of a note in a single line
              I would like tu suggest a feature to collaps and expand text under an indented tab and a title in a singol line
              I use evernote as a Daily Diary, but I would like to have informations collapsed for Day (or may be for hour) in order to understand at a glance what to look at it.
 
Tomorrow I Would like to have
 
NEW COLLAPSED VERSION
[+] 03.04.2019 20.00 Home Cinema with Mary and Joe 
[+]  04.04.2019 Evernote Request
 
With the possibility to click on the [+] sign and see the subnote expanded as in the OLD EXPANDED VERSION 
 
 
Could be very usefull to keep track of projects also.
May be there is these feature already?
thanks
Alex

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I moved this discussion to the feature request forum.

The Evernote editor does not currently support outline expand/collapse. 

Work-arounds that I use

  1. Switch to a word processing format and store in the note as an attachment
  2. Use links to separate notes. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Thanks.What do you mean to switch to a word processing format? Using an external editor right? and then attach the file?
Or there is a feature to do this inside Evernote?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
11 minutes ago, originalex said:

Using an external editor right? and then attach the file?

That is what he means and it is a work around.  I, and others, would like to see this feature added as well.  Here is the general request for it and you can upvote by clicking on the arrow in the upper left

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Merging this with original request...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/11/2018 at 7:00 PM, Dgldy said:

+1

The lack of this feature is literally the single driving factor for me to switch to Workflowy

For me it is Outlinely. I would rather stay in Evernote, but at times I need to collapse/expand, for example, speaking notes. There are other ways to achieve this e.g. jump anchors, but this request has 'matured' without response from Evernote for more than five years...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I use Workflowy and Evernote routinely.  Both have their own special strengths and weaknesses.  I also use Lightroom (forinstance) because Evernote just wont let me edit my RAW camera images yet (joke).  Lightroom sucks at note taking.  There's no shame in an app having a special area of expertise,  and lots of reasons why Adobe should try to add Evernote's functions to its app and vice-versa.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 minutes ago, greiggy said:

For me it is Outlinely. I would rather stay in Evernote, but at times I need to collapse/expand, for example, speaking notes. There are other ways to achieve this e.g. jump anchors, but this request has 'matured' without response from Evernote for more than five years...

When presentation mode was added, I thought for sure collapse/expand would be added.  It made sense to me this would logically follow, at least for presentation mode ... I was wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
9 minutes ago, greiggy said:

I would rather stay in Evernote, but at times I need to collapse/expand

Use a different editor, and save your documents in Evernote as attachments

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I would love expandable lines (especially in an outline or bullet setup)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I have begun my transition to Notion. I have a lifetime membership to Evernote, because I've been with them from the beginning. I am leaving because of this issue and all the other feature requests that have gone ignored by Evernote. Evernote has shown itself to be a dysfunctional company, but it's the product that I'm now rejecting.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, David N - Research Analyst said:

Evernote has shown itself to be a dysfunctional company

...By not having the same view as one user about this "essential" feature?  I use Workflowy for outlining and save the results into Evernote notes.  Whatever.  If you feel you need to leave and develop a new account elsewhere,  that's entirely your priviledge.  Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
21 minutes ago, Wolfach said:

what seems to be an acute disregard for communication/dialogue from Evernote on this topic

I have to agree that with (currently) 400 votes,  this seems like one of the best -if not the best- supported feature request out there.  But Evernote has almost never gone in for "coming soon" or "in the pipeline" announcements,  while there have from time to time been "never gonna happen" comments on one or two features from staff. 

Silence may be encouraging!

We don't know (and Evernote won't -usually- say) what their priorities are,  so 2025 might be realistic.  Or it might happen 4 or 5 years sooner than that.  Watch this space.

Of course,  if outlining is central to your workflow,  you should find an alternative;  for the moment (as above) your best other option is to use a third party app and paste the results into Evernote.  

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
56 minutes ago, Wolfach said:

I feel like I'm almost being held hostage (its just not that simple for me to move to a competitor)

I know that we're not "being held hostage".  Evernote makes it extremely easy to export our data; it's a 30 minute process I run as part of my backups.

>>it is one of the most disheartening issues with this software ... I'm likely most infuriated ...

I successfully use the Evernote editor, knowing it's adequate for basic notes

For word processing features, I use dedicated editors.  More productive than being infuriated, disheartened.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hello All!

I've posted some ideas here before. I'm a self-certified super user and am a HUGE proponent to the text collapse idea. I've long since given up on the idea and have moved to my own personal work-around. However, I stumbled upon what could be a great solution if the dev team would be willing to make a few tweaks. Have a look...

https://youtu.be/YEFytunlJZg 

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 10.39.20 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 minutes ago, CraigD said:

However, I stumbled upon what could be a great solution if the dev team would be willing to make a few tweaks. Have a look...

This has been mentioned before and requires directly editing the underlying enml/html code.

I've successfully tested it on my Mac

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 7/2/2019 at 10:50 AM, DTLow said:

This has been mentioned before and requires directly editing the underlying enml/html code.

I've successfully tested it on my Mac

I actually did get it working . As I mention in the video though, once I navigate away from the note, Evernote strips out the <details> tag. https://youtu.be/YEFytunlJZg 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

They already have this ability in the left hand pane allowing the collapse of notebooks, shortcuts and tags. Now if they will only add this into the main editor ... he's hoping it will show up in the new editor.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/28/2019 at 1:49 PM, gazumped said:

Whatever

Why so much hostility and defensiveness? Even the behemoths like MS Word and OneNote can collapse text. If MS thought it was a "necessary" feature to include in their package (let alone Workflowy and Notion among the "newcomers" who have actually been around for years at this point ), it's not such a ridiculous thing to expect from Evernote who directly competes with these services. There is no need to admonish a person whose views have obviously been validated by Evernote's competition and are not limited to a single user in any imaginable way.

In my view, the sad part is that even if Evernote does end up introducing this feature, it's still playing catch up (and not just with a very old user request) but also with feature parity with it's competition.  

At some point the users would want to mold the software into something that works for them; and not mold the way they work and think to fit someone else's vision for the software. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 7/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, RY27 said:

Why so much hostility and defensiveness?

As an hostilty example, you chose "Whatever"
I think a better eaxample is "Evernote has shown itself to be a dysfunctional company"

This is a feature request discussion.  Users can indicate their support using the vote button in the top left corner.
This is how I indicate my support.  I'm also interested in work-arounds
I'm not into "BOOHOO, Evernote is so bad" posts

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As an hostilty example, you chose "Whatever"
I think a better eaxample is "Evernote has shown itself to be a dysfunctional company"

This is a feature request discussion.  Users can indicate their suppot using the vote button in the top left corner.
This is how I indicate my support.  I'm also interested in work-arounds
I'm not into "BOOHOO, Evernote is so bad" posts

 

To clarify, my comment about Evernote being a "dysfunctional company" was not an off-hand remark. It was based on actual tech reporting that you can read. For example:

Evernote lost its CTO, CFO, CPO and HR head in the last month as it eyes another fundraiser

The 3 Stages of Evernote’s Fall

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
9 hours ago, RY27 said:

Why so much hostility and defensiveness?

You read a lot into a one-word clip from a couple of paragraphs where I thought I was disagreeing politely with another post and pointing out that Evernote doesn't actually provide the features you apparently need,  so the realistic options available are:  adapt -or- migrate.

I also pointed out later:

On 7/2/2019 at 2:39 AM, gazumped said:

We don't know (and Evernote won't -usually- say) what their priorities are,  so 2025 might be realistic.  Or it might happen 4 or 5 years sooner than that.  Watch this space

When a feature is missing for whatever reason,  adding it isn't a trivial exercise no matter how minor a tweak may be involved.  Evernote probably plans its schedule a couple of years ahead,  so a development has to be planned,  fitted into the calendar,  executed,  tested and released - a process in itself which takes months if not years.  So requests take a l-o-o-o-n-g time to be fulfilled unless they are already in the pipeline.

Other start-ups do have shinier features - largely because they're climbing on the shoulders of 200M users helping develop Evernote's current platform,  without having more than a few hundred users themselves.  I've no doubt they're growing rapidly,  and adding even more new features as they go.  Whether they survive more than a year or two remains to be seen.  For all its faults Evernote has been around for 10+ years and seems currently to be in a better position than it has been.  Until I absolutely have no choice but to change,  I'm staying here.

That's not blind fanboi-ism - I'm a Virgo (similar to being from Missouri).  It's just pragmatic.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, RY27 said:

Why so much hostility and defensiveness?

There is a very small group of forum members who seem to feel the need to always defend Evernote, and to jump on members whose posts they don't like.  They often come across as hostile whether or not they intend to.  My advice:  just ignore them.  They are not going to change, and you will just be wasting your time trying to respond to their defensive posts.

10 hours ago, David N - Research Analyst said:

To clarify, my comment about Evernote being a "dysfunctional company" was not an off-hand remark. It was based on actual tech reporting that you can read

If by "dysfunctional" you mean "not operating normally or properly", or, in my words, "not functioning well enough to deliver a high quality product", then prior to the arrival of the new CEO Ian Small in Oct 2018, I would have to agree. 

My assessment is not just based on third party reviews, but my own personal experience using Evernote for a decade, and observing the many failed attempts of Evernote management.  IMO, the most obvious, egregious, example of dysfunction is that for years Evernote continued to make new releases with substantial new bugs, many of them very obvious.

There's good news and bad news. 😉

The good news is that there is a new sheriff in town.  The new CEO Ian Small seems to clearly understand the issues, and really knows how to listen to his customers/users.  He also once (years prior be becoming CEO) felt Evernote had major issues, and, in his words, "fired Evernote" -- he stopped using Evernote.  So It seems to me that he feels our pain, and has set about trying to restructure Evernote.  For evidence of this, see the Behind the Scenes Series  with Ian Small.

The bad news is that Mr. Small has said that it is going to take some time to first complete the restructuring, then to begin adding features many users have been asking for.  He has NOT given a specific time frame, but I get the feeling that it could be 2020 before we see any new features.  That's just my opinion.

But, for the first time in many years, I am very hopeful about the future of Evernote.  I have 20K+ Notes and don't have any plans to switch, even though it has some bugs that really annoy me, and there are a few features that I would really like to have.

Finally, to the point of this thread, outlining/text collapse is a feature I would much like to have, as it would make longer Notes much more readable/usable.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

There is a very small group of forum members who seem to feel the need to ...

There are forum members who seem to feel the need to always put down Evernote with derogatory comments, and to jump on members whose posts they don't like.  They often come across as hostile and close-minded.  I recommend they switch to a  product they're happy with.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 7/1/2019 at 7:04 PM, DTLow said:

I know that we're not "being held hostage".  Evernote makes it extremely easy to export our data; it's a 30 minute process I run as part of my backups.

>>it is one of the most disheartening issues with this software ... I'm likely most infuriated ...

I successfully use the Evernote editor, knowing it's adequate for basic notes

For word processing features, I use dedicated editors.  More productive than being infuriated, disheartened.

Hence the reason I used the word *feels*

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 7/5/2019 at 10:49 PM, DTLow said:

I'm not into "BOOHOO, Evernote is so bad"

I agree that it's not necessary helpful. But I'm sure it's also cathartic for people to have a forum to complain and vent their frustration with Evernote (often not undeserved). Frankly, if Evernote we're doing such a bang-up job of keeping up with its users' needs and managing expectations, these conversations would not get as heated. I can't think of a forum for another software platform where people get as nasty and brutal to each other. 

On 7/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, DTLow said:

recommend they switch to a  product they're happy with.

Agree, except that if one has already switched to a different product or tried it, I don't see why that person would not share their experience here. Hopefully, that will save a few other people a few hours or a few dollars. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Collapse-able bullets would be VERY helpful

I use this feature extensively in other platforms.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 minutes ago, Thomas Oatman said:

I have resolved to using the Encryption feature to hide older entries in the note like so:

I bit of a pain, but clever work around.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 minutes ago, Thomas Oatman said:

I have resolved to using the Encryption feature to hide older entries in the note like so:

That works, but I do question the need for a note that contains "older entries"

I use separate dated notes

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I have been testing the Web-Beta system. A feature that I think would be a great addition to the block system would be expandable/ collapsable lists aka toggle lists

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Almost a decade since post #1 and still without this critical feature? Please let us know if you intend to implement collapsing. This feature is huge. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 9/17/2019 at 9:22 PM, badjer.phoenix said:

A feature that I think would be a great addition

Moved to the feature request forum

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Upvoted. My to-do list is a mess. I would very much like to collapse tasks so that their sub-tasks/notes are hidden - then I could also re-order them with ease for the day or week, expanding them as necessary.

Other features are great (drag-and-drop re-ordering for a start) but I can't drag-drop points to any location, as if the line directly above where I'm dropping a point is more indented than the one I'm moving, it will inherit the same indent. Best left alone for now.

Admittedly I've not yet dived into the new beta release which includes one mention of "New to-do lists. Recognize at a glance which to-do list items need your attention." though at first glance it seems to be referring to tighter format options and more highlight-options.

If only Evernote would add collapsing/expanding to lists, it would demo much better to clients who want to organise tasks or projects within. I have 3 screens and still find Evernote desperately needs collapsible lists.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

400+ votes and still counting...  I just use Workflowy for indented stuff.  Maybe one day...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I just use Workflowy for indented stuff

I use a word processing app (Apple Pages); the document is stored in Evernote as an attachment

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use a word processing app (Apple Pages); the document is stored in Evernote as an attachment

Yep,  that sometimes too - with Workflowy though you can save a link to the smallest spur of a long and (AFAIK) almost infinitely deep nested structure,  so as long as you have net access your bullets are available.  Works for me...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
20 hours ago, gazumped said:

Yep,  that sometimes too - with Workflowy though you can save a link to the smallest spur of a long and (AFAIK) almost infinitely deep nested structure,  so as long as you have net access your bullets are available.  Works for me...

Cool. didn't know about that feature in Workflowy, will be handy, thanks!
I ended up using Workflowy as well for indented todo lists and notes, but it's a shame I can't use Evernote for all of my stuff. So much for the "store everything in evernote" ad...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 minutes ago, renato_ch said:

So much for the "store everything in evernote" ad...

"Store Everything in Evernote" works for me
As to the Evernote Editor/format, I find it limited to basic notes

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

+1 would be great for notes e.g. where progress of some work is added weekly. looking for it for a long time....

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

The more info we can easily manage within Evernote, the more info we'll be able to get into Evernote and into the searchable database. Evernote's really missing a trick here.

 

Remember to up-vote by clicking the arrow in the top-left corner of this page :)!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Really hoping that the "grab area" in new common editor (as seen in the beta web version) is the first step in getting collapsable sections.  The grab area shows up to the left of the new checklist feature, as well as bullet lists.... and "grabbing" a parent item also grabs all the child items when moving them around.  Really, really, really hoping that the Evernote devs add the ability to collapse these items.  That would be HUGE for me (and I imagine most of the 400+ voters on this thread).

Also hoping that the new "Semantic Headers" (aka styles) in common editor are a sign that Evernote will introduce some sort of outlining feature.... I guess we need to see the new common editor make its way to all the different versions of the app before they can expand on the common editor to add these features.  Really hoping it comes soon.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

This is THE MOST lacking feature in Evernote presently. To be frank, I'm shocked. Far less adept notes apps have this ability already.


At least the ability to compress images so they aren't so obnoxiously huge when scrolling or trying to find something... Please!


I say this as a recent sign up (premium user). I made the forum account just to post this!!!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 hours ago, Jonnie Doe said:

At least the ability to compress images so they aren't so obnoxiously huge when scrolling or trying to find something... Please!

Hi.  Images in tables don't spread out across the available display...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
18 hours ago, Jonnie Doe said:

This is THE MOST lacking feature in Evernote presently. To be frank, I'm shocked. Far less adept notes apps have this ability already.

Text collapse (Outlining) is a useful word processing feature
Evernote provides a note editor, storing in note format (enml)
Try using a word processing editor - the documents can be stored as a note attachment

>At least the ability to compress images so they aren't so obnoxiously huge when scrolling or trying to find something... Please!

As per @gazumped, If you use a table, the images size is confined to the cell dimensions

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
18 hours ago, Jonnie Doe said:

This is THE MOST lacking feature in Evernote presently. To be frank, I'm shocked. Far less adept notes apps have this ability already.

How can there be 18 most pressing lacking features in Evernote? I thought it was nesting notebooks, or full Boolean searches, or collapsible sections, or in-note links, or... or... Anyways:

18 hours ago, Jonnie Doe said:

At least the ability to compress images so they aren't so obnoxiously huge when scrolling or trying to find something... Please!

I can click on an image in the Evernote for Windows application, and I get a nice resize control that lets me magically shrink an image to a smaller size in the note. Works fine.

You should be aware that you're asking for something different than what the original request asks for. You should, in the future, look for a post that asks for what you want, and add your vote, or if there's no such previous request, make a separate one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 hours ago, jefito said:

How can there be 18 most pressing lacking features in Evernote? I thought it was nesting notebooks, or full Boolean searches, or collapsible sections, or in-note links, or... or...

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you refer to the "18 most pressing lacking features"?

5 hours ago, jefito said:

I can click on an image in the Evernote for Windows application, and I get a nice resize control that lets me magically shrink an image to a smaller size in the note. Works fine.

I've found Evernote to be a very useful tool, but use it almost exclusively on mobile (I have a Macbook which I use for development but don't use it much for personal use). I've found it hard to work with images as note attachments on mobile, and wonder why they couldn't a.) either be collapsible in a type of stack/outline as proposed in this question (which would kill a few birds with one stone), or at bare minimum allow the possibility of displaying images in the same manner as PDF attachments.

5 hours ago, jefito said:

You should be aware that you're asking for something different than what the original request asks for. You should, in the future, look for a post that asks for what you want, and add your vote, or if there's no such previous request, make a separate one.

I'm not. I think the proposal in the original request would address my problems, and satiate the needs of others, so I think it is the best current proposal. And I do not see why it can't be done from a programmatic viewpoint.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

Try using a word processing editor - the documents can be stored as a note attachment

I appreciate the suggestion, but this is not very helpful. I switched to Evernote to escape the nightmare of syncing .rtf and .md files to a Nextcloud server. This was doable, but subpar in terms of organization (and attachments!!!). Evernote bases much of its allure on the promise of its storage of attachments, emphasized by the release of the new "Scannable" app. I believe basic organizational methods for image storage and/or document organization are not an outlandish request.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Images in tables don't spread out across the available display...

Thank you... An imperfect solution, but better than nothing!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 hours ago, Jonnie Doe said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you refer to the "18 most pressing lacking features"?

A lot of people come into these forums, and often whatever they're requesting is somehow the most important feature that Evernote should implement -- I gave an arbitrary number of 18. But there can can only be at most one "most pressing issue" (and that's obviously the most recent issue I requested). Perhaps I should have added the /s sarcasm tag?

17 hours ago, Jonnie Doe said:

I've found Evernote to be a very useful tool, but use it almost exclusively on mobile (I have a Macbook which I use for development but don't use it much for personal use).

That's why it's usually helpful to specify which Evernote application(s) you're using when you post, unless you know it's a global issue/feature, and why I try to be careful about specifying which of the several Evernote application(s) a particular feature works or doesn't work in.

17 hours ago, Jonnie Doe said:

I'm not. I think the proposal in the original request would address my problems, and satiate the needs of others, so I think it is the best current proposal. And I do not see why it can't be done from a programmatic viewpoint.

It's far from clear to me that an image resizing tool is a fix-all for a general collapsible outlining capability (the original request), or even much related to it. It's generally better to keep separate requests separate, but so that people with the same requests can find and support particular proposed features and Evernote can know what's being proposed and how many people want it. For example, I think that having image resize on all platforms is worthy, but if I upvote the topic, what am I really voting for? Just for reference, see #8 from the forum guidelines (https://discussion.evernote.com/guidelines/). Just a recommendation, though.

Edit: I see now that I misunderstood your initial post's comment about in-note image resizing to be what you were referring to as a most wanted feature, when instead, you were actually referring to the original request for the topic. The bit about keeping separate requests in separate topics  still stands, but doesn't really apply in this case. In any case: my mistake,and my apologies for getting your comments wrong. Carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, jefito said:It's far from clear to me that an image resizing tool is a fix-all for a general collapsible outlining capability (the original request), or even much related to it. It's generally better to keep separate requests separate, but so that people with the same requests can find and support particular proposed features and Evernote can know what's being proposed and how many people want it. For example, I think that having image resize on all platforms is worthy, but if I upvote the topic, what am I really voting for? Just for reference, see #8 from the forum guidelines (https://discussion.evernote.com/guidelines/). Just a recommendation, though.

I believe the idea would be placing images inside of a collapsible area of the outline. There are many things collapsible sections could be used for....

Hopefully this is part of the planned enhancements after the common editor rolls out.  Has anyone seen any ETA on when the beta version in the web app will make it to other versions?  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
28 minutes ago, aukirk said:

I believe the idea would be placing images inside of a collapsible area of the outline.

We currently have inline/attachment view options for pdfs and Office/iWork Documents    
It would be great if this was available for images

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, aukirk said:

I believe the idea would be placing images inside of a collapsible area of the outline. There are many things collapsible sections could be used for...

OK, I see that the post I replied to was initially referring to was about the ability to have outlining -- which was topical, but then the next sentence referred to the ability to resize an image,. which is a different facility altogether. My bad that I conflated them.

1 hour ago, aukirk said:

Hopefully this is part of the planned enhancements after the common editor rolls out.  Has anyone seen any ETA on when the beta version in the web app will make it to other versions?  

ETAs have not been provided for roll-out of any features, nor indeed whether collapsible outlines would be part of the planned roll-out at all.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 hours ago, jefito said:

Edit: I see now that I misunderstood your initial post's comment about in-note image resizing to be what you were referring to as a most wanted feature, when instead, you were actually referring to the original request for the topic. The bit about keeping separate requests in separate topics  still stands, but doesn't really apply in this case. In any case: my mistake,and my apologies for getting your comments wrong. Carry on.

My apologies in return. English is not my mother tongue and in my home language it is possible to say "at least" as a sort of inclusive request... For example you could say - "couldn't you please take care of the baby, at least feed her?" as an expression. This sentence would mean the feeding is an expected part of taking care of the baby. Hopefully that is understandable.

5 hours ago, aukirk said:

I believe the idea would be placing images inside of a collapsible area of the outline. There are many things collapsible sections could be used for....

Thank you for articulating what I meant in a better way! Much appreciated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...