Toggle list

ajschmidt
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

Being not immediately simple doesn't mean it can't be done.

Think of how useful this feature becomes when using Evernote's presentation mode: it clearly helps to make information easier to digest when looking at the main headlines, whereas you could focus only on the collapsed details in case the appropriate audience needs to know. Among the huge benefits of this functionality is time saving as you will not need to rework the information every time your audience changes, as is usually required in the case of standard document and presentation apps such as text editors, PowerPoint and Keynote. Collapsable bullet points bring the best of both worlds of bullet lists, mind maps and/or OPML applications to the fore.

For the sake of getting a better understanding of how well this concept works and to get a grasp of its usefulness, please, take a look at http://www.workflowy.com or their instructional videos.

Evernote coding team, I have every faith in your ability to bring this about and I am genuinely grateful for it. Keep up that excellent work you have been doing and feel proud of what you have achieved

• Like 9

This would be fantastic!! When I'm studying a certain topic, I like to have one note for that topic and use the bulleted lists to keep it organized. It would be amazing if you could collapse bulleted items, even if it were just the top level bullets, although I would imaging if you could do the top level, it wouldn't require much additional logic to get the nested bullets to collapse as well.

• Like 2

Hey,

I would like to make a feature request for evernote to implement a text collapse, as seen in coding software such as Dreamweaver.

The idea is to make it a little bit easier to organise long lists.

Simply mark the desired text, collapse it and then you're able to toggle on and off and eventually remove the collapse when you don't need it anymore.

Here's a picture I found: 

http://www.creativepro.com/files/story_images/20050926_expand.jpg

It's a really simple feature, but it would make my Evernote life easier!

Philip A

Yes, I have been waiting for this feature for a while...it would be really really helpful! 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I quit holding my breath with Evernote a long time ago.  I have also learned that it is very risky to predict what they might, or might not do next.   ;)  But I am still hoping that Evernote will someday soon provide enhanced editing features.  I'm NOT asking for a full-featured editor like MS Word, just more basics that we see in a lot of other HTML editors.

Evernote CEO Phil Libin did say about a month or so ago that Evernote provides a "polished" writing experience.

Who knows what he means by "polished", but I haven't found anyone yet that believes that.

Now, I'm not sure whether that is good news or bad news.  If he really believes it is polished, maybe he thinks what we have is good enough.  Or maybe he was talking future tense, and wants to make it polished.  

Who knows???

. . . i will go out on a limb and say that this will probably not be implemented this decade, if ever. they just entirely rewrote the editor for mac without this feature, and the changes have yet to percolate out to the other platforms (as i understand it), so i wouldn't be holding my breath. it's a cool feature to have, of course, but i think it might be best to consider the editor as a fairly basic tool.

• Like 5

Collapsible list items are one thing I miss from Omnioutliner. On many topics -- from business strategy to research -- I frequently have the need to embed details into my note. Collapsible list items would allow me to do this while retaining the ability to collapse the details to see the big picture.

• Like 4

Perhaps because the most popular comment at the very beginning of the request includes "collapsible sections" and that likely influences people.. it is why I voted that up.  I don't spend lots of time here, and google sent me to that page, I agreed and voted it up in part because of the "collapsible sections" comment by one of the other "Gurus".  So, perhaps the Evernote team are not getting an accurate measure of the interest regarding this collapse feature... because some are voting for it on that thread, as much as they are bookmarks, rather than this thread.

I understand it isn't part of the original request, but obviously now it is prominent, and part of what people are noticing... at least it was for me and I might not be the only one. I have always been interested in both features. At first glance that thread seemed to reinforce my desire for both features.  I don't spend time here browsing through everything and making sure there isn't crossover.. maybe some moderators should do that.

Inline Tags _ Create Anchor Points in Notes - Evernote Feature Requests - Everno-2018-01-24 11_54.png

• Like 2

+1 as well!!!

I've been an Evernote user for over 9 years. I have over 6,400 notes, and use it heavily, on almost EVERY platform (windows, mac, android, iOS).  I use this tool constantly, and love it, but a basic tool like outlines for effective notes should be standard. Poor outline support has ALWAYS been frustrating, and I don't buy the answer many of the Gurus here have about going to an external tool. (Feels like a bit of Guru snobbery).  

As it still is today, after complaining many times for years, outlines are still a mess. They restart numbering arbitrarily, and often won't cleanly copy/paste from other tools (including, or at-least, Word). After this many years, Evernote shouldn't have these bugs, and it really should include standards like  I.1.A.a.i type indentation, ability to fix or restart numbering on a line, line movement, etc.

Expand/Collapse capabilities would be icing on the cake - absolutely awesome! But fundamental capabilities also must be addressed.

I have upvoted this thread, and the other related one in the enhancements section. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
It's a really simple feature...

..Not necessarily if you have to take apart an existing product to shoehorn the code in somewhere...  but it would be kinda nice.  Wikitext also has this option to show / hide lists.  I miss Wikis.

• Like 1

+1, though I'd much rather see this functionality implemented as true electronic outlining (expand/collapse any item to show/hide its children) in the Note body.

Be aware that one of Evernote strengths — that it works as seamlessly as possible on multiple operating systems — means that almost nothing is simple to implement.  "Get dressed" may seem simple.  It gets less simple when spoken to children.  Now imagine a room full of people of all ages from all over the world, each speaking a different language.  That's the task Evernote has undertaken.

• Like 6

Yes, they have undertaken a huge task and I know that simple is a relative term.

They are rolling out all the time with new features, so I guess they are more than able to handle it  :)

And they have a revenue stream any business would envy   ;) .  Afaict.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

This is fine. Evernote staffers will read it and put it on the list; I'm pretty sure that it's there already, as this has been requested before. When/whether they'll actually implement it is up to them, though.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Feature Request: I dont know where to submit feaure requests, so i sent it through here. Evernote's notetaking capabilitites are amazing and versatile. Within the text note, users can create outlines with the bullet feature. I would like to see a new feature where after users create bullets, indented bullets, and sub-bullets, users are able to collapse and expand the indented bullets in order to create a more simplified view of the their created outline document.

requests are always welcome, of course, but i will go out on a limb and say that this will probably not be implemented this decade, if ever. they just entirely rewrote the editor for mac without this feature, and the changes have yet to percolate out to the other platforms (as i understand it), so i wouldn't be holding my breath. it's a cool feature to have, of course, but i think it might be best to consider the editor as a fairly basic tool.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hey, it's great getting out in front and getting all the cool stuff, until you're lying in the mud with arrows in your back. I'm ok with waiting a bit for the common editor.  :)

• Like 1

Hey,

I would like to make a feature request for evernote to implement a text collapse, as seen in coding software such as Dreamweaver.

The idea is to make it a little bit easier to organise long lists.

Simply mark the desired text, collapse it and then you're able to toggle on and off and eventually remove the collapse when you don't need it anymore.

Here's a picture I found: 

http://www.creativepro.com/files/story_images/20050926_expand.jpg

It's a really simple feature, but it would make my Evernote life easier!

Philip A

Is there a status on this?

Does Evernote use uservoice? Or another method of indicating to users what features are being considered or worked on?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote don't (usually) comment publicly on anything that may or may not be in development,  nor do they forecast release dates.  The topic has been raised,  so it will have been noted by Evernote.  When or whether it will be released at some stage is entirely up to them...

Hi Jay and Dave,

As Gazumped pointed out a few posts back, there's no way to tell when or IF such a feature will ever be implemented by Evernote. Folks have been asking for a collapsible outlining ability for years now and there's still no indication that it's under consideration for future releases.

In fact, over the last year their company focus seems to be gearered more than ever towards the corparate world. If you look at the Evernote.com website, you'll notice the "Remember Everything" as their tagline has been dropped in favour of promoting EN Accounts as a Virtual Workstation, with an emphasis on collaboration through use of Chat Feature options.

That's not to say they've deprecated the app's notetaking ability or completely dropped the notion of using EN as a virtual filing cabinet for all your digital data. They've de-emphasised filing cabinet metaphor, but it still functions as such.

My best suggestion in both your cases is to take a look at WorkFlowy, a free, online outliner app that has the ability to collapse and expand text and lists. They've been around for years and come highly recommended by other users on this forum. WorkFlowly also intergrates nicely with Evernote. Below is a the link to their sign-up page:

https://workflowy.com/

This below is one of many user made videos available on YouTube, showing some of the cool things you can do with WorkFlowy.

WorkFlowy: How to Stay Productive and Get More Done, by Eric Heavilin:

http://youtu.be/Oo8grkujGd8

Hope this helps!

Collapsible list items are one thing I miss from Omnioutliner. On many topics -- from business strategy to research -- I frequently have the need to embed details into my note. Collapsible list items would allow me to do this while retaining the ability to collapse the details to see the big picture.

+1 from me, too. I use a packing list for travel, and have several different sections based on the type of trip. I'd like to collapse the types that aren't currently relevant.

Thanks for considering.

Jay

• Like 2

I would so so so love this feature.  I've been a longtime paid Evernote user and it's the main reason I have to use other note apps. Expanding/collapsing text/outlines is SUCH a more sane way to handle clutter and focus attention.  Websites this use this feature rock (i.e. Here's our 5 options --simple choice --you click one and get expanded paragraph) and I LOVE using it in Cloud Outliner (though just checked out the above recommended Workflowy...looks very cool. Offline though?)

Thanks!

-Leif

• Like 1

+1 on this request! For my power information user friends, this is the single biggest feature issue with Evernote as a primary workspace for people who manage information. Workflowy's model just works better for many areas... I like Evernote's outlining functionality, but adding collapse/expand would be a huge improvement for me. I'm a deeply committed Evernote user (paying, have the Fuji scanner, about 4k notes, I develop using the API, etc.) and yet I end up using Workflowy for many areas of research!

• Like 1

Collapsing bullets is a big reason why I still use Onenote for much of my "in depth" notes and I use Evernote for snippets of information. For code and configs, I use notepad++ since they also allow collapsing (known as folding in Notepad++).

Evernote, please implement collapsing bullets or folding or whatever name you would like to use to describe it. Thank you.

• Like 1

Huge +1 on this idea. I use Evernote Web frequently to take class notes or notes from textbooks and the resulting outlines can get huge and nearly unmanageable. Being able to collapse and expand list outlines would be an immense and welcome improvement. 

While I maintain that shorter notes and tags are the way to go (see my post above) I made a serendipitous discovery today. Alternote is a Chrome plugin which gives additional editing features for Evernote.  I use it mainly to make the cells of tables different colours. I discovered today that it has a fairly primitive "collapse child items" feature. It's by no means a complete solution but might be worth playing with.

ScreenShot249 copy.jpg

• Level 5*

Workflowy is my list creator and collapser of choice,  and Table of Contents notes come a close second.  For many reasons it's better to have shorter notes than very long ones within Evernote,  and lots of shorter notes can form the basis for bigger paragraphs,  chapters and sections of a much longer document.  Moving the links around in a ToC note allows you to rearrange the content order without messing with the text itself.  Just sayin'

• Like 1

Guys,

I too would really like this feature. Although it is not available explicitly, it looks like there is a workaround using the encryption feature.  When there is long section of text in my note that i would like to collapse, i select the text then choose "Encrypt selected text".  To view in the future just double click enter your encryption password to expand

• Like 2

Definitely needs to be inside Evernote notes. I would mimic the same behavior of the best tool available.

Because Evernote should let me collapse a list into it's top Item, making it bold or with an icon to click.

My notes get toooo long and sometimes when editing from in my phone I get conflicts, I hate that.

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

An Evernote Note can contain content of any format.
Check out word processing software like MS Word.

Thanks I'm aware of that. I add Google Docs, Word Docs, PSD files, marked-up PDFs, you name it. Like I mentioned, I've been using this product for years and have used it to the fullest of it's potential. Nevertheless, a text collapse feature, like what is now standard UI on the web would be a wonderful addition to an already wonderful product. It's important enough to me that I took the time to honestly contribute. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, CraigD said:

Dear Evernote Dev Team,

I am an long-time Evernote Premium user, fan and advocate. It is part of my daily workflow, for hours per day I might add. You guys have done a wonderful job with this product and my hat goes off to you... However, this feature would be HUGE to me, and apparently many others. PLEASE consider adding this feature sooner than later. As mentioned, I am loyal but I have begun to research alternatives that would offer this feature. I really don't want to switch though. just being honest :) You guys rock!!!

Best Regards, Craig

CollapsableTextFeature.gif.cd6d39bef755a4e56691bb39cbb1a88f.gif

It's clearly a must-have feature (already available in Onenote by the way). I'd "Plus" it twice if I could.

• Like 1

Moderators - please tag this thread with "feature request"   - thanks

+1 as well!!!

Many, many years of frustration that this hasn't been addressed yet. My thoughts from another related post...

I've been an Evernote user for over 9 years. I have over 6,400 notes, and use it heavily, on almost EVERY platform (windows, mac, android, iOS).  I use this tool constantly, and love it, but a basic tool like outlines for effective notes should be standard. Poor outline support has ALWAYS been frustrating, and I don't buy the answer many of the Gurus here have about going to an external tool. (Feels like a bit of Guru snobbery).  

As it still is today, after complaining many times for years, outlines are still a mess. They restart numbering arbitrarily, and often won't cleanly copy/paste from other tools (including, or at-least, Word). After this many years, Evernote shouldn't have these bugs, and it really should include standards like  I.1.A.a.i type indentation, ability to fix or restart numbering on a line, line movement, etc.

Expand/Collapse capabilities would be icing on the cake - absolutely awesome! But fundamental capabilities also must be addressed.

I have to stop returning to this specific 'Text Collapse [Outlining]' string.  I check back in every 6 months or so; and it is one of the most disheartening issues with this software.  Because of how much I rely on evernote... I feel like I'm almost being held hostage (its just not that simple for me to move to a competitor); and to be honest, I'm likely most infuriated by what seems to be an acute disregard for communication/dialogue from Evernote on this topic.  Maybe we'll see this feature addressed by 2025. 

+1000000 Yes please. 

Collapsable boxes would be an awesome addition especially for code blocks! i really need this!

I often put code blocks into tables with a code column and a notes column I want to be able to collapse the code block so that it doesn't take up so much space! but can still read it if i want. I actually want 3 collapse options. Want a 3 way button that gives these options. - + = top left of the code block

1. First line only

2. fully open.

3. first few last few (number of rows dependent on box size

Also you seem to have broken the functionality to add code blocks to tables!!! i have to copy and paste them in these days. The menu button has stopped working in tables. (under windows). 

I recon lots of developers would like this functionality!

Codesnippets.png

Hi.   I Too think Outlining in any of various ways would be very helpful.    For instance including examples of code samples under an item... these clutter the overall space, but placed in a collapsible frame/box cleans it up nicely until you care to look at the extra details.

Personally, I journal a lot in Evernote...  in Windows, on the web, on iPhone, etc.   These 'notes' obviously get very large...  and thus difficult to get to the end of the note on iPhone.

I have resolved to using the Encryption feature to hide older entries in the note like so:

image.thumb.png.4df072c22ba78a610a505eee7bd2c936.png

Obviously has limitations in some situations...  but great for me:

Yes.  I use the multi-note pattern for other purposes.  But I have almost 9000 notes already in only 7 years.   So in some cases, I feel better with consolidated access.     When I have told it to remember my password (until exit EN), then I can just double click on a 'section' to easily open.....  inline....      Then, I can search the entire note easily (opened portions anyways) ... and not get bogged down with the other 9000 notes.   Plus, since it is a Journal, I like having the text Encrypted anyway  😄 

• Like 1

If EN didn't bake a plugin feature into their new product they are done.

This could have been easily solved if EN could be extended like so many other software tools can.

I'm about ready to move to another tool. Nine years and counting to deliver a feature that would be INCREDIBLY useful to people, seriously?!

• Like 1

I registered here just to make a comment - same one as the other thread but this seems to be the main one, so here it goes again. I've been on Evernote Premium since 2015 and taken thousands of notes. It is really mind boggling how this has not yet been implemented as it seems to be such an easy to do and integral feature. Ability to collapse large bodies of text or even files would complete Evernote for me. 

This feature alone made me shift some of my productivity efforts to Notion and ClickUp more recently and I keep looking for alternatives just because it's so frustrating to scroll through massive amounts of text/tables/files to see the main sections of the note. ClickUp does this decently well and Notion is also a good contender. I still prefer Evernote as my main place for notes and many other things just mostly due to habit I guess. How hard is it to add this? Seen the thread since 2011 with tons of upvotes. Honestly, makes me think Evernote team just ignores their users wishes which is sad to see when apps like ClickUp add tens of updates weekly based off user feedback. 

• Like 2

This is a must have Team - Notion, Coda, Clickup, Fibery - all allow this with minimal charge now and note taking is not possible with it

Long notes are messy, difficult to search and sort - this simple function (and I am a soft dev so yes, it's simple) allows high level overview then drill in with the simple function of a toggle or expand collapse

Make it or i'm out, great product don't want to leave, but make or break - bidirectional links would be also great and should have that in this new movement towards 2nd brain and linking notes, but toggle?! You should have done this years ago

image.png.e6c382bba7678c80cd6aa71aa83d16f8.png

Best

• Like 2

Greetings!

The main constrain right now for me now in Evernote that it doesn't have collaps\expand for lists. For big notes I have to split them into several, which is not convenient - multiplies the number of similar notes.

Hope this feature will be added ASAP. 

Regards,
Chingis

I finally committed to using Evernote, and have used many other wiki solutions in the past.

Collapsable sections is assumed for mature products that target personal productivty.

So far I 'like' evernote, but non collapsible sections is truly crippling and limiting the utility and promise of evernote.

This feature is really a basic ask, and differentiates those truly useful tools from those that are struggling to coming into the current decade.

I mean really? sooooo disappointed at the lack of this really basic feature.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2018 at 10:32 AM, CraigD said:

Dear Evernote Dev Team,

I am an long-time Evernote Premium user, fan and advocate. It is part of my daily workflow, for hours per day I might add. You guys have done a wonderful job with this product and my hat goes off to you... However, this feature would be HUGE to me, and apparently many others. PLEASE consider adding this feature sooner than later. As mentioned, I am loyal but I have begun to research alternatives that would offer this feature. I really don't want to switch though. just being honest :) You guys rock!!!

Best Regards, Craig

CollapsableTextFeature.gif.cd6d39bef755a4e56691bb39cbb1a88f.gif

Hey Evernote Team,

It's been a while since we've requested this with no response. I've moved to WorkFlowy since this feature is critical to me (I'm kinda ADHD). Evernote served me very well for many years so thanks!

Best,
Craig

• Level 5*

It is not clear how a new feature gets approved inside of Evernote.

It seems unpredictable.

I have watched feature requests like "Note Links" be requested for several years by many users, all the while the usual reasons for NOT implementing the feature were repeatedly given by Evernote and some of the evangelists.

Then one day, boom! An EN Blog was published releasing Note Links. The marketing made it sound like Evernote had just discovered/implemented one of key features of all time. :-)

So while no one should count on a new feature request, it never hurts, IMO, for users to keep on making the request for it.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, DTLow said:

I do question the need for a note that contains "older entries"

An example would be a weekly status meeting where new dated entries are added each week.  After the meeting this complete status, with prior history, is then emailed to a distribution.  Having this in one note makes this process much easier.  I've thought about using note links but that becomes unmanageable.

Hi, this really simple and good feature. It is already done in notion.so and one of the most often used and convenient.

Look at the screenshotes - there are 2 "toggles" collapsed and expanded. Much more convenient and handy that using several notes.

I would love to have this feature in Evernote (I use notion.so as a task, lists, goals and project tracker, and evernote as an "general infomation" database)

c41a66c0a5[1].jpg

629ebe01ff[1].jpg

Hi , here is an example how to impelement is (notion.so)
There is and element called "toggle" (next to the element "checkbox"; "> " at the start of the line is replaced with "toggle", same as "[] " is replaced by checkbox).

Here the screenshots showing 2 "toggles" expanded and collapsed. And there are a hotkeys to collapse/expand all "toggles" within a note (also it can be douled as the panel buttons if needed).

Quite easy, handy and convenient. Would love to see it in Evernote. As to me, it should be a standard feature in all "non-plain text" editors.

c41a66c0a5[1].jpg

629ebe01ff[1].jpg

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ivanhoe115 said:

I would love to have this feature in Evernote

Hi.  Please don't post the same comment in multiple threads.  And if you favour collapsing text this thread has 400+ votes and is probably a better place to add your support.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Please don't post the same comment in multiple threads.  And if you favour collapsing text this thread has 400+ votes and is probably a better place to add your support.

Sorry, first I posted here and than noticed 400+ votes post. That's why I posted twice. Next time will check first.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to add my "me too" to this thread. I was really very surprised to find that once I thought about using this feature, that it wasn't present! This is something that - for instance - Lotus Notes had back in the mid-to-late 1990s. (Never thought I'd miss a feature from Lotus Notes!) I appreciate that it's not likely an easy feature to add (no software development is easy) but it would be a fantastic way to improve the workflow of some of the projects with which I'm using Evernote. It's especially important for shared/business where multiple people might be editing things in a big note. I've seen the emails about how things are improving with EN and I look forward to that continuing and in such a fashion that it includes this collapsible sections!

So when i make notes but want to have a quick glance , highlights aren't enough , also sometimes you want extra points but not have lengthy notes all the time , so to compress some additional points in a note

Add a right click /toolbar feature , that makes a read more button replacing the selected text  wherever you feel extra points need to be hidden , that can be clicked to expand the points in there

this is a humble request to please think about it as it's a legit gift to users who make long notes like in a school scenario

Great request.  It's really an informal form of the 'Text collapse / outlining' feature that was first requested in 2011, and has massive support. 

Maybe this would be easier to implement, as a first step towards the full structured outlining that we need so badly?

Come on Evernote - help us see the wood for the trees!

@Evernote team... how hard can it be???
there is a simple html tag that does this automatically - the details tag

<details> anything here is hidden </details>
vs
<details open> now this will be visible </details>

1402990863_Screenshot2020-06-24at10_09_55.jpg.db9f9ae415289c2dfd758200ab989e5e.jpg

vs
1931007856_Screenshot2020-06-24at10_10_10.jpg.b5e2a858f77c3e2eb082e6d02dd1d3fa.jpg

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/details

this is what Notion uses guys..
add it to the Evernote editor please
If you stop innovating and listening to the users you will loose customers

if you don't want to implement it, please open source some parts so that users can add stupid plugins like these - crowdsource your customer base!

This is a feature I've wanted for years, and one of the main things I missed when I switched from being a OneNote user (10+ years) to an Evernote user (about 10 years now).

While I'd accept it being inserted like a code block as suggested, I would prefer to see this implemented a bit more naturally as it is in OneNote. Make it so that if you double-click on a bullet, all of the subsection bullets and text indented under that will bullet disappear.  There then needs to be an indicator that there is something hidden, but double-clicking on it again, will unhide that text. 

I found this really helpful when I had longer notes with specific sections such as a list of tasks that each had step-by-step directions for something. I could keep the directions collapsed/hidden to not clutter the note but I could still easily see an overview of everything in a note. I tried (and have somewhat) reproduced this in Evernote by using multiple notes, but that is often unnecessary, extra work. Here's a visual of what I described:

collapse bullets example.gif

• Like 2

plus one to get Evernote to create the collapsing outlines feature.  really need it to navigate notes on a project, quickly go to the part of the project I am in and get the details ONLY on the section I want.  I had to start using Microsoft OneNote to get this feature.  Would really like Evernote to handle all the notes I take.  I would prefer to use Evernote over Microsoft OneNote if only it had the collapsible outline feature!

I as well would like to get this feature.

But these topics with requests don't work. They don't want to listen to their user, even premium ones. They just don't give a ***** what users need and want. And I'd like you all remember a topic about adding a dark mode/dark theme https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/45681-dark-themedark-mode/ where users had been begging them for 5 ***** years to implement it. It started in 2013 and they only announced it in 2018, 5 years, 5 ***** years. And it happened not because of the users but because it had been a trend in app development to include a dark mode or a theme.

I suggested this some versions ago. I like to take long notices to various topics. It would be very helpful, if there were a expand/collapse feature to have sections in the document, which could be easily expanded or collapsed. Can't be that complicated but would help a lot. Even more, if it would be hierarchic, like an Outliner. Please consider to maker EN perfect.

For Expand/Collapse [Outlining] we have a number of "competing" proposals for how to best handle... I WANT ALL OF THEM:

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Without the header levels now introduced in the  ver-10-releases it would have no chance to work. You need the headers to find the starting lines if each paragraph. I hope when the rel-10-mess is eventually sorted out, outlining will be added by a „header only“ view of a note.

+1 for "outlining by headers" with some sort of index in the "Note Info"... presumably this would include ability to link to these header/outline items directly from the internal links, but I want to stay on topic here

15 hours ago, Drexler Mathias said:

I see your point but would prefer a separate "insert section function", because sections and headlines is not the same. I might have a document with two main sections from different dates / topic streams and still need differenct headlines inside.

+1 for "insert collapsable section" to add a block that is created similarly to a code block, allowing them to be collapsed into just a preview. If these sections could be given a "title", then they could be incorporated into an Outline based on the header levels described above.

On 9/20/2020 at 3:53 AM, Bill C said:

While I'd accept it being inserted like a code block as suggested, I would prefer to see this implemented a bit more naturally as it is in OneNote. Make it so that if you double-click on a bullet, all of the subsection bullets and text indented under that will bullet disappear.  There then needs to be an indicator that there is something hidden, but double-clicking on it again, will unhide that text. 

+1 for "collapsable bullet lists" allowing any bullet list (or checklist) item to be easily collapsable and expandable as described by Bill C.  I don't know that this is really relevant to the outlining portion of this thread... but I want this too!

As much as everyone is complaining that the new Evernote 10 apps were "not ready" or "rushed".... personally I am glad they are forging ahead with a totally usable app that may be missing certain features, as I assume there are some big things like this that they couldn't introduce until all versions of Evernote 10 are out.  In a recent video, Ian Smalls indicated that they had several big releases waiting on these releases to come over the next 3 to 6 months.  So I am eager with anticipation!

On 2/20/2019 at 7:42 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to use text collapse/outlining have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for the ability to use text collapse/outlining here!

I can not believe there is still no solution for this simple idea! 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jeff A Bailey said:

Nine years and counting to deliver a feature that would be INCREDIBLY useful to people, seriously?!

As I mentioned - they weren't capable of doing this for everyone until a month ago,  and there's more than enough of the old apps still missing from v10 that most of us (I'm guessing here) would like Evernote to finish updating the old stuff before they add too many new ideas. 

Plus if you managed for the past 9 years,  another year shouldn't hurt too much! 

And for the record I use Workflowy for outline lists which can be embedded into any note like this: https://workflowy.com/s/example-stub/7eEN3KzuV67vG1qg

Just wanted to push this Feature request. This is the single most important feature for me in a note taking app. This is the reason why I moved on to Roam. I am surprised that it wasn't implemented with the redesign in v10

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*

And I have a fairly big database in Workflowy (no need for any setup,  just sign up or log in and start typing).  No shame in using another app in addition to Evernote. 

With Workflowy I can jump directly to the node I need through a link like this one - https://workflowy.com/s/example-stub/7eEN3KzuV67vG1qg - (except with my link I can add to or edit the content immediately).  I also link back to Evernote notes from there.

- That's the smallest of 50 or so nodes,  by the way,  some of them going down a long way to 10 or more sub levels.

I don't care whether Evernote add some sort of cut down collapse option to their app - with the extra menus, keyboard shortcuts and additional learning curve that will entail;  I already have a workflow around WF - I won't be using anything else just because it's there!

• Like 1

I can't believe this question was asked 10 years ago

This would be an incredible feature to add - and in fairness, it's common place in emerging and existing note-taking facilities (Notion, Roam, Obsidian et al).  Please try this with high priority - I noticed that highlight colours has been implemented, please make this top priority as a general feature request!

• Like 3

Hello all,

I'm still really trying to hang in there with Evernote but have found an alternative with Nimbus Note who has listened to our request for collapsable outlines. Please get this done guys. I really do want to stay.

Best,

Craig

Collapse.gif

• Like 4

Hey devs, I've been seeing a lot of promising updates very recently in Evernote and makes me very hopeful that this collapsible text feature can be added. I know you guys must be very busy and just wanna say please don't overlook this feature. Its 2021 now and I'm sure you guys can pull off something to get this working. I really appreciate the hard work and really love this app. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.... ;)

+1 upvote. Evernote,  this is a major feature that I'd love to see added.. Notion has it and it is one of those features special to Notion. It can be used in multiple ways.. I am a student, and would like to use it for active recall, see a question then toggle / open up answers.. going even further, like notion, allow sub toggles, and even further, allow even tables to be togglable! I would absolutely love this, my tables are large and being able to put multiple tables in a note w/o them taking a ton of space & long time to scroll would be awesome. Top feature - don't wait long. 

Just want to add my voice to this thread. Since Evernote is having a really shallow folder structure (which I love and hate, depending on what I am doing), folding text would help alleviate the need for more structure and enable oversight in large documents. Please add this feature.

• Like 1

I had tried that and while internally, that works, sharing notes in markdown via a web portal with classmates is much easier as they do not need to worry about a third party application.  We have used Word via 365 and basic file folder structure to support that, but as I am sure you understand, that methodology gets messy.  We have also used Anki, but again, it ends up being very time consuming.  The name is the game is to minimize the need for multiple applications here.  Toggle lists play a critical role in the active recall process for students.  If one application can be used, it saves a significant amount of time.  Thanks again for your responses! 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, markjl said:

The roadmap should be stability and performance first, then functionality to avoid losing users,

You're probably spot on - but how long do you think it takes to work towards the first part of that,  and what functionality should they prioritise to please us users?  Any big company has a plan for (at least) the next 12 months,  and an outline for more than that.  Outlining might be on there somewhere,  but the company is unlikely to make any comment about it - that's commercially sensitive information too...

• Level 5

EN has switched to the agile development method.

This means the first release has only core functions (check), is then beefed up by frequent small releases (check), backed up by fast corrective cycles if something goes wrong (check).

You must not like it, but this will probably go on for the time to come.

GoodNotes 5 switched to that method 2 years earlier than EN did, and they are still on a monthly cycle. Great app today, BTW.