iPad 1 and Evernote

Hi, I'm a college prof and inherited an iPad 1 from my daughter. Evernote was working fine and synching with my phone and PC. To be able to download apps, I had to restore the iPad and upgrade the iOS, but now I am unable to download Evernote. Is there an older version of Evernote that I can download? I'd love to use it as it synchs so well.

Thank you.

• Level 5*

Hi, I'm a college prof and inherited an iPad 1 from my daughter. Evernote was working fine and synching with my phone and PC. To be able to download apps, I had to restore the iPad and upgrade the iOS, but now I am unable to download Evernote. Is there an older version of Evernote that I can download? I'd love to use it as it synchs so well.

Thank you.

Hi. I think it usually works the other way -- parents pass on their gadgets to kids!

In this case, you are in a tough position. The iPad 1 is a relic (neither supported by Apple nor Evernote) and it simply cannot run many of the apps on the market, including Evernote. I say this as someone who had an iPad 1 and enjoyed it a lot, but gave it up as the OS and hardware became incompatible with the stuff I wanted to do.

As far as I know, you cannot obtain a "legal" copy of Evernote for your iPad (I don't think Evernote offers older versions of its app that are compatible with your OS, which is probably iOS 5). However, I imagine you could jailbreak the iPad and get it (maybe). It is also possible that someone has figured out a way to sideload it. 

My recommendation would be to buy an iPad Air (the most recent iPad). The experience is markedly better and it can be used quite effectively in a college classroom (I am a professor as well). The older the tech is (in my experience) the less useful it becomes, except as a hobby.

• Level 5*

Thank you.

My recommendation would be to buy an iPad Air (the most recent iPad). The experience is markedly better and it can be used quite effectively in a college classroom (I am a professor as well). The older the tech is (in my experience) the less useful it becomes, except as a hobby.

While an iPad Air will work great, it will also cost you quite a bit.

As a much cheaper alternative, you might try buying a used iPad 2 on eBay.  If you're patient, you can probably find one at a very good price from someone who no longer needs it.  The iPad 2 will support Apple iOS 7, and thus EN iOS 7+.  You might also consider an iPad Mini.  I have one and really like it.

I have the original iPad, still in excellent condition, that I will always keep.  But when the new iPads come out this year, I will probably try to scalp a used iPad 2.  :-)

In this case, you are in a tough position. The iPad 1 is a relic (neither supported by Apple nor Evernote) and it simply cannot run many of the apps on the market, including Evernote. I say this as someone who had an iPad 1 and enjoyed it a lot, but gave it up as the OS and hardware became incompatible with the stuff I wanted to do.

The 'including Evernote' bit isn't exactly true. There is a version that runs OK, if a little slowly, on the iPad 1 (I don't have the version number handy). The only problem is that Evernote hasn't taken advantage of the (very useful, and quite recent) AppStore facility that makes older versions available to older devices.  I would put in a support request to the Evernote team asking them to enable the older version for installation on iPad 1. They might refuse, but there's no harm asking.

While it's true that the iPad 1 can't run any app that requires iOS 6 or above, it's still a perfectly useful and capable device for the apps it does run. I know of plenty in use.

• Level 5*

Thank you.

As a much cheaper alternative, you might try buying a used iPad 2 on eBay.  If you're patient, you can probably find one at a very good price from someone who no longer needs it.  The iPad 2 will support Apple iOS 7, and thus EN iOS 7+.  You might also consider an iPad Mini.  I have one and really like it.

I have the original iPad, still in excellent condition, that I will always keep.  But when the new iPads come out this year, I will probably try to scalp a used iPad 2.  :-)

I cannot disagree with this enough, but I guess that is because I am willing to pay a little more for a retina screen, a superior processor, and a longer life (I doubt the iPad 2 will support iOS 8). It simply isn't worth it, in my opinion. I enjoyed the iPad 2 immensely, but I do not miss the blurry screens (on the iPad 1 or 2) one bit. Still, if you are on a tight budget, I have to admit that the iPad 2 is less expensive, and perhaps an option. Not one I would consider, but I guess I've made that clear :)

• Level 5*

The 'including Evernote' bit isn't exactly true. There is a version that runs OK, if a little slowly, on the iPad 1 (I don't have the version number handy). The only problem is that Evernote hasn't taken advantage of the (very useful, and quite recent) AppStore facility that makes older versions available to older devices.  I would put in a support request to the Evernote team asking them to enable the older version for installation on iPad 1. They might refuse, but there's no harm asking.

While it's true that the iPad 1 can't run any app that requires iOS 6 or above, it's still a perfectly useful and capable device for the apps it does run. I know of plenty in use.

I think the issue here is that he just got the app, so he doesn't have access to any older versions. Does the current version work on the iPad 1? I doubt it. I suppose, if he dug around in his daughter's backups and was willing to login with her Apple account, it could be retrieved from his computer, but there are a lot of unpleasant side effects sharing Apple accounts with someone.

I agree about asking for an old version. I can see lots of uses for the iPad 1, but only in limited circumstances, and not so much if you haven't had it for a few years (and have the old versions of apps that still work).

I think the issue here is that he just got the app, so he doesn't have access to any older versions. Does the current version work on the iPad 1? I doubt it. I suppose, if he dug around in his daughter's backups and was willing to login with her Apple account, it could be retrieved from his computer, but there are a lot of unpleasant side effects sharing Apple accounts with someone.

I agree about asking for an old version. I can see lots of uses for the iPad 1, but only in limited circumstances, and not so much if you haven't had it for a few years (and have the old versions of apps that still work).

No, the current version requires either iOS6 or 7 (don't remember, but in any case the iPad 1 only supports 5.1). But fairly recently Apple started allowing the App Store to serve up older versions of an app for precisely this purpose. It's just that Evernote aren't taking advantage of this (very useful) facility yet.

Thank you.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I like the idea of asking Evernote for the older version, which I was running on the iPad1, but I found no place to contact anyone under "Contact", only a chat for premium users, which I'm not. Any ideas where to look?

• Level 5*

Thank you.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I like the idea of asking Evernote for the older version, which I was running on the iPad1, but I found no place to contact anyone under "Contact", only a chat for premium users, which I'm not. Any ideas where to look?

Hi. Take a look in my signature. Contact support, and they'll get back to you! Or, if you are a Premium member, you can chat with them about it.

• Level 5*

I cannot disagree with this enough, but I guess that is because I am willing to pay a little more for a retina screen, a superior processor, and a longer life (I doubt the iPad 2 will support iOS 8). It simply isn't worth it, in my opinion. I enjoyed the iPad 2 immensely, but I do not miss the blurry screens (on the iPad 1 or 2) one bit. Still, if you are on a tight budget, I have to admit that the iPad 2 is less expensive, and perhaps an option. Not one I would consider, but I guess I've made that clear :)

GM, I'm not sure why you would so strongly disagree with my suggested alternative.  Many, many people loved and used both the iPad 1 and iPad 2.  Certainly the iPad 2 is a very good machine, and can satisfy the needs/desires of many users.  Of course, you can always go top-of-the-line, but not everyone wants to.

To be specific:

All I'm saying is that there are choices other than a new iPad Air.  This is neither good nor bad -- it just depends on your needs and budget.  Both will run iOS 7.x and Evernote 7.x.

Archived