Sharing — do I have this right?

Kirby Krieger

Idea

I think I've been able to state my understanding of Sharing simply.  Can any confirm or correct this?  What are the restrictions based on Evernote status that the sharee faces (see question below)?  Thanks.

• I limit "Share" to meaning allowing others access to your on-line Evernote Notesack.
    • As with all data, anyone can copy their own and send it to others.  Here I'm dealing with only giving others access to part of one's Evernote database.
  • You can share only Notes and Notebooks.
  • If a Note is shared, it is public and cannot be edited.
    • You cannot share a solo Note to a restricted group, and you cannot share a solo Note and have it others edit it.
  • If a Notebook is shared, all Notes in it are shared.
  • Notebooks can be shared publicly, or restricted to a group of specified individuals.
  • Shared Notebooks that are restricted to a group can be either read-only, read-only and view activity log, editable, or editable and shareable (sharees can invite others).
    • What are the restrictions on Sharees actions which depend on their own Evernote status (not a user, free user, Premium user), other than that you must have a Premium membership to invite others?
  • Notes in shared Notebooks cannot be successfully edited by two people at once.  If there are conflicting edits, both versions will be saved.  The sharer must manual merge conflicts.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

That seems a pretty complete summary.  Just on two points...

• What are the restrictions on Sharees actions which depend on their own Evernote status (not a user, free user, Premium user), other than that you must have a Premium membership to invite others?

- Not sure what you're asking here; users are either free or Premium but have exactly the same access except for the ability to invite others

• Notes in shared Notebooks cannot be successfully edited by two people at once.  If there are conflicting edits, both versions will be saved.  The sharer must manual merge conflicts.

- an add-on comment here.  There's a "sync delay" between two machines - you're sending your edits to the server in 10 minutes and I'm about to sync and then edit the same note but my edits won't be synced for another 20 minutes or so.. which creates two different versions on the same note.  You'll see the problem when you next sync after my update,  but that might not be until tomorrow...

Evernote is a great way to share information,  but maybe not when it might be time-sensitive or when there will be frequent changes to the content from multiple sources.  Always sync before and after editing to make sure you edit and save the latest version of a note!

(And don't forget that Evernote Business takes the whole sharing thing a stage or two further)

Thanks — You hit almost everything.  I'm still learning how to word these questions.

That seems a pretty complete summary.  Just on two points...

- Not sure what you're asking here; users are either free or Premium but have exactly the same access except for the ability to invite others

Can people who have never signed up for Evernote read a shared Note (or Notes in a shared Notebook) without signing up?  And to confirm, users who have signed-up for a free membership can edit Notes or Notebooks for which they have been assigned that privilege?

• Level 5*

If you're not signed up to Evernote you can read and edit (with necessary permissions) shared notes -via a link- in a web browser.  Notebooks (AFAIK) require at least a free evernote account to view - and without an account you'd lose some features;  editing and regular syncing to update notes when changed.  Free users can edit shared notebooks - and one thing I forgot;  a free user is allowed one outbound share with editing priviledges.

To verify different use cases it's pretty easy to set up another free account and 'share' with yourself.  If you're looking at setting up wider area sharing I'd strongly recommend avoiding a 'big bang' with multiple shares.  Pilot something with a very small membership first and widen the net slowly...

Hey,

It seems like I found the right thread to ask this... (Please indulge me; I'm a newbie but very excited as a new premium user to get my business operating on Evernote)

I'd really like Evernote to allow to 'share by tag', but they don't. Maybe you can suggest a work around or alternate work flow than the following:

I work as a freelance wholesale clothing buyer, and have 15 different clients (stores). I shop from 150+ suppliers, each with a constant flow of new products. I have a NOTEBOOK for every Supplier. Each Product that I buy is a new NOTE (contains pictures, pricing details, document picture of written purchase order, etc). I then TAG the clients for which I've purchased the product (ranges from 'any' to 'all').

(Example: "New Note Product X", goes in notebook "Supplier Y", with tags #clientA #clientB #clientC)

I'm looking for a way to best collaborate with each client, to be able to show them what I've purchased for them. So if I could share by tag, it'd be as simple as sharing anything with #clientA with that client, and he can see it all. To the best of my knowledge, this can't be done.

I don't know much about Evernote for Business, and their website was a little vague about the advanced sharing options, but didn't mention anything that sounded like this. If be happy to pay for the business service if it would allow for this.

I know I can 'share by notebook', but it doesn't make sense for me to make notebooks for each client; if I did, then buying ProductX would require me to create the note up to 15 times, one for every Client's folder. There's gotta be a solution!

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Joe

• Level 5*

To share with a client,  and allow that client only to see their own records,  you'd need to share a notebook per client.  It is quite easy to copy individual notes,  so what you could do is to keep your existing supplier notebooks,  but instead of tagging the products that you supply,  you copy the note into that client's notebook to signify what they've purchased.  You'd need to tag the notes with the source supplier - easy: just select all the tags in the supplier notebook and bulk tag before you copy.

You might want to invent a 'virtual' client as a test and set up your own little pilot before releasing it on an unsuspecting world - I can think of occasional drawbacks like all tags may be visible to all the people you share with,  so each suppliers is going to know the name of who else you shop with,  as are all your clients...

You should also look at Evernote Business which has a different structure.

• Level 5

If you're not signed up to Evernote you can read and edit (with necessary permissions) shared notes -via a link- in a web browser.  Notebooks (AFAIK) require at least a free evernote account to view - and without an account you'd lose some features;  editing and regular syncing to update notes when changed.

When you share a notebook, there’s a checkbox that says 'Allow notebook preview without requiring login’.

If you check this checkbox, then people can view (but not edit) your notebook without having an account.

Archived