Automatically create new note every day with template and reminder

Laura Josepha

Hi all,

I've created a note for myself: it's a list I have to check everyday.

I'd like to keep track of what I answered to each question on the list, so I'd like Evernote to automatically duplicate the note every day at 16:00 and remind me to 'fil it out'.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Or could you recommend another way / app / program to do this?

Thanx in advance,

Laura

Hi all,

I've created a note for myself: it's a list I have to check everyday.

I'd like to keep track of what I answered to each question on the list, so I'd like Evernote to automatically duplicate the note every day at 16:00 and remind me to 'fil it out'.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Or could you recommend another way / app / program to do this?

Thanx in advance,

Laura

Evernote does not do this.  You can do this yourself by creating your template note.  Then use the 'copy note' function each day to create the note for that day.

• Level 5*

In Windows, you could probably rig up a Task Scheduler  task to add a new note from a template using the command-line ENScript.exe program that comes with the Evernote installation. You'd use either the 'createNote' command or the 'importNotes' command:

For ENScript createNote:

Usage: ENScript createNote [options]

Options:

/s file - file containing the plain text note contents. If omitted, note contents are read from standard input.
  /n notebook - notebook to create the note in. If does not exist, lazy create. If omitted, use default notebook.
  /b notebook - business notebook to create the note in. If does not exist, lazy create.
  /i title - specifies note title. If omitted, note title will be generated automatically.
  /t tag - specifies note tag. If tag does not exist, lazy create it. Use multiple /t options to specify multiple tags.
  /a filename - specifies file attachment. Use multiple /a options or file masks to specify multiple file attachments.
  /c dttm - note creation date/time. { "YYYY/MM/DD hh:mm:ss" | filetime }. If omitted, use current time.
  /u username - user name if not the same as database file name.
  /p password - user password to confirm Evernote service access.
  /d database - database file name if user name is not specified.

If both database file name and user name are not specified, last login name is used and
if there is none, USERNAME environment variable value is used as a user name.

For ENScript importNotes :
Usage: ENScript importNotes [options]

Options:

/s {file|url} - source .enex file or url. If omitted, stdin is used to gather source specification.
  /n notebook - notebook to create the note in. If does not exist, lazy create. If omitted, use default notebook.
  /b notebook - business notebook to create the note in. If does not exist, lazy create.
  /u username - user name if not the same as database file name.
  /p password - user password to confirm Evernote service access.
  /d database - database file name if user name is not specified.

If both database file name and user name are not specified, last login name is used and
if there is none, USERNAME environment variable value is used as a user name.

A little Rube Golderg-esque, but it might work. You'd need to work at it a bit to get the reminder working correctly, I think.

You also might want to play around with www.ifttt.com. I have it create a new "Daily Log" note for me every morning with the day's weather. It then automatically appends a number of things to the note in addition to the things I add manually. It's pretty cool.

• Level 5*

You also might want to play around with www.ifttt.com. I have it create a new "Daily Log" note for me every morning with the day's weather. It then automatically appends a number of things to the note in addition to the things I add manually. It's pretty cool.

Cool. I should go back and check out IFTTT again. I create a work journal every Monday from a template.

See the posts in this thread by user nardhelian:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25369-howto-journal-in-evernote-vs-dedicated-program/page-2?locale=en

I've expanded a little on their system but it was a great place to start.

I might add that nardhelian stated they had to change the title of the note every night or the system didn't create a new note. I've not found that to be the case. The only time that happens is if the initial 6:30am not creation doesn't fire (happens every couple of months) then, everything else will get appended to the previous day's note. However, if you're just trying to create a note every day, and aren't worried about the rest of the stuff that gets automatically added, that shouldn't be a huge problem.

IFttt looks VERY nice! It's a bloody shame I didn't know it before today! I signed up, and will check out the possibilities! Probably, what I want with Evernote will be possible! :-) Thanks, everyone, for coming up with ideas!

Archived