Changing note creation date is cumbersome

Could I please ask for a more convenient way of changing the note creation date? Right now it requires opening note information popover (Shift-Command-I). My workflow when scanning receipts and other documents is to change note creation date to the date of the receipt or document, set note title and tags, and file it in a notebook. Of all these items only creation date requires a keystroke/mouse click to open a separate window (and that popover window very inconveniently doesn't close when I press Escape, but that's a different issue). It would be great if note creation date could be changed directly in the note window, just as I can currently change note tags, title and notebook. Thank you!

• Level 5*

Could I please ask for a more convenient way of changing the note creation date? Right now it requires opening note information popover (Shift-Command-I). My workflow when scanning receipts and other documents is to change note creation date to the date of the receipt or document, set note title and tags, and file it in a notebook. Of all these items only creation date requires a keystroke/mouse click to open a separate window (and that popover window very inconveniently doesn't close when I press Escape, but that's a different issue). It would be great if note creation date could be changed directly in the note window, just as I can currently change note tags, title and notebook. Thank you!

Hi. Welcome to the forums. One solution (that I use) is to put the date in the title as 20140406 or 140406. Perhaps this will be a convenient workaround. A couple of years ago they removed the editable date from the main note view in favor of a popover (as I recall), and I raised a similar complaint. There are benefits to having the popover (a cleaner interface), and I think we can safely assume that two years on, it is at least unlikely that they will revert to the previous UI, so the workaround might be worth the effort. 

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367

... and that popover window very inconveniently doesn't close when I press Escape...

FYI, command-W works to close that popover window (assuming you remain stuck with your current workflow). Best of luck with your UI request.

• 3 months later...

I have the same request. This is fresh in my mind as I've just finished changing the creation date on about 700 notes. I also have the date in the title on someone else's recommendation. They said that when you export notes as a backup, the creation date does not "stick" , so when you reimport them their creation date will be the import date. 

I like using the creation date for sorting and searches, the title date is only as a safeguard.

• 1 year later...

This is not a particularly high priority for me as GM points out a simple easy work around is to put the date in the title. If you want to sort by date, put the date first. 

I checked to see how hard it would be to change the created by date in my Windows 10 file system: I couldn't figure out how to do it. It looks like I might be able to get some extra software to do it. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Interesting. You should be able to click on created/updated time and edit them on the desktop version. You can't on the web for sure. You might try shutting down EN through File - Exit and the restarting EN to see if that clears it. No ideas beyond that.

Archived