Six Points to avoid me (and others) switching to OneNote

notsaved

Hi guys,

just wanted to drop several hints to get loads of money including my Premium subscription for the following years

(if I don't switch to OneNote because you fail at catching up)

1) Windows Desktop client needs a functional Word-like text editor. Just look at how OneNote does it:

• multimedia content can be shifted around with adaptive layout
  • formatting tools are consistent & don't lose formatting across platform

2) Windows Desktop client needs a corkboard environment, even if on a separate section. Just look at Scrivener or Springpad: they do it, it works, it helps figuring out things with small sticker notes (COLORS PLS, VIRTUAL POST-ITS, markers, etc.) before writing up longer stuff.

3) WebClipper needs to be able to clip stuff directly inside A SPECIFIC NOTE without destroying its formatting of course, but also maintaining its text/image original content. Again, OneNote does it and it's awesome.

4) Dictation is complete *****. Work on it.

5) Windows Phone app has pretty much the same functionalities of my sms client. Ramp it up AT LEAST to Android standards.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE ULTIMATE SUGGESTION THAT WILL PROJECT YOUR COMPANY IN THE OLYMPUS OF STARTUPS & MAKE U LOADS OF MONEY:

6) Z O T E R O   INTEGRATION: Zotero is open source and free, and LOADS of academics use it - just let us include dynamic citations with a Zotero plugin and we can ditch Word, Office and other MS bullshit, and just keep our writing cycle all inside Evernote.

If you just worked for one year on the mentioned points, ditching social bullshit and food apps, Evernote can become the ultimate productivity notetaking app, make people forget the temptation of OneNote & push you up into universities&colleges

and I'm giving you all this intel for FREE.

do it

Hi guys,

just wanted to drop several hints to get loads of money including my Premium subscription for the following years

1) Windows Desktop client needs a functional Word-like text editor. Just look at how OneNote does it:

2) Windows Desktop client needs a corkboard environment, even if on a separate section. Just look at Scrivener or Springpad: they do it, it works, it helps figuring out things with small sticker notes (COLORS PLS, VIRTUAL POST-ITS, markers, etc.) before writing up longer stuff.

3) WebClipper needs to be able to clip stuff directly inside A SPECIFIC NOTE without destroying its formatting of course, but also maintaining its text/image original content. Again, OneNote does it and it's awesome.

5) Windows Phone app has pretty much the same functionalities of my sms client. Ramp it up AT LEAST to Android standards.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE ULTIMATE SUGGESTION THAT WILL PROJECT YOUR COMPANY IN THE OLYMPUS OF STARTUPS & MAKE U LOADS OF MONEY:

6) Z O T E R O   INTEGRATION: Zotero is open source and free, and LOADS of academics use it - just let us include dynamic citations with a Zotero plugin and we can ditch Word, Office and other MS bullshit, and just keep our writing cycle all inside Evernote.

If you just worked for one year on the mentioned points, ditching social bullshit and food apps, Evernote can become the ultimate productivity notetaking app, make people forget the temptation of OneNote & push you up into universities&colleges

do it

Actually, as a long time & heavy user of Evernote, I'd have to say none of these things are important to me.  We all have our "wish list".  It seems Evernote knows where they are going & what they are doing.  That may or may not coincide with your needs. 

Good luck.

Hi guys,

do it

Actually, as a long time & heavy user of Evernote, I'd have to say none of these things are important to me.  We all have our "wish list".  It seems Evernote knows where they are going & what they are doing.  That may or may not coincide with your needs. 

Good luck.

7) avoid making "evangelists" moderators who self-spam obvious arguments and instead appoint some PR people to address directly customer suggestions

I think you make some good points notsaved, I especially agree with Evernote catching up with OneNote in terms of its text editing functions.

However, Evernote also offers many things that OneNote doesn't.

So, for the time being, I use both of them. Unfortunately I dont think there will ever be a day when one single piece of software can be everything to everyone!

7) avoid making "evangelists" moderators who self-spam obvious arguments and instead appoint some PR people to address directly customer suggestions

Evernote staff read all of the posts. They don't reply that often and they do not post a roadmap. I'm sure they will give your suggests all of the consideration they are due. 

Best of luck. 

I appreciate the post by the OP. I have felt the same way really. There is a small but growing circle of disaffect EN users ready to jump... basic things like UI design are missed by EN, they seem to develop in a vacuum (otherwise called no roadmap), they don't seem to fix basic recurring bugs that are critical to a smooth function product, and let's not even discuss the lack of consistent or sophisticated search that allows searching that works and is basic to other search features out in the wild (all of the above are in various threads in the forum). I found the comment about the evangelists pretty funny, but I'd agree, more like apologists than evangelists often and while I get the role, they do a great service when providing help (why no documentation1 for them and us while we are at it), but somehow **almost** (but not) always sound put off when people push back against EN and the suggestions appear less than helpful (really, sometimes it is as caustic feeling as a "too bad" even though they are far more tactful than that).

It does seem that the niche is heating up, that we all often have to use multiple products, but EN is no longer the start up it was and should not be allowed to use that as an excuse and is in line to get disrupted itself. Like most services will find itself a consumer ghost town as soon as it happens. 

1) Zotero has documentation... wow. And they don't charge. https://www.zotero.org/support/ so why doesn't EN?

Quote any single word of the following, and I testify that in my academic community this is a very common complaint. And I'm talking of students & staff.

I appreciate the post by the OP. I have felt the same way really. There is a small but growing circle of disaffect EN users ready to jump... basic things like UI design are missed by EN, they seem to develop in a vacuum (otherwise called no roadmap), they don't seem to fix basic recurring bugs that are critical to a smooth function product, and let's not even discuss the lack of consistent or sophisticated search that allows searching that works and is basic to other search features out in the wild (all of the above are in various threads in the forum). I found the comment about the evangelists pretty funny, but I'd agree, more like apologists than evangelists often and while I get the role, they do a great service when providing help (why no documentation1 for them and us while we are at it), but somehow **almost** (but not) always sound put off when people push back against EN and the suggestions appear less than helpful (really, sometimes it is as caustic feeling as a "too bad" even though they are far more tactful than that).

It does seem that the niche is heating up, that we all often have to use multiple products, but EN is no longer the start up it was and should not be allowed to use that as an excuse and is in line to get disrupted itself. Like most services will find itself a consumer ghost town as soon as it happens. 

1) Zotero has documentation... wow. And they don't charge. https://www.zotero.org/support/ so why doesn't EN?

Evernote was cool because it was fast (faster than giants like Microsoft) and responsive and innovative. Now it sucks/it's stuck, and it's expensive, and it doesn't cross platforms consistently, and it doesn't give me the tools I'd like to pay 50$ a year.

On a meta-level, also agree with the quote: user feedback should not rely on "evangelists" that just keep spitting out "Evernote staff lurks in the shadows but I swear they read all your posts / Evernote knows what to do but will not reveal any of the plans / etc." That's off-putting and not helpful - we're users not consumers, and I didn't buy a software copy, I bought a subscription & that means that I expect to get reasonable feedback and to know where the software is going, and I want to see a responsive & proactive developer's community.

On a meta-level, also agree with the quote: user feedback should not rely on "evangelists" that just keep spitting out "Evernote staff lurks in the shadows but I swear they read all your posts / Evernote knows what to do but will not reveal any of the plans / etc." That's off-putting and not helpful - we're users not consumers, and I didn't buy a software copy, I bought a subscription & that means that I expect to get reasonable feedback and to know where the software is going, and I want to see a responsive & proactive developer's community.

And I was trying to be polite and helpful. Would you prefer that no one respond to your posts unless they work for Evernote? Or would you prefer to know that it's unlikely that Evernote will respond. This is a user-to-user support forum. The fact that Evernote staff read all the posts is a bonus, not the purpose of the forum. And, if you post in a user forum, you're going to get users responding to you and not all of them wil agree with you.

You are also free to submit a support ticket with your suggestions. I'm sure you'll get an email from an actual Evernote employee. The link is in my signature.

Best of luck.

• Level 5*

We keep saying this because it's true, and people need to know what they're getting from the user forum here (it would probably be better if that information was posted up front, even in the forums code of conduct, but it doesn't change the fact). You're a user? Congratulations, so am I, and this is a user forum. If you have questions about how to do things in Evernote, this is a good place to start. To get actual support from Evernote with problems or situations that you encounter, you use the official support system; premium users get priority and chat. Getting future roadmap type stuff is different than support; some companies give it out, some don't. It's your money, and you're free to decide whether you're comfortable with that or not.

We keep saying this because it's true, and people need to know what they're getting from the user forum here (it would probably be better if that information was posted up front, even in the forums code of conduct, but it doesn't change the fact). You're a user? Congratulations, so am I, and this is a user forum. If you have questions about how to do things in Evernote, this is a good place to start. To get actual support from Evernote with problems or situations that you encounter, you use the official support system; premium users get priority and chat. Getting future roadmap type stuff is different than support; some companies give it out, some don't. It's your money, and you're free to decide whether you're comfortable with that or not.

Let me put that simply: this is whatever you want to think it is. A user forum? Perfect.

Fact is, loads of people actually use it to tell Evernote about features that they want / features that don't work / other suggestions. This forum is hosted on the official Evernote website. I didn't find any "send your suggestion" type of forms on the official website (and a support ticket is not what I would use: I need no support, it's Evernote who needs my support) so I posted here. My intention was definitely not hearing another user-like-me-but-also-Evernote-Evangelist telling me the truth (that is that I can spend my money how I want). I know that perfectly. I like(d) this app so I thought it could be helpful notifying the company that if they don't go where I would I will stop giving that money to them - out of pure courtesy and belief that reactive and focused start-ups need and actually profit from comments of this kind.

...and again: I didn't ask for dramatic insights into "the Masterplan". I don't care if Evernote will file an IPO in 2016 or plans to have its own OS.

I just want to know if OCR is planned in 6 months, 1 year or never. If the WebClipper will be improved, and if so, when, realistically. I want to be able to decide if I'm going to renew my Premium without having to bet on 5 different Evernote apps that work differently on each platform I have. This is very different from "future roadmap type stuff". Even massive companies conduct this kind of interaction with the users, I don't see any reason (other than the company not knowing the next steps or not having time/money to assign a guy to do PR). And these are both bad reasons.

Whether you think it's the right way to do business or not, Evernote doesn't generally provide that sort of information. Many companies don't provide such information. You are free to speculate on why they chose not to. We may never know if you're right.

Evernote is happy to accept suggestions through the support channel, even if you don't need support.

Best of luck.

Let me put that simply: this is whatever you want to think it is. A user forum? Perfect.

Fact is, loads of people actually use it to tell Evernote about features that they want / features that don't work / other suggestions. This forum is hosted on the official Evernote website. I didn't find any "send your suggestion" type of forms on the official website (and a support ticket is not what I would use: I need no support, it's Evernote who needs my support) so I posted here. My intention was definitely not hearing another user-like-me-but-also-Evernote-Evangelist telling me the truth (that is that I can spend my money how I want). I know that perfectly. I like(d) this app so I thought it could be helpful notifying the company that if they don't go where I would I will stop giving that money to them - out of pure courtesy and belief that reactive and focused start-ups need and actually profit from comments of this kind.

Yes, people post their feature requests here & as has been posted, that is fine. The fact that you don't want to hear from other users is unfortunate, which is why you were directed to submit a support ticket. And yes, this forum is a way to notify the company (as has been stated numerous times on the board & in this thread).

...and again: I didn't ask for dramatic insights into "the Masterplan". I don't care if Evernote will file an IPO in 2016 or plans to have its own OS.

I just want to know if OCR is planned in 6 months, 1 year or never. If the WebClipper will be improved, and if so, when, realistically. I want to be able to decide if I'm going to renew my Premium without having to bet on 5 different Evernote apps that work differently on each platform I have. This is very different from "future roadmap type stuff". Even massive companies conduct this kind of interaction with the users, I don't see any reason (other than the company not knowing the next steps or not having time/money to assign a guy to do PR). And these are both bad reasons.

As my parents told me & the Rolling Stones attest to, you can't always get what you want. And yes, the possibility of future OCR does fall under "future roadmap".

The fact that you don't see any reason to not publish whatever you want them to publish is really irrelevant.  It's the way Evernote has chosen to do business. 

I'm definitely going to sound like a broken record, but not every thread gets a reply from an Evernote employee. We also don't post roadmaps, though it doesn't mean we're lacking one completely. So with that in mind, I don't have any specific news about OCR or the Webclipper. We currently do have OCR, but I think you're talking about different or more advanced OCR features. The WebClipper is improved all the time, though I can't comment about your specific desire to clip into an existing note... Sorry for not being the bearer of better news

I appreciate your suggestions and I'm happy that you came to our forums.

I know this discussion became more of a gripe against the Evangelists, but I would like to bring it back to the overall issue that the OP has brought up. We pay for a product, and expect more for the money. We appreciate the forums and come here to speak out and to see if anyone else is having the same issues.  We come here to see if anyone has solutions to problems. It turns out that yes, we have the same problem.  The problem is with how Evernote has been spending their development time. 

My big gripe is that the Windows Desktop client does not scale properly on high resolution/small size displays.  It is next to impossible for me to use the Windows client because of the scaling issue.  This has been a problem for a while now, but Evernote remains silent on the issue. It's a perfect example.  For a company that has always developed applications on fringe platforms (I'm looking at you Google Glass and Pebble), it makes absolutely no sense that they haven't fixed a scaling problem on the Windows client.  We see Evernote socks, bags, business products, and fancy handwriting apps, but no progress being made on the core products.  

As a side note, I LOVED the podcasts.  As far as I know, they've stopped making them about 6 months to a year ago.  When they were being made, Evernote's founders had no issue whatsoever talking about the product roadmaps. It was one of the reasons I liked this company so much. It's only been a recent change  Seems to me that they've lost touch, and I'm not the only one toying with the idea of leaving Evernote.

• Level 5*

I know this discussion became more of a gripe against the Evangelists, but I would like to bring it back to the overall issue that the OP has brought up. We pay for a product, and expect more for the money. We appreciate the forums and come here to speak out and to see if anyone else is having the same issues.  We come here to see if anyone has solutions to problems. It turns out that yes, we have the same problem.  The problem is with how Evernote has been spending their development time. 

My big gripe is that the Windows Desktop client does not scale properly on high resolution/small size displays.  It is next to impossible for me to use the Windows client because of the scaling issue.  This has been a problem for a while now, but Evernote remains silent on the issue. It's a perfect example.  For a company that has always developed applications on fringe platforms (I'm looking at you Google Glass and Pebble), it makes absolutely no sense that they haven't fixed a scaling problem on the Windows client.  We see Evernote socks, bags, business products, and fancy handwriting apps, but no progress being made on the core products.  

As a side note, I LOVED the podcasts.  As far as I know, they've stopped making them about 6 months to a year ago.  When they were being made, Evernote's founders had no issue whatsoever talking about the product roadmaps. It was one of the reasons I liked this company so much. It's only been a recent change  Seems to me that they've lost touch, and I'm not the only one toying with the idea of leaving Evernote.

I'm missing the podcasts as well. They did talk a little more about roadmaps there, but that is probably because they had the CEO sitting right there in the room. I think the reason no one else talks about roadmaps is because they want to control the message they send to users (much like Apple and many other tech companies), especially about future developments (which might be delayed or canceled, so better not to mention them until they are ready). The most recent roadmap, of sorts, was the blog post by the CEO in January.

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/01/04/on-software-quality/

I think your complaint about the scaling issue would fall clearly into the target range he mapped out, and I encourage you to contact Evernote (see the Support link in my signature) to ask when this is going to get fixed (if you don't hear from developers here). I am on Windows 7 these days (a long story), so I personally haven't experienced this, and I am afraid I don't recall coming across any statements about it on the forums.

This is technically not one of the points the OP brought up, but this point has been duly noted. We've seen the issue before, I believe mostly with Lenovo's Yoga 2.

I strongly object to the idea that "no progress being made on the core products."

• Level 5*

Several points:

* Developers don't make or sell messenger bags or other goods found in the market.

* Adding more developers doesn't necessarily result in faster development, see, for instance The Mythical Man-Month, so spending more money on them  (as opposed to other money-making ventures that Evernote is engaged in) may not result in better products being delivered to the markey more quickly.

* I think that roadmap predictions fell by the wayside somewhat in the wake of the "Due Date" public comments. Took a while to deliver on what due dates eventually became (reminders). I like how they turned out, for the most part, by the way, when it finally came. :) When roadmap announcements do come, they're usually pretty general.

* A feature like handwriting for mobile apps is much-requested. Who's to say that that's more or less important than properly supporting high-res monitors, or presentation mode, or any other new feature (including changes I've asked for)? Besides, the different clients have different teams -- I'm guessing that there's not a lot of crossover in terms of staffing them. Even so, I hope that they do fix the hi-res scaling problem, as I hope that they fix all bugs.

Evernote isn't a perfect product by any means, and OneNote is knocking on the door with a big fist. Even so, Evernote remains my daily go-to for work and personal note-keeping.

This is technically not one of the points the OP brought up, but this point has been duly noted. We've seen the issue before, I believe mostly with Lenovo's Yoga 2.

I strongly object to the idea that "no progress being made on the core products."

Allow me to clarify, and backpedal, for a moment here. I'm afraid my frustration is getting the best of me.  My gripe is not at all with the developers and I hope that you don't take my complaint about Evernote as an insult. The whole comment about the Evernote merchandise was probably a "low blow" (and I'm sure a common complaint from any frustrated user), but there is a perception that Evernote (the company) isn't as committed to the core products as it was before. Even with Phil's blog post, I simply feel that Evernote has lost focus.  That may not be the case behind the scenes, but it's my current perception. Many of us hold Evernote up on a pedestal, because it's been such a reliable company and a pioneer in the market.  It just kills me every day to load Evernote up, see no update, and feel the frustration of not being able to read anything clipped from Gmail because the text is too small (Yes, it's a Yoga 2 Pro).  For others, it might be something else (as in what the OP complained about).  It could be anything, but since we get no answer or solution, the frustration grows and we come to the forums to vent.  

Also, I did place a support ticket about this issue.  They weren't able to help (obviously), but were empathetic and advised they would pass my problem on.  

That's funny, somewhere there's a thread on here that complains we have far too many updates. Anyways, we've been pushing out a beta every week for quite sometime now, so progress is being made. We just overhauled the sync engine without much fuss, so I consider that a nice little win.

With the Yoga 2 issue, it is essentially like when Apple introduced Retina displays. Except there's really only model from a single OEM, so it is hard to pinpoint exactly when it will become "mainstream." The process for supporting the 200% DPI is, dare I say, painful.

Well if I ever see anyone on here complaining about updates, I'd like to slap them across the face.  Maybe they've subscribed to the beta channel?  Anyway, thanks for the update.  There is a thread going on right now in the Windows 8 category about high resolutions displays.  It looks like it is happening on some other laptops that employ the same scaling methods.

People are different, I guess? My 2c:

Windows Desktop client needs a functional Word-like text editor. Just look at how OneNote does it:

No, it does not. Implementing the horrible "visual" editing from OneNote would be the fastest way to lose me as a costumer. I want a text based note with the option to drop files in. EN does that pefectly as it is. 

2) Windows Desktop client needs a corkboard environment, even if on a separate section. Just look at Scrivener or Springpad: they do it,

I agree this would be a nice toy. But "need"? - not really. 

WebClipper needs to be able to clip stuff directly inside A SPECIFIC NOTE without destroying its formatting of course, but also maintaining its text/image original content. Again, OneNote does it and it's awesome.

Adding content to existing notes with the web clipper would be great. Without the Onenote "tapestry" approach. 

4) Dictation is complete *****. Work on it.

AFAIK, dictation is not an EN feature, just transported from the OS. Did I miss something? 

No opinion on the windows phone or zotero, since I never used either of them.

I think what we might be driving at here is that those of us that use touch-focused devices running Windows 8 need a better solution than what is currently out there. I like the uncluttered UI of Evernote Touch, but it lacks features (pen input and inline photos). As already mentioned, Evernote desktop is feature-rich, but doesn't do well in high-res, small-size displays.

I think this should probably be addressed fairly soon. You're going to see more and more Windows 8 tablets that fall in this category of devices. I've been working as a developer on a Windows desktop application that has run into a similar dilemma. We tried to make the application touch-centric, but this is a hard problem to solve in the desktop environment. A metro/modern app is the better place to make your app more tablet-friendly.

I'd say: bring some more features to Evernote Touch, rather than spend the time scaling the desktop application. You'll probably be able to construct a better experience over there.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that I like about OneNote that I'd like to see in Evernote is the ability to write anywhere and then move it around like you can in OneNote.  I use OneNote because I do a lot of research and it throw all on one page.  When it comes time for me to narrow down things I drag things here and there and make a functional outline out of it.  Basically can you make it like a whiteboard where things (text, pictures, links, files, etc.) can be dragged, dropped and ordered on screen? Or could it be an option for those of us who would like to do this?   I love Evernote, and it's an essential part of my productivity, but that would make it the most awesome application I have.  

Thanks for the Great Work!

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

I know it's been a while since this thread has been active, but it seemed like there was something left to be touched upon.

One of the reasons that companies tend to go from disclosing more futures and roadmap information to suddenly "shutting down" is the need to adhere to accounting standards for revenue recognition.

In a nutshell, the SEC, accounting standards bodies, and other government regulators place requirements as to when and how revenue can be officially recognized on a balance sheet (and thus improve earnings and the stock price). If a company has disclosed future features to its customer base, it is likely that the regulators would say that all revenue received from the time of the feature disclosure cannot be counted until the feature is released. Their assumption is that if the feature was delayed or never made it in to the product at all, then the customers could ask for a refund, thus negating the revenue.

This requirement is not a big deal to tiny, privately held startups. But for companies who are public, going public, or being acquired by a public company, it's a huge concern, since it can impact their valuation and thus how much they (especially the founders and early investors) get paid upon the change event.

As such, if the amount of future roadmaps coming from Evernote has dropped dramatically, it could very well indicate that their hands are tied by regulations resulting from an impending IPO or acquisition by a public company.

• Level 5*

... if the amount of future roadmaps coming from Evernote has dropped dramatically ...

Not commenting on future plans has been their policy from day one.  No change there as far as I can tell.

• Level 5

This requirement is not a big deal to tiny, privately held startups. But for companies who are public, going public, or being acquired by a public company, it's a huge concern, since it can impact their valuation and thus how much they (especially the founders and early investors) get paid upon the change event.

As such, if the amount of future roadmaps coming from Evernote has dropped dramatically, it could very well indicate that their hands are tied by regulations resulting from an impending IPO or acquisition by a public company.

Fully agree - the Evernote CEO, the Marketing Mgr, and the CTO used to publicly debate the status of Evernote's plans during a monthly podcast. There were some real bits of insight voiced in those programs.

The 40th and last podcast was released about a year ago.There were signs of unease at that point. Then earlier this year the CEO, Phil Libin, released a surprisingly open and apologetic response to problems the company was encountering. Since then, the visibility of the senior management has been minimal at best (unless you are a venture capitalist or an IPO insider).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very new to Evernote, been using OneNote for a while but tempoted to try Evernote due to the ability to blend paper and electronic by way of the Moleskine noteboks and smart stickers. Unfortunately I've discovered that this appears to be very much a work in progress. On the Win 8 phone and Win 8.1RT platforms the feature isnt even implimented. I've had a go using both an iPad 2 and iPhone 4, on both devices the smart stickers are completely ignored and dont seem to do anything at all, very dissapointing.

Sligtly better luck with the Post-It notes, but this isnt perfect perhape due to the variation in colours from one brand to another, perhaps it would be better using the officlai 3M notes...

On face value theres much to commend Evernote, unfortunately dispite the fact that its a few years old it still looks like a beta product with much function that dosent work or is at best flakey. OneNote has been rock solid...

Wating to see if I can get into the WP beta 4.4 which is said to work with the smart stickers.

Evernote need to be carefull, doubt I'm much different to other users, could easily turn out to be Evernote, intersesting idea, didnt work, not going back, OneNote works fine...

Giving it another couple of weeks and I'm still hoping it works out and putting the miles in...

I'm very new to Evernote, been using OneNote for a while but tempoted to try Evernote due to the ability to blend paper and electronic by way of the Moleskine noteboks and smart stickers. Unfortunately I've discovered that this appears to be very much a work in progress. On the Win 8 phone and Win 8.1RT platforms the feature isnt even implimented. I've had a go using both an iPad 2 and iPhone 4, on both devices the smart stickers are completely ignored and dont seem to do anything at all, very dissapointing.

One of the most infuriating things about Evernote is the feature disparity between platforms. Move between Windows and an iPad or Android and it's pot luck what will work and what won't.

It's been indicated on these forums that there's a different development team for each platform, but often it looks like they're all working from completely different roadmaps. They implement different features, they leave different bugs for us to discover.

• 2 months later...

I recently acquired a Surface Pro 3 and I used it on a business trip to a seminar.  I was seriously impressed with the writing capability of the surface pen and overall polish of OneNote 2013 compared to when I looked at it before in v2010.  The integration across platforms and with Outlook/Office has greatly improved in 2013 and the addition of the free version has convinced me to switch.  The biggest difference however is the seamless integration with the surface pen.  I'm always taking notes in meetings on paper tablets and transferring those notes back into my EN notebooks is too much friction compared to the SP3 and OneNote.  I tried the EN Camera and Moleskine integration, but I could never get it to work reliably and the lack of cross platform support on Android killed that too.  Too bad EN still doesn't have good pen functionality cross platform, and it's been years since Penultimate, Jot Script and Livescribe were first released.

I've been an EN user since 2008 and I agree with some of the earlier posts - I think EN has slowly lost its way over the past several years and now is trying to be too much to too many people.  I liked using EN Food and Hello, but neither have been touched in forever and the feature disparity between EN versions is shocking.  I seriously questioned their sanity when they rolled out EN Market.  I've seen more social media and blog posts for Market products than for the core EN product.  

I hope the EN Team gets their act together soon.  I too miss the podcasts and "startup" feel.  Now it just feels like they're trying to sell overpriced, over-engineered stuff on their market to keep the lights on and pay for their fancy new building/offices.  I'm scared that one day we'll get the Springpad blog post/email from Phil. 

I love the comment about food apps and social stuff (I would have put it into a quote but this forum didn't allow me).

I have been thinking and wanting to come back to EN from OneNote, and even bought a year's subscription for some of the really cool features that are on the Windows Phone client. I'm the fool, however, because I'm getting the feeling that EN just doesn't like anything that's to do with Microsoft - it's simply not Coffee-shop, hipster trendy cool (buy our expensive Moleskine coffe-cup rucksack book wrap business card holder) enough. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an in-office process at EN where instead of written warnings as part of the disciplinary procedures for poor performance, someone will be made to work on the Windows Phone version of EN, or, instead of a final written warning, EN for Touch.

I do like EN (or I wouldn't have paid another SUB after being away for a while), but I really don't think that EN likes me.

update from OP:

1) OneNote is great.

2) I recently opened Evernote for Windows Phone because it notified me it automatically renewed my Pro subscription (don't remember activating it... whatever): NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN 6 MONTHS!!! GJ EVERNOTE! No handwriting yet, formatting is as painful as ever (and basically nonexistent), still issues with notes editable "in fragments" because of incompatibility with other clients, voice recognition basically unusable... looking forward for the complete demise of EN once Windows 10 is here? Who knows...

Archived