Key Shortcut for Open Note in Separate Window

I'm often needing to open Notes in order to change their Notebook or tag without having them vanish from view before I finish editing if I were to just edit in the right window.

I can't find it but I gotta believe there is a keyboard shortcut for such a basic function as Open in Separate Window.

Does it exist and my bifocals are hiding it from me?

Thanks much.

PS: BTW, Evernote's activating of the new Notebook and tag changes before I completely finish editing a Note is a real frustration to me. Do others have a simple solution?

Thank you. I'll give creating a try.

On the PS, sorry about my poor description of the issue. I'll try again......

FYI, I'm on a Mac and use Snippet View.

I'll be editing a Note in the window on the right side on the Evernote page.

I've used a Shortcut search to get to the current list of Notes.

Part of my editing will usually or often involve changing the Notebook or tag.

As a consequence, as soon as I change the Notebook or tag the Note vanishes from view even though I'm probably not finished editing. Grrrr... Off I go to find it.

To avoid that, now I always Open the Note in a Separate Window but I find that added step slows me down.

So curious if experts, that excludes me, have an approach to this.

Thanks.

Changes you make to the Notebook to which the selected Note is assigned, or to the tags assigned to the selected Note, are applied immediately.  And the search is also updated.  This is a feature   :)  .  So if your currently selected container is a saved search, and you change anything that makes the current Note no longer found by the saved search parameters, your Note will no longer be displayed.

There are many ways around this, but it's important, first, that you understand why you are seeing this behavior.  If you search for Notes tagged "Red", select a Note and remove the tag "Red", that Note will instantly be removed from the search results.

One of the most robust work-arounds is to create a new tag called, for example, "MyFlag", and also create and save and drag to your Shortcuts a search for Notes tagged with "MyFlag".  Any time you want to flag Notes to work on, assign the tag "MyFlag".  Then click "MyFlag" in your Shortcuts, and edit those Notes.  When you are done editing any one or all of those Notes, remove the "MyFlag" tag.  (You want to finish every Evernote work session with nothing tagged with "MyFlag".)

HTH,

Kirby.

Thanks for the work-around suggestion.

Back to Scott's suggestion:

Can one create keyboard shortcuts for Evernote on a Mac?

I keep failing on my attempted shortcuts but since I don't create shortcuts frequently I may be missing a step.

Thank you.

Yes, as I stated above you can create your own shortcuts for any menu bar item in any application, including Evernote:

System Preferences>keyboard>shortcuts

Simply add Evernote to the list, create a new entry, type the menu item EXACTLY as it appears in the menu, in this case:

Open Note in Separate Window

and assign the desired key combination.

Thanks much for the screen shots.

Very curious.....Here's mine and no go..... Guess I can't upload.

Oh well.... I used the exact same key combo in this last test as yours.

Still doesn't work.

Whoops... Bingo. :-)

Decided to test from menubar to make sure key combo was now showing there and it was. Obviously the shortcut worked there as it did before any key combo was added.

But now after using from the menu drop down, the key combo shortcut now works. No warning alert. Go figure.

Thanks much.
  • 7 months later...

Curious, but the Open Note in Separate Window menu item is now in the "right click" context menu in EN 6.02 Mac and no longer in the menu bar Note menu.  My keyboard shortcut that I setup with the above instructions doesn't seem to work any longer.  Do you know if there is a connection between the Open Note in Separate Window menu item moving from the menu bar menu to the context menu and my keyboard shortcut no longer working?  I've deleted and recreated the keyboard shortcut and restarted EN, but it still doesn't work.  Any suggestions would be appreciated as I use the keyboard shortcut frequently to launch notes.  Thank you.

As far as I know it is not possible to create OS X keyboard shortcuts for items that do not appear in the menu bar.

If they removed that item from the menu bar and relocated it to the contextual menu, the shortcut would break.

Lots of things seem to have shifted in the release of version 6. Might be worth bringing this up in the 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 threads, or submit a support ticket. It might just be a bug or an oversight. I hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know some workaround that would solve this - enable a keyboard shortcut to be used for a contextual item?

Opening the note in a new window is something I use all the time as a 'full screen' view when I want to read a note without the surrounding clutter. (I know there's an Enter Full Screen option, but all it does is remove the menu bar... it's not like the immersive mode you get in applications like Scrivener, Word and Preview.)

Presentation mode is an option, but not if you want to edit the note... 

It's not a massive issue, as you can just double-click on the note in the sidebar, but a shortcut would be nice.

• 1 year later...

With EN for Mac 6.6 released yesterday this hasn't been addressed.  Is there a way to make this a formal feature request to put the "Open in a Separate Window" command back in the standard Note menu rather than the Note context menu so we can assign a keyboard shortcut to the command?

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, dbr12 said:

Is there a way to make this a formal feature request to put the "Open in a Separate Window" command back in the standard Note menu rather than the Note context menu so we can assign a keyboard shortcut to the command?

If you post this as a feature request in the Product Feedback forum it can be better addressed.  
That forum allows for user voting to indicate priorities for requests.

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

If you post this as a feature request in the Product Feedback forum it can be better addressed.  
That forum allows for user voting to indicate priorities for requests.

Thank you for the response.  I found that it was already a feature request so I voted it up.  Thank you.

A forum contributor JMichaelTX wrote an Apple script that opens a note in a separate window to which you can assign a keyboard shortcut.  It works great.  Here's the post that contains the script: 

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/4/2014 at 10:09 PM, ScottLougheed said:

Just set it up for myself and works fine. 

make sure you have the menu item typed exactly correct

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s25/sh/af8eeea4-8b51-413a-aff3-d7473b0fe267/fdd8c7d2163b5be8c265e628bb9711ee

Right clicking shows that the command title has changed to "Open Note in New Window"
If you use this Menu Title, the shortcut will work in the new version.

Archived