Tags: Prefix/lead-in to the name of the tag

norm3

Idea

I've been using Evernote for a few months and I find that I'd like to apply tags more quickly and more efficiently.

Thus I was looking not to "reinvent the wheel" but to find out what other users recommend using as prefixes to the name of tags. Such prefix would provide a way to separate tags by category and to provide focus to the drop down suggestions for each new tag.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to good discussions, articles, web sites that address how best to use tags in multi-level tagging.

Thank you.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It's normal (I think) for relatively recent converts to stick with a hierarchical order for notes (or at least note tags) because that's closest to the physical filing model we're all familiar with.  As experience grows and as they gain more familiarity with the very efficient search grammar,  some older users tend to prefer 'smart titles' including date (yyyyymmdd) and other standard information because it's more efficient to do away with tags than to get more deeply involved with a complicated codifying system.  I tend to use tags now only when I have to - when a search throws up some unintended overlap that means I need to refine my search by inclusion or exclusion of a specific tag.

Not saying you shouldn't use tags,  not saying you can't - just suggesting there are other ways to go...

• Level 5

I've been using Evernote for a few months and I find that I'd like to apply tags more quickly and more efficiently.

Thus I was looking not to "reinvent the wheel" but to find out what other users recommend using as prefixes to the name of tags. Such prefix would provide a way to separate tags by category and to provide focus to the drop down suggestions for each new tag.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to good discussions, articles, web sites that address how best to use tags in multi-level tagging.

Thank you.

Here is the 3-character prefix system I use for Evernote tags.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/50676-feature-suggestion-option-for-nested-tags-to-filter-by-parent-tag/#entry251605

Archived