Pointers to notebooks, tags, older notes missing (only) on ipad

I have been a happy EN user since EN 1.0 (when it was all one long tape with no tags). I have especially loved it on my ipad (tiles show images and are right-sized to skim many tiles at once) so I use it all day to lifestream in many directions (14, 000 notes total to date). 

Imagine the consternation when one day a few weeks ago (away from home and desktop), it refused to load, and then when it did, behaved like a fresh install with zero notes and a very small set of empty notebooks. 

I quickly reassured myself with a browser that all my data was still there (as a Premium user, I figured it had to be). But now that I am home again (900 new notes later) and able to be mutimodal, I am trying to fix the ipad problem.

My main impediment to a reinstall of the app is that I still use ios5 (missed updating to 6 by a week and not ready to go to 7 yet <pffft>). Does anyone know if Evernote will do a "backwards" update, i.e. detect I still have system 5, and install a rev that works with 5?

I did talk to customer service, but all they could say was "back up to a computer first and restore from there if needed" since such a backup would include the prior "IA" file (whatever that is). But it seems to me that if a new install fails, restoring from a copy of what I have now would take me back to my current state with the damaged version of EN 5.3.2?

All ideas welcome!

PS.. As a precaution, I renamed the empty notebooks it saved after crash (with an x at the end) so it wouldnt overwrite old notebooks when/if it fired up intact again. Was that a good thing to do, or not needed?

I have been a happy EN user since EN 1.0 (when it was all one long tape with no tags). I have especially loved it on my ipad (tiles show images and are right-sized to skim many tiles at once) so I use it all day to lifestream in many directions (14, 000 notes total to date).

Imagine the consternation when one day a few weeks ago (away from home and desktop), it refused to load, and then when it did, behaved like a fresh install with zero notes and a very small set of empty notebooks.

I quickly reassured myself with a browser that all my data was still there (as a Premium user, I figured it had to be). But now that I am home again (900 new notes later) and able to be mutimodal, I am trying to fix the ipad problem.

My main impediment to a reinstall of the app is that I still use ios5 (missed updating to 6 by a week and not ready to go to 7 yet <pffft>). Does anyone know if Evernote will do a "backwards" update, i.e. detect I still have system 5, and install a rev that works with 5?

I did talk to customer service, but all they could say was "back up to a computer first and restore from there if needed" since such a backup would include the prior "IA" file (whatever that is). But it seems to me that if a new install fails, restoring from a copy of what I have now would take me back to my current state with the damaged version of EN 5.3.2?

All ideas welcome!

PS.. As a precaution, I renamed the empty notebooks it saved after crash (with an x at the end) so it wouldnt overwrite old notebooks when/if it fired up intact again. Was that a good thing to do, or not needed?

AFAIK, if you don't have a backup in iTunes, there is no way to get an older version of Evernote via the official channels. However, you may be able to get a copy through some place like Filehippo. But if you've already synced your iPad & it was behaving like a fresh install (prior to adding the 900 new notes), it should have downloaded all the existing notes from the server. (That's what a fresh install would do, as long as you're logging into an existing account with existing notes). It sounds like you may have accidentally created another account & that's what the iPad is looking at. I would be sure to backup the EN database on your desktop (please search the board on the topic if you need help as it's been discussed a lot). Last I knew, backing up iOS devices in iTunes does not backup the Evernote data (people complained it took too long to backup). So I don't really know of a way to backup the 900 new notes on the iPad. (I probably would not have devoted that much information without confirming it was working properly). You can email them directly to your EN account, but that's a lot of emails. So if you now try to sync the 900 new notes on the iPad & they disappear, you may be out of luck. But if it turns out you do have multiple accounts, then it's very easy to move the data from one to another by using a desktop app & exporting the notes to an enex file & importing the enex file to the other account. IOW, after syncing the iPad, if the 900 new notes are still on the iPad but don't appear on the desktop (after syncing the desktop), then it would seem you are working with two different accounts.

Thanks so much for the added info! Let me add a couple of factoids that may clarify (or make it even more mysterious).

With access finally restored to my workspaces again (backstory is we had a housefire and I have been deluged with triage on other needs, while believing all my EN data was safe and I just had to work out the ipad kinks once I had some extra time).

Latest info: I got a new Win8 laptop last weekend and installed EN there. it took a loooong time to sync, but it DID see all 14,000 notes (TY to the EN-PTB!) including the 900 most recent, all via logging into my normal account. So there are *not *two accounts, and it has been updating in sync with the mother ship since the day the ipad client first glitched. But on the ipad side (version 5.x) it still cannot see anything more than the 900 newest and still has zero tags.

[i can hear it coming now -- It is just a matter of time before someone tells me to update to ios7 and be done with resisting, right?]

Thanks so much for the added info! Let me add a couple of factoids that may clarify (or make it even more mysterious).

With access finally restored to my workspaces again (backstory is we had a housefire and I have been deluged with triage on other needs, while believing all my EN data was safe and I just had to work out the ipad kinks once I had some extra time).

Latest info: I got a new Win8 laptop last weekend and installed EN there. it took a loooong time to sync, but it DID see all 14,000 notes (TY to the EN-PTB!) including the 900 most recent, all via logging into my normal account. So there are *not *two accounts, and it has been updating in sync with the mother ship since the day the ipad client first glitched. But on the ipad side (version 5.x) it still cannot see anything more than the 900 newest and still has zero tags.

[i can hear it coming now -- It is just a matter of time before someone tells me to update to ios7 and be done with resisting, right?]

Sorry to hear about the house fire.  That's pretty scary.

Yes, if the prior ~14,000 notes & the new 900 notes show up on the web client & a recently sync'd Windows client, then it sounds like you're using only one account & something is muffed up on the iPad.  I don't think anyone cares if you upgrade your OS & apps or not.  :)   And it's ok as long as everything works for you.  But yeah, if something is amiss & you don't have the means to restore to a former version (IE the aforementioned Filehippo), then you must decide whether or not you're willing to work with a crippled & unsupported app on an old OS or upgrade.  Unfortunately, regular (and sometimes seemingly unnecessary) upgrades of OS, software & hardware are a part of today's digital life.   (FWIW, my main printer is an old HP that still works just fine.  But the fancy, dancy software that would display ink levels is not compatible with Windows 7.  If I printed a lot of big jobs, I guess I'd get a new printer.  But I normally only print a page or two at a time.  So I just print until the black doesn't print or the colors are off & then I change the cartridge.  :unsure: )

Archived