Mac - How to control which monitor Evernote window opens in?

jambro303

Idea

Does anyone know if you can control which monitor the Evernote window opens in when you start up?

I am using Mac OX Mavericks with a laptop and a second Thunderbolt display. I'd prefer that the Evernote window opens automatically on my laptop screen instead of the second display. Upon shutdown I always leave the box checked to open already opened app windows upon startup. Every app opens in it's original position on the original screen, except for Evernote.

I have the current version of Mac 10.9.2 and Evernote 5.5.1 as of this posting.

1 reply to this idea

I've also been trying to figure this out and this is the best I could come up with.

It seems to follow the dock by default. When I have dock positioned left, Evernote opens on the leftmost display. With dock positioned right, it opens on the rightmost display. With dock on bottom, the dock moves when the mouse is hovered at the bottom of a given display, and Evernote opens on whichever display happens to have the dock on it (probably the primary display at login). So if you can handle the dock on right or left, you can use that to control where it launches. Alternatively, you could try setting the desired screen as the primary display (System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement, then drag the menu bar to change the primary display).

If that doesn't work for you, you can try this:

Enable spaces
Right click Evernote Dock Icon
Choose Options > Assign to Desktop on Display X

Source with more details:
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how-to-assign-an-app-to-a-specific-mavericks-desktop

This did not work for me after disconnecting and reconnecting displays, but it should mostly work if you are keeping your laptop connected to the display most of the time. Your mileage may vary.

As a developer of my own software, my apps are programmed to remember the exact size and position of every window that is closed, so they can be reopened in the same spot. It would be nice if Evernote would do that, but I do understand that it does take some extra work to implement.

Archived