Note links

It seems like the note links display the name of the link, rather than the actual link. This is a problem when pasting into another program. I have discovered that if I click on "edit" the link, then I can see the actual note link address and then copy paste that. However, this seems like more trouble than it should be and I suspect I am missing a more direct way to do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Level 5*

It seems like the note links display the name of the link, rather than the actual link. This is a problem when pasting into another program. I have discovered that if I click on "edit" the link, then I can see the actual note link address and then copy paste that. However, this seems like more trouble than it should be and I suspect I am missing a more direct way to do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi. It depends on what you are doing. There are two kinds of links: a note link (green) and a share url (blue). The note link is an internal identification that wouldn't make much sense (to me) to have displayed as an address because it won't work anywhere except in your account. Notice, for example, that it begins differently than the share url:

note link

evernote:///view/520850/s1/77556bab...

share url

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/77556bab...

If you want to have the useful link address (the share url) display when pasting into another program, then you will need to use the share url instead of the note link. Here is a video showing the difference.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=488

Hope this helps!

Wow, thats great. Never saw the share link before and thus didn't know it existed. I really appreciate the explanation.

Only problem I am having is that the link opens up Evernote for the web - is there anyway to have it open up in the desktop client (Windows)?

Thanks!
David

• Level 5*

Wow, thats great. Never saw the share link before and thus didn't know it existed. I really appreciate the explanation.

Only problem I am having is that the link opens up Evernote for the web - is there anyway to have it open up in the desktop client (Windows)?

Thanks!

David

Glad I could help!

As for where the link opens, the answer is "Nope." And, you should know that the link is technically "public." Of course, it is unlikely anyone will run across it. 

Perhaps, if you explain what you are wanting to do, it might help us to provide better suggestions. What you want to do (open the note on the desktop) sounds perfect for the note link, but you also want to copy the address, and I am not sure why. 

• Level 5*

I use Asana and Rememberthemilk, and want to include links back to notes in those programs, preferably opening up in my desktop client rather than on the web. 

Ah. I see. That is way beyond what I do (I'm kind of like the Admiral Adama of Evernote -- no networking of my stuff in order to protect against a Cylon attack). Hopefully, some of our members who use more integrations can chime in with solutions.

Well, as I mentioned, the URL links to work, but it opens the notes up in the web client, rather than the desktop. Not the end of the world, but would be nice if the user had a choice. For example, when doing a web clipping, one can have the "open clip in Evernote" go straight to the desktop.

Anyway, thanks again. I am almost there and even if not possible, not the end of the world to open up on the web client. 

david

Archived