can you give me a reason why not to uninstall evernote ?

hi all,

ive had evernote installed on my pc and android phone, for well over a yr to start me off, what should i be using

i see it has many many good reviews on the playstore, yet for the life of me...i dont get it.

1) it seems to be too complicated.

2) as a beginner, what should evernot be used for initially ? the lay out of the app on android is confusing, cumbersome and has column called: notes, notebook, tags , places...why ? what do they do.

am i missing something ?

regards

• Level 5*

hi all,

ive had evernote installed on my pc and android phone, for well over a yr to start me off, what should i be using

i see it has many many good reviews on the playstore, yet for the life of me...i dont get it.

2) as a beginner, what should evernot be used for initially ? the lay out of the app on android is confusing, cumbersome and has column called: notes, notebook, tags , places...why ? what do they do.

am i missing something ?

regards

Hi. Welcome to the forums! 

There are a lot of nice uses for the app, but I suppose it all depends on your use case. Here are some nice blog posts to get you started.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=446

Do any of these use cases match up similar to yours? They might give you some ideas.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=462

thx for your kind reply,

however, it doesnt help, ive just watched a tutorial, and it talks about note book, note tags, note stacks, ??????

why all these sub categories ?

my question is, in everyday life (im a teacher) why and how would i use this app

regards

• Level 5*

thx for your kind reply,

however, it doesnt help, ive just watched a tutorial, and it talks about note book, note tags, note stacks, ??????

why all these sub categories ?

my question is, in everyday life (im a teacher) why and how would i use this app

regards

This might be a reason:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1724

You might also want to check out the use cases:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2011/01/13/10-tips-for-teachers-using-evernote-education-series/

I wouldn't get too caught up in all of the organizational features just now. I have a minimalistic view of things that doesn't use notebooks, sub-notebooks, or tags.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367

Here's an article that talks about how one teacher uses Evernote: http://plpnetwork.com/2013/06/25/evernote-teachers-classrooms/

This quote (from the above article) may help:

The key to Evernote success is that you set up some basic parameters first. Begin by coming up with some categories — don’t worry about being all inclusive, you can always add more later. I started with a notebook for each class that I taught (above). In these various class-related notebooks I stored links to articles, primary source material, books, and more. I also added notes on my lesson plans. This is a great way to organize all of that additional content that I find on the go, as I scan my personal learning network feeds. I’ve also created notebooks for my side projects (my blog, the clubs I organize, my favorite recipes, you name it).

What’s great about keeping a digital notebook of material is that it’s paperless (more green, less clutter), it’s portable (I have My notes on my cell, computer at home, and computer at work – really, anywhere I can access the internet), and it’s readily searchable! Have you ever misplaced that article you wanted to distribute in a large stack of papers? Not anymore!

hi all,

am i missing something ?

regards

I'm not a fan of trying to convince someone they should use something they've not found helpful. If you've had EN installed for a year and still don't find it useful, then maybe it's not something useful to you.

• Level 5*

hi all,

am i missing something ?

regards

I am guessing you haven't been creating notes?

EN can seem a bit confusing at first, but I think once you start creating notes, which essentially forces you to actually start using the program and it's various features, the confusion will clear and you will be kicking yourself for not having started using it years ago.  :)

Seriously, start creating notes. You will figure things out that way. And when you have specific questions, come here and ask.

I had Evernote (EN) downloaded for several months before I did more than create a couple test notes. Frankly, it did look kinda scary and overwhelming.

But after trying a few other notetaking apps that didn't work out all that well for me, I decided to give it another go. In the end, Evernote's portability is what really won me over. I love that I can access my notes from any computer and mobile device - with or withOUT installing the software. (There is a web version, though in that case you have to be online.)

In terms of what to actually put in your EN database, well that can be pretty much anything you might possibly want to remember. It really is a digital filing cabinet. And the best part? As long as you remember to sync it to EN's servers, your data is never lost. i.e. Your phone might die, but you can still retrieve your notes from any device with internet capability.

Don't forget, you can access it offline too if you use one the appropriate app for all your devices (as opposed to the Web version). Just remember to sync any changes, like new notes you added when offline, to EN - all your devices to ensure everything is safely stored - when your next online.

Cheers.

Archived