Business card scanner recognition and export to iPhone address book

I really like the new business card scanner in the iOS app, it comes very close to my ideal solution.

After the scanning process I assign the right phone number fields (mobile, work, fax) in Evernote and when I export then the contact to my iPhone address book, these fields are mixed and have not the same assignment in my iPhone address book.

Is this a bug? Could you fix it?

I'm using Evernote in German, also my iPhone is in German.

I really like the new business card scanner in the iOS app, it comes very close to my ideal solution.

After the scanning process I assign the right phone number fields (mobile, work, fax) in Evernote and when I export then the contact to my iPhone address book, these fields are mixed and have not the same assignment in my iPhone address book.

Is this a bug? Could you fix it?

I'm using Evernote in German, also my iPhone is in German.

Hmmm this sounds a bit buggy indeed. Consider using the feedback or the support options in the iOS application to let Evernote know about this in addition to your post here.  I haven't noticed this myself but that doesn't mean much. I'll give it another try too to see if I can reproduce it. 

Hi mkrause1,

After you assign the correct field labels are the labels showing up correctly on the resulting note?  I'm trying to understand if we aren't mapping the fields correctly after scanning and saving to the note or when we save from the note to the address book.  Which type of account are you using for your iPhone address book (iPhone, iCloud, Exchange, Gmail, etc).

Please contact support with these answers as this will help us narrow down where the problem is. 

As for editing the fields, you should see a "more" link on the note.  Tap this and that will expose all the data fields for editing.  We are looking to redesign this sometime soon to make it more easily accessible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MCheng,

I have checked the assignment again: Yes, in the Evernote the fields are correctly assigned and then I export. When I export to iCould account, everything is fine! I only have problems to export to my work Exchange account. I need to export to Exchange mainly. I have contacted the support.

Yes, I also found adding more fields. Unfortunately this is only possible in the iPhone app. Since I correct the scanned data in the Mac app, I would find it great if I could add more fields in the Mac app.

I like to automatic scan process in the newest iPhone app version!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi mkrause1,

We released our fix with version 7.4 or 7.4.1 which is the latest release in the market today.  If you are still seeing a mapping problem, this may be a quirk with the combo of Exchange and iOS.  

Exchange does not support “phone”, “main” or “other” labels that are used with iOS contacts. When saving data with these labels into a Contacts account sync’ed with Exchange, these labels we will map these to “work” or “work phone”, etc.  All other labels are supported.  

In addition the Exchange service only supports a maximum of one data labeled with “mobile”, two data labeled with “work” or “home” for each contact created via iOS (The desktop client may behave differently). When labeling data beyond these limits, the Exchange API in iOS will assign a random label.   This can be seen via the following steps:

1. Set up a Contact account sync’ed with Exchange on an iOS device

2. Manually create a Contact record via the iOS address book with the following info:

• home - (650) 650-6501

• home - (650) 650-6502

• home - (650) 650-6503

3. After saving this contact you should see

• home - (650) 650-6501

• home - (650) 650-6502

• work - (650) 650-6503

​I've compared this with other card scanning apps and verified that when using “phone”, “main” or “other”, these are mapped to random labels in Exchange and the same thresholds exist (ie. only 2 "home" or "work" labels).  

Archived