Search Query Question

grotesque

I have about 6k Notes.

I don't like tagging so don't even bother to tell me that. I use evernote because I can save my web clips in few strokes of keyboard.

Suppose I want to search following:-

Find all notes 

in all notebooks

with any of the (argumentum argument proof logical fallacies fallacy) words

and with (populum)

Basically I am searching for all notes that have any words among (argument proof logical fallacies fallacy)
But they must must must have (
populum)

Eg: Argumentum ad populum, fallacy of populum, fallacies of populum etc. etc.

I think this is a pretty basic query but I am for some reason not able to make this work or find any documentation about this. All I found was this. Frankly that documentation is kind of a blowfish, it appears to be complex and deep but it just repeats same thing again and again.

Is evernote capable of helping me with a pretty basic search? If not then boy what a half assed product you got here.

• Level 5*

If you want to drive nails but don't like hammers it puts a bit of a limit on the suggestions.  However Evernote doesn't do AND directly.  You'd need to do the ANY words search,  then check those results for your AND word(s).

OK. So I am expected to search following:-

1> Search All notebooks matching All of following: containing words starting with argument, populum

2> Search All notebooks matching All of following: containing words starting with proof, populum

3> Search All notebooks matching All of following: containing words starting with logical, populum

4> Search All notebooks matching All of following: containing words starting with fallacies, populum

5> Search All notebooks matching All of following: containing words starting with fallacy, populum

So you expect me to fire 5 searches?

I am a kernel developer here. Hence I speak from a developers intuition, I think you guys could do that internally very easily.

Frankly an update that does just that will be actually useful than those pretty GUI changes.

• Level 5*

You cannot do mixed AND / OR searches in Evernote using the search language. Relevant section of the cited reference:

Evernote's search grammar is a simple list of terms which are evaluated within a notebook (or "all notebooks") to find a match. By default, the search results are the intersection of the notes that match each individual search term. This behavior changes if the "any:" modifier is found in the search. In this case, the search is executed as a union of the matches of the individual terms, and notes will be returned that match any of the criteria terms. The results are obviously identical if there is only one search term.

You cannot do mixed AND / OR searches in Evernote using the search language. Relevant section of the cited reference:

Evernote's search grammar is a simple list of terms which are evaluated within a notebook (or "all notebooks") to find a match. By default, the search results are the intersection of the notes that match each individual search term. This behavior changes if the "any:" modifier is found in the search. In this case, the search is executed as a union of the matches of the individual terms, and notes will be returned that match any of the criteria terms. The results are obviously identical if there is only one search term.

The "CANNOT" part is not at all apparent to me.

But who am I but a lowly evernote yearly premuim(once) user with 6k notes and the inability to find things easily.

Now I get why you push tagging like Obama pushes health insurance.

• Level 5*

I would have thought that kernel developers were expected to be able to read and understand technical documentation. Anyways:

"By default, the search results are the intersection" : that's an AND search.

''if the "any:" modifier is found in the search. In this case, the search is executed as a union.." : that's an OR search.

No in-betweens that I can see, but maybe you haven't completed your research into proofs yet...

By the way; the 'you' bit: gazumped and I are not Evernote employees -- we're users, just like you.

I would have thought that kernel developers were expected to be able to read and understand technical documentation.

As well as being able to find/use workarounds...like using tags (IE, useful tools provided by the software developer)...in order to accomplish a goal. IOW, using a tag to tag all the "any" results & then "and" that with another search phrase.

I would have thought that kernel developers were expected to be able to read and understand technical documentation. Anyways:

''if the "any:" modifier is found in the search. In this case, the search is executed as a union.." : that's an OR search.

No in-betweens that I can see, but maybe you haven't completed your research into proofs yet...

By the way; the 'you' bit: gazumped and I are not Evernote employees -- we're users, just like you.

Yes they are and due to the completely provable(if required) fact that I work at a giant corporation which is successful in turning a profit to pay me, maybe your documentation needs to be taken a look at.

Anyway, all I can do now is hope for some evernote PM to stumble on this thread while he is researching which Rolls Royce model to buy next. I hope he feels shame.

Bye.

PS: keywords for search engine rolls royce wraith, phantom, ghost.

• Level 5*

Just to be clear, my opinion is that the workaround ain't all that great (doesn't scale well), and having mixed AND / OR searches would be very useful (as has been opined in a number of other forum posts, including by me).

Yes they are and due to the completely provable(if required) fact that I work at a giant corporation which is successful in turning a profit to pay me, maybe your documentation needs to be taken a look at.

Anyway, all I can do now is hope for some evernote PM to stumble on this thread while he is researching which Rolls Royce model to buy next. I hope he feels shame.

Bye.

PS: keywords for search engine rolls royce wraith, phantom, ghost.

As I PM, I fear that I've made a poor career choice and should've been a kernel developer instead. Anyways, thanks for the feedback. It has been posted before and I'll add another +1 to it.

Archived