I nested some tags on my Mac, then synced with my iPad EN 7.3.1.  The nesting does not show up on the iPad.  I see the notes in question but they are un-nested, despite remaining nested on the Mac.  Is there a way to see on the iPad the tags as nested? thanks

Nested tags on iPad sadly are not possible. This is discussed since years, since evernote introduced this exciting feature to organize tasks hierarchically but never truly brought it to an end.

You could give the app "Clever HD" a try, which shows your evernote tags hierarchically in one big list (not collapsable)  - not the best option in my opinion as it lacks some other features of evernote like search within pdf's and local notebooks (real offline access), and some crashes in my experience.

For my part, I am slowly getting tired to wait for evernote allowing the "files and folders"-thinking people among us to organize our notes. Microsofts OneNote just started some days ago on Mac, with a quite good looking counterpart for the iPad. It is still in its infancy, so still incomparable to many functions of evernote. But so much more naturally useable if you want noteBOOKS, not just bunches of loose notes where your search function hopefully will find something...

not just bunches of loose notes where your search function hopefully will find something...

Using tags, keywords & descriptive titles allows you to use the powerful EN search engine so you can easily & quickly find notes. I have over 63,000 notes and yet most of my searches are across all notebooks, not relegated to a single notebook. And yet I can easily find the note(s) I'm looking for.

not just bunches of loose notes where your search function hopefully will find something...

Using tags, keywords & descriptive titles allows you to use the powerful EN search engine so you can easily & quickly find notes. I have over 63,000 notes and yet most of my searches are across all notebooks, not relegated to a single notebook. And yet I can easily find the note(s) I'm looking for.

That IS true. I regret my last sentence was in fact unfair. Evernote's search engine found everything I was looking for - up to now, I am still at < 1000 notes and attachments.

But I also still do not like the "black hole" my notes go to in evernote for iOS.

- In Windows, tags quite nicely can be sorted hierarchically, so it is possible to produce structured books.

- In OSX, it already gets harder, as tags can be sorted hierarchically, but the structure is badly visualized and editing tags is not possible in the sidebar. What worries me, is, that this got worse with the latest redesign of evernote.

- In iOS, tags structure is inexistent. Having in mind for example a nice reference manual, thats were it ends to be just ... bunches of loose notes. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Monthes and years go by, where do you go, evernote?

Is there any chance to see nested tags in iOS in the near future?

I do not like to throw my notes into a black hole, depending on a search functionality which may or may not find something for me!

So I must have a possibility to organize my tags and review them!

-------

iOS version should have, just like the windows/web version:

- NESTED TAGS, NESTED TAGS, NESTED TAGS

- sorting tags within a tags structure

- tagging notes with, yes again, selecting from a list of nested tags

- Filter by notebook first, then by tags

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently discovered The Secret Weapon and love the idea, but can't implement it on my iPad. I can't even access the web version through the iPad browser and am forced to use the app. This is the first time that I've been disappointed with Evernote, until now I thought it was the answer to everything - almost like 'there's an app for that' I could say 'you can use Evernote for that'.

It may well be a visual thing and not imply any real hierarchy, but for those of us who are visual thinkers, being able to see the hierarchy and group our tags is a valid thing, not something that we should have to find a work around for.

Come on Evernote, share the development love and put it in the next version and if there's a reason why you can't please share that instead.

• 3 months later...

I recently discovered The Secret Weapon and love the idea, but can't implement it on my iPad. I can't even access the web version through the iPad browser and am forced to use the app. This is the first time that I've been disappointed with Evernote, until now I thought it was the answer to everything - almost like 'there's an app for that' I could say 'you can use Evernote for that'.

It may well be a visual thing and not imply any real hierarchy, but for those of us who are visual thinkers, being able to see the hierarchy and group our tags is a valid thing, not something that we should have to find a work around for.

Come on Evernote, share the development love and put it in the next version and if there's a reason why you can't please share that instead.

I totally agree with you. It's the first time that I'm thinking "how come they didn't think about this before?". I've been using Evernote for years and never used tags. By recently I got into the GTD method and rearranged all my notebook into tags. The method is awesome and it's nice to use on windows, not that good on OS X and it's a terrible experience to use it on iOS. Which is a must have because I use it a lot on the go and outside the office.

• 1 year later...

Please add nested tagging to IOS. I so much want to do my work in the living room on my ipad. Anytime I need to be able to find my docs, I have to go to ta desktop computer.  Is there any 3rd party app or any possibility of being a beta tester of this feature? This has been years and is long overdue. At some point, a competitor will come up with this feature and the ability to migrate easily. I'm waiting for either EN to come up with this feature or another developer. 

Archived