Feature Request: check boxes activated in presentation mode

First off: Great work with Evernote. I use it for note taking and even data management for a major research project at UCSF. I'm constantly finding new ways to utilize the app and share data with collaborators. 

Check Boxes: I make lists a lot, but checking off the boxes is annoying on just about any platform (I use iOS and Mac mostly, also Android and Windows 7). I know this topic has already been addressed, but an idea for an easy fix... allow checking of boxes in presentation mode. That mode effectively locks out text editing, but if you could quickly throw a note in presentation mode and check off the boxes, it would be a super clean way to improve the check list functionality within existing features.

If someone knows of another way to check off boxes without launching full editing and keyboard, definitely let me know. I may have missed it.

Thanks

A

Hi there,

I am not sure I understand your problem with checking the checkboxes. 

In both Mac and iOS, when viewing the note with checkboxes, you can tap (iOS) or click (Mac) directly over the checkbox to 'check' it without entering the 'edit mode'.

What would be an advantage on enabling check box 'checking' in presentation mode over the current behavior? If you want to check the checkboxes while presenting, this is also possible already in Mac when you have dual monitor possibility (you can edit note using evernote client while presenting the same note in other screen).

Thanks

• Level 5*

I am not sure I understand your problem with checking the checkboxes.

I think the OP may be using presentation mode on a single display and not projecting onto a secondary display.  If you launch a note with checkboxes into presentation mode you can't tap the checkbox to check it.  You have to leave presentation mode make the edit and then go back into presentation mode to see the change.

In Windows, the checkbox doesn't render in presentation mode.  It displays as a broken image.  I am also having trouble getting it to display on a secondary screen.  Most of the time the presentation screen shows on the primary display only and I cannot get it to show on the other.  Also, when presenting to a secondary screen, edits on the primary do not show in the presentation screen.  I have to exit presentation mode and relaunch for the edits to show.

The issue with clicking the check boxes is that on a mobile device, it's really difficult to hit right on the check box. If you miss at all, it opens the keyboard for editing the note rather than simply checking the box. My thought was that if you could check the boxes in presentation mode, you would avoid the possibility of editing the note and simply view or check/uncheck the boxes.

• 4 months later...

Being able to 'check' checkboxes in presentation mode does not sound really something you would do when presenting. It more like a workaround for making 'checking' the checkboxes easier. I will make sure we have a ticket in iOS side to improve the checkboxes checking instead of trying to change this in presentation mode.

• Level 5*

Being able to 'check' checkboxes in presentation mode does not sound really something you would do when presenting.

That depends.  If this will be used only for presenting information, then I agree with you, but if presentation mode is to be used to present "and" collect information during a (for example) development meeting then the need exists to be able to edit the presentation live including checking checkboxes for things like todo lists or attendee lists.  The video for presentation mode on the Evernote site actually shows it being used this way and not just as a static presentation tool.

Archived