Search Function

tim23795

Idea

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I've discovered that search will not find the search term in a notebook's title (just in a note). Has anyone else found this?

Tim, it should work.  If you search for "news" (without the quotes), Evernote will search for WORDS that begin with "news" in all of the following:  Title, Tags, Note body.

If this is not working for you, please provide us with a specific example of the Search term you used, and the Title it should have found.  Also provide your EN Mac and Mac OS version numbers.

I was referring to a word in the name of the "notebook" and not the title of the "note". In other words, if you have a Notebook called "Finance" but none of the individual Notes in the Notebook have a note with the word "finance" in it, the search function won't point you towards that folder. I could see where that would be helpful when you have a lot of Notebooks.

• Level 5*

I was referring to a word in the name of the "notebook" and not the title of the "note". In other words, if you have a Notebook called "Finance" but none of the individual Notes in the Notebook have a note with the word "finance" in it, the search function won't point you towards that folder. I could see where that would be helpful when you have a lot of Notebooks.

Hi. For a search like that, I'd recommend the advanced search grammar. 

notebook:Finance

As far as I know, notebook names do not turn up in regular searches. I could see arguments for both behaviors, but this seems to be the method they have chosen.

• Level 5*

Hi. For a search like that, I'd recommend the advanced search grammar. 

notebook:Finance

As far as I know, notebook names do not turn up in regular searches. I could see arguments for both behaviors, but this seems to be the method they have chosen.

Correct. You cannot search the notebook name space. Tags, yes, notebooks (and stacks), no. In search, the only thing that you can do with a notebook or a stack is use at most one of them to set search context (e.g. notebook:Finance or stack:Personal).

Archived