How to Sync from the Web to my computer?

Since my computer crashed I've had to reinstall Windows 7 and just reinstalled Evernote as well.

How do I sync my notes from what is saved on the web to my new install that has nothing in it. I'm afraid if I hit "sync" the web notes will be replaced by my empty notes on my laptop.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

thanks

• Level 5*

Since my computer crashed I've had to reinstall Windows 7 and just reinstalled Evernote as well.

How do I sync my notes from what is saved on the web to my new install that has nothing in it. I'm afraid if I hit "sync" the web notes will be replaced by my empty notes on my laptop.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

thanks

Hi. Just press sync. Well, actually, as soon as you log into your account, your notes ought to automatically sync. You shouldn't even have to press the button.

Thank you GrumpyMonkey for your quick reply.

It did start to sync automatically and I stopped it for fear that it would sync from my computer to the web instead of the other way around and I was afaid I'd end up with zero notes.

So, if I understand you correctly, any change I make online or on my computer will be synced so that both are the same?

• Level 5*

Thank you GrumpyMonkey for your quick reply.

It did start to sync automatically and I stopped it for fear that it would sync from my computer to the web instead of the other way around and I was afaid I'd end up with zero notes.

So, if I understand you correctly, any change I make online or on my computer will be synced so that both are the same?

Yes. You got it!

Here is the technical answer. Every note has a unique identification number (you normally cannot see this). Because of this, Evernote knows the difference between notes, even if they are all titled exactly the same. Nothing should be overwritten based on the scenario you described. As you go forward, even if you make changes to a note at exactly the same time on different devices, Evernote will recognize this as a problem and alert you by creating a conflicted notes notebook (on Windows). It is quite difficult to lose a note or accidentally overwrite data.

HOWEVER, data loss does rarely occur (usually through user error, but weird things sometimes happen, and I have lost some data over the last six years). There are ways to recover any lost data through Evernote's note histories, and that is usually sufficient, but I strongly recommend backups (for any software), just in case. It is always a good idea to protect yourself from unforeseen problems. It will never be an issue for most users, but it is easy and inexpensive extra protection, so I think it is worth the tiny bit of extra effort.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=962

Archived