Tab Reader - A feature that would improve Evernote usability

Hi all, I had an idea that I think would improve Evernote usability, a tab reader.

I'm using EN desktop on Windows, so I'm talking from that perspective, I'm not familiar with EN on other platforms. 

Opening a note in a new window is the best way to read, access and modify its content. The note is full page, the scroll position is kept and so on...

The problem is that when you have opened one ore more note then switching from one note to the other is a bit annoying and frustrating. 

So why not do what modern browsers do with tabs?  Have an option to open notes in a tab viewer so that it's possible to access them using the same window and clicking on the relevant tab. The scroll position of each is kept and the notes show at full page.  The option to open notes normally would still be there for those who want. 

This would apply to desktop version only but i guess it could be implemented on browser as well.

Please share your thoughts on this.

thanks for reading

Frank

I definitely think that some form of tabbing could be useful, especially since if you double-click a note, you are simply reproducing the main window contents (though this is just like various other existing apps, so not altogether that unusual. However, part of the tab functionality would be competing or reproducing the "recent notes" section of the sidebar in terms of effect. The exact execution would have to be carefully thought out. 

In the meantime, I believe ctrl-tab should switch between open app windows. 

• Level 5*

Have a look at Evernote's App Center - there are a variety of display options there.  I'm sure I have seen a Web based tool that allows you to edit notes via a smart desktop,  but I can't for the life of me find it - too much input,  too few tags!

Have a look at Evernote's App Center - there are a variety of display options there.  I'm sure I have seen a Web based tool that allows you to edit notes via a smart desktop,  but I can't for the life of me find it - too much input,  too few tags!

I looked at App Center but couldn't find something that did what I described but thanks for the advice.

• 4 months later...

The developers will have spotted the idea as a possible future feature (Evernote staffers do read these pages...)

OK that's good to know, hopefully they will read it.  Thank you for the reply Gazumped.    I know that things are easier said than done but in this case I believe creating a tabbed container for opened notes is very much possible and not so far fetched.  

Ok this is off topic, but relevent.  If you are doing real work with Evernote on a desk top, one monitor screen is not enough, The productivity of seeing 4, 5, or 6 notes all opened out is just off the charts for me. I've aways  looked at people with multiple monitors as a luxery but money was an issue. Now  . . . .having broken down and gotting a second wide screen monior I have concluded a second monitor is THE most essential thing to have with a desk top computer . . . if you are trying to do work

• Level 5*

Ok this is off topic, but relevent.  If you are doing real work with Evernote on a desk top, one monitor screen is not enough, The productivity of seeing 4, 5, or 6 notes all opened out is just off the charts for me. I've aways  looked at people with multiple monitors as a luxery but money was an issue. Now  . . . .having broken down and gotting a second wide screen monior I have concluded a second monitor is THE most essential thing to have with a desk top computer . . . if you are trying to do work

Not sure I totally agree - I do use 3 screens at Mission Control to spread the work out,  but Evernote stays available on the left-most panel and I pop notes out to edit on the central screen which is my 'focus' area.  I've not yet had a need for multiple notes on all three screens though...

Archived