(Archived) Porting notes after laptop died

Springboard

So I had made a number of changes to notes in one of my Evernote notebooks, when a few minutes later my laptop died.  It appears to be the motherboard, so I should be able to get my files from the hard drive.  It looks like a number of the changes did not autosync, so I'm wondering if I can just grab the username.exb file from the dead laptop and copy it to another Evernote-endowed laptop (overwriting the file of the same name)?  I had tried syncing Evernote on the working laptop, but I don't believe I've made any changes to the notes since the changes on the dead laptop.  Is it that easy, or will I run into some kind of sync problems or other problems?  Should I replace the whole Evernote folder instead?  Or do I need to uninstall Evernote from the working computer and reinstall a blank Evernote first?

Thanks for the advice.  I don't want to lose my changes, but I also don't want to mess everything up.

So I had made a number of changes to notes in one of my Evernote notebooks, when a few minutes later my laptop died. It appears to be the motherboard, so I should be able to get my files from the hard drive. It looks like a number of the changes did not autosync, so I'm wondering if I can just grab the username.exb file from the dead laptop and copy it to another Evernote-endowed laptop (overwriting the file of the same name)?

Yes, as long as you'll be using the same major release of EN. I'm not sure a version 5 exb file is compatible with version 4 & vice versa. However, since you were in the middle of syncing, it may be best to copy the entire EN data folder over, in case there are any temporary work files that may be needed.

Ah, thanks. I hadn't thought about the different versions. The working laptop does have a newer version -- the UI has changed to look more "Mac-like" to me, with some other changes like suggested relevant notes. Is there a way to step back to a previous version?

Ah, thanks. I hadn't thought about the different versions. The working laptop does have a newer version -- the UI has changed to look more "Mac-like" to me, with some other changes like suggested relevant notes. Is there a way to step back to a previous version?

AFAIK, Evernote does not keep old versions handy for the public. However, if you don't have a copy of an old, install file on a backup, you may be able to get one from someplace like filehippo. Or maybe EN would provide a link for you, if you submit a support ticket. Or...maybe they can confirm the V4 exb file is compatible with V5.

Archived