Viewing Forum Threads

Does anyone know of a way to set the forum threads to appear on-screen so that the newest post is always at the top when you open the thread?  I can see the option to use Descending versus Ascending on the main forum boards, but not for individual topic threads.  I'm on Windows 7.

Thanks! :)

• Level 5*

Does anyone know of a way to set the forum threads to appear on-screen so that the newest post is always at the top when you open the thread?  I can see the option to use Descending versus Ascending on the main forum boards, but not for individual topic threads.  I'm on Windows 7.

Thanks! :)

Yes. 

When you are viewing a thread, move your mouse around to the right of the title (somewhere around there) until you see a little arrow appear. Press that and the topic will unfold to show the first and last posts. 

By the way, Jefito's moderator status is hereby revoked for not knowing this. Shame on him :)

Battle of the mods... Grabbing popcorn. ;-)

FWIW, I don't know the answer. I usually just click "view latest unread" that is available with the method GM mentioned. I would think reading backwards from the *newest* post could be a bit confusing...like when someone sends you an email that has a lot of history & you have to start reading from the bottom up.

• Level 5*

True. It gets you to the "newest" post, though. The closest thing to achieve the OP's goal seems like a "solution" of sorts to me. +1 for GM :)

Seriously, though, as far as I know, we don't have this option. Personally, I like it when forums do have it. I don't find it confusing at all, especially when people are quoting earlier posts. It is a faster way to get a sense of the current state of the thread. Of course, on the other hand, it discourages people from reading the entire thread.

• Level 5*

Battle of the mods... Grabbing popcorn. ;-)

Nah, no fight here. GM is great -- I like and appreciate what he does on these forums, even when he is dead wrong.

:)

• Level 5*

True. It gets you to the "newest" post, though. The closest thing to achieve the OP's goal seems like a "solution" of sorts to me. +1 for GM :)

Hrmmmph, maybe you should "like" your own post. :)

Seriously, though, as far as I know, we don't have this option. Personally, I like it when forums do have it. I don't find it confusing at all, especially when people are quoting earlier posts. It is a faster way to get a sense of the current state of the thread. Of course, on the other hand, it discourages people from reading the entire thread.

I generally read books front-to-back, myself. Just makes more sense to me, somehow, and flows more naturally. I know that some folks prefer the opposite, and it seems as though the option should be there. Vive la différence. Quoting is good, in general, when done judiciously, overquoting can be confusing.

Okay, all of you Mods have successfully confused. :0

So first I'm going to try and recap what I asking and why:

▶ When I open a thread in Windows (rather than my Android phone or tablet) that I have *not* previously opened, it takes me to the first (OP's) post. If I have already viewed a thread at least one, it automatically takes me to the first post I have not yet read.

● A lot of time, I am digging through old posts from long before I was active on the forum. I do this when looking for ideas and/or answers.

● As many of the are several pages long, I find it useful to scan the most recent replies to decide if I want to read the whole thread. If I do want to, then I don't mind the effort to navigate back to the OP.

▶ But as it stands right now, I don't see a way to quickly jump to last page of posts when I open a thread for the first time.

The forum set-up itself is a common, generic format used by many online groups. With good reason, as it's a very user-friendly design.

What I'd like to see is the feature I've seen and used at other sites with an identical forum design. The feature is generally called "Thread Tools" and it normally appears in the upper left hand corned of each thread once you open it (the thread). It usually has a few "Sort By" options that pop-up when you click on Thread Tools, including Acsending or Decsending Order. Just like we can already do when viewing the list of posts for each Topic Board.

So, am I just not seeing this option or do we not have it?

p.s. Please pardon my rambling. My furballs have chosen to not let me have any sleep at all in the last couple days.

• Level 5*

There is no such option that any of us confused moderators can find. GM found a way to show the *last* post, not quite the same thing.

We can see the use for such an option.

When I am browsing the forum, each multi-page topic will have a list of links to its pages (if it's very long, it will have links to the first three pages, and one to the last page). Click on the last one, and it will take you to the end.

• Level 5*

If you go to the main page for any of the forums like the web clipper forinstance,  there's a 'follow this forum' button which I've used for all the areas where I feel I have any expertise.  The 'follow' button gets me email leads for each and every new post,  which take me to the relevant thread.  Most times it's pretty new,  so I see all the posts anyway.  Sometimes I'm at the bottom of a page and I can Ctrl-Home (Windows!) to get to the top.  Rarely it's page 4 of a long thread and I Ctrl-End to get to the bottom and start reading from Page 1 or to jump to the end.  Maybe I just didn't follow the arguments here but all the above works pretty well for me (except for when Google spamlists all my incoming emails...)

Apologies in this expert group if I'm just repeating what you already do anyway,  but I've had a bad day or two...

B)

On the right hand side, you will see the last person to post and a date and time, click on the date and time and you will go to that last post, you will have to scroll up to see posts just before it. 

Archived