Handwriting not showing up

I am trying to use the newly released handwriting option on my Nexus 7(2013 version). I recently updated the application but did not see the handwriting tool. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app about 3 times and still have not been able to use the handwriting option at all. Anyone else having problems with this? Could it be because I don't haze the current version? Any help would be appreciated. (Also I have sent a troubleshooting message to Evernote but I'm not sure about when they will reply)

post-187222-0-81848400-1394601288_thumb.

post-187222-0-12302600-1394601471_thumb.

• Level 5*

To get a response from Evernote raise a support ticket (see below).  I have the same Evernote version as you but instead of a camera icon I get a handwriting icon.  Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

• Level 5*

To select the Android handwriting function:

* Click on the paperclip icon at the top of the screen

* Select "Handwriting"

At least the third time I've answered this one, and the first time it took me a while to figure it out. I think this UI is not as clear as it could be...

• Level 5*

As I said - I have a handwriting icon where the OP's camera icon is in the picture above.  What's with that?  Differences in manufacturer OS?

You can change icon that via the menu that you get when you click on the paperclip icon. If you select Handwriting, then the Handwriting icon will appear. Other selections are: Camera, Document Camera, Speech-to-text, Audio Recording.

I don't know why it defaults to Handwriting on some devices, and Camera on others. This is not an uninstall/reinstall problem, it's learning to use the UI...

• Level 5*

I was confused (not usually a long trip) but I see that if you use the paperclip and choose a note type  - picture or handwriting etc - the icon then preserves your choice and shows that note type presumably on the basis that you'll probably want to make that sort of note again.  Anyone who hasn't yet used Handwriting won't see it as an option.  I agree with @Jeff;  I don't think a paperclip is something that anyone would equate to 'choose type of note'.  That's an attachment,  and the paperclip is quite reasonable for that option.  That was the basis for my mistake anyway.  My phone shows the handwriting icon because I played with it initially.

Wow. That was a simple fix. Thank you! I did associate the paperclip as adding a document so I never thought that it was meant to add handwriting or anything else. I just started using Evernote for school and I had been trying to use handwriting for a long time. Thank you again!

• Level 5*

I tried what you said to have the Handwriting tool but it didn't work.

I still can't have it, even after uninstall and reinstall the App...

Can you list out exactly what you're doing to open a new note?

Open Evernote

Tap 'New Note'

Tap paperclip icon..

etc

• Level 5*

..and 'fichier' takes you to...?

Another quick check - close your new note,  but while still in Evernote go to Settings > (scroll down) Support > Current Evernote Version.  Are you on 5.7,  5.8??

I have the free version, 5.8, and can't find the handwriting option either. 

I open evernote, choose "New Note," select the + icon and then "see all" and have these options: picture, file, video, audio, camera, document camera, audio recording, speech-to-text, and skitch. There's no paperclip icon anywhere. Any ideas?

• Level 5*

It doesn't appear to the a premium vs. free version thing. It may be an Android version thing. I don't see handwriting on my Kindle Fire, which is based on Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3), but I have it on my Nexus 7 and Motorola RAZR MAXX phone, both based on a more up-to-date Android version. I don't know whether handwriting will be extended to Gingerbread devices, if that's what the difference is.

Same problem here. I am subscribed to Evernote Premium, have an HTC Desire HD phone (Android version 2.3.5) and have Evernote Android 5.8.1 installed - the handwriting option is NOT available even though I followed all the steps suggested above. Does this mean the handwriting option is not available on phones that only support older versions of the Android operating system?

• Level 5*

Same problem here. I am subscribed to Evernote Premium, have an HTC Desire HD phone (Android version 2.3.5) and have Evernote Android 5.8.1 installed - the handwriting option is NOT available even though I followed all the steps suggested above. Does this mean the handwriting option is not available on phones that only support older versions of the Android operating system?

That would be the question: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/55017-handwriting-not-showing-up/?p=267571

• 2 weeks later...

I open evernote, choose "New Note," select the + icon and then "see all" and have these options: picture, file, video, audio, camera, document camera, audio recording, speech-to-text, and skitch. There's no paperclip icon anywhere. Any ideas?

Same here on Samsung S3 Mini running Android 3

I emailed back and forth with customer support about this and finally got them to tell me that it's not available for anything older than Android 3. 

• Level 5*

I emailed back and forth with customer support about this and finally got them to tell me that it's not available for anything older than Android 3. 

Thanks for coming back to tell us - don't see why it should have been difficult for the team to give is this information;  if older version of Android don't support the handwriting feature,  then they don't.  It's not like it's a failing on Evernote's part..  maybe they didn't realise that would be the case.

Archived