(Archived) Sync from Evernote Folder

dbvirago

Using Windows client

I have been using an Evernote folder to sync documents from my PC for over a year without a problem. I leave the docs there for a local backup.

Today, after rebooting my computer, Evernote re-synced over 300 documents into my input folder.

Obvioiusly, I can move the files to another directory, but was curios what happened and how to prevent it

• Level 5*

Hi - obviously the flag that tells Evernote 'these files have already been imported' got lost somewhere,  so Evernote re-imported everything.  I don't keep anything in my import folder - if I have anything to archive,  a copy goes into the folder,  and Evernote deletes it on import to keep things tidy.  An update might have caused this,  or just the IT gods decided to have fun with you.  The answer is what you said - don't keep stuff in there!

;)

• Level 5*

Just a note: the "flag that tells Evernote 'these files have already been imported'" is part of the OS; as best I can tell, Evernote doesn't maintain the files that have or have not been imported previously. I believe that Evernote relies on the Microsoft Directory Change Notification API; this allows Evernote to receive notifications when changes to a particular directory folder occur, such as creating, deleting or renaming a file, but also including other attributes such as file size changes, security attribute changes, etc. (see the MSDN documentation for one of the members of that API: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364417(v=vs.85).aspx). Any changes picked up via this mechanism would need to occur while Evernote is running, by the way -- Evernote can't monitor changes when it's not active.

Not really sure what would have caused this, though. Your activity log will tell you that a file has been imported, and when, but not why.

• Level 5*

Just a note: the "flag that tells Evernote 'these files have already been imported'" is part of the OS; as best I can tell, Evernote doesn't maintain the files that have or have not been imported previously. I believe that Evernote relies on the Microsoft Directory Change Notification API; this allows Evernote to receive notifications when changes to a particular directory folder occur, such as creating, deleting or renaming a file, but also including other attributes such as file size changes, security attribute changes, etc. (see the MSDN documentation for one of the members of that API: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364417(v=vs.85).aspx). Any changes picked up via this mechanism would need to occur while Evernote is running, by the way -- Evernote can't monitor changes when it's not active.

Not really sure what would have caused this, though. Your activity log will tell you that a file has been imported, and when, but not why.

Was tryin' not to be technical...   :P

• Level 5*

Was tryin' not to be technical...   :P

Ah well, you know... :) Still a bit of a mystery, though...

Archived