Conflicting changes and losing notes

Honestly folks a note taking app that makes what I write disappear or go into confusing "conflicting changes" limbo makes my life more frustrating.

I have to manually remember to sync the device I am on before I create a new note or modify an existing one? I can't do anything if I'm not synced? And I'm paying for premium.

I've looked through the threads and the only advice I get is "Oh, just remember to sync every time before you create or modify."

WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN:

I want to create or modify a note and I'm not online

Conflicting changes start appearing in notes and notebooks.

What do I do?

Because I don't have internet connection always and it looks like Evernote is just an invitation for frustration and losing notes.

Please help I am about to become an ex-Evernote user and escape from this cult.

• Level 5*

WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN:

I want to create or modify a note and I'm not online

That's fine, but in that case, don't edit the same note on a different device until you've 1) synced the note from the first device to the Evernote servers, and 2) synced the note down to your other device. If you edit two separate versions of the same note on different devices, Evernote won't know which one is the master note, so it just declares the two versions as conflicting.

Conflicting changes start appearing in notes and notebooks.

What do I do?

Try not to get into situations where conflicting notes occur. That is, don't edit the same note on separate devices without syncing.

It may be possible for Evernote to eventually add the ability to automatically merge changes to simultaneously modified notes, or provide better tools for resolving conflicts, but even so, the best strategy is just to try to avoid the situation altogether.

I have to manually remember to sync the device I am on before I create a new note or modify an existing one? I can't do anything if I'm not synced? And I'm paying for premium.

Cloud apps (not just Evernote) are funny that way.  If I make changes to my Toodledo list on my PC but don't sync it, I don't see the changes from my phone, when I'm at the grocery, no matter how many times I sync my phone.  Or if I put a document into my Dropbox folder but shut down my computer before it's sync'd to the cloud, I can't access that note from my phone.  And yeah, you have to sync the changes DOWN before you can see them on a different computer/device for all three (EN, Toodledo, Dropbox) apps.

If you're premium, you can have offline notebooks on your mobile device.  You need to specify what notebooks are to be offline & fully sync when you have a connection.  Please search the board on offline notebooks for more info.

Archived